Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill.brandonj

ejection posistion

what is the desired...or is there one point or general direction of brass ejection...my gun is different from my brothers and they are both grendels....i would think they'd be the same...his throws all his brass factory or handload to the one o clock and mine is about the three , 3.30
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My experience shows if a rifle has more gas pressure the brass seems to land in the 1 to 2 O Clock position. I put an H-2 buffer in my carbine and now brass lands in 2 to 3 O Clock. My friends A-2 stock 6.5 Grendel throws brass to 5 or 6 O Clock pattern. I have no proof but my thinking is a high gas setting is causing the brass to hit the shell deflector and kicking brass forward. My brass shows dings from hitting the deflector. On my new 20" barrel with rifle length gas system with adjustable gas block I'm getting 3 to 5 O Clock ejection pattern and no dings. I started out using a T-2 buffer in a mil spec 6 position stock with the 20" in barrel. I had to back the screw out so far on the gas block that I switched to a standard buffer. I'm also running an M-16 bolt carrier with my 20" barrel. My 16" is a CAR length with standard carrier and commercial six position stock.

Comment

You will hear all kinds of diagnostics based upon brass ejection direction. It's all pretty much meaningless. I tune all my AR's I use on the match line to eject at the 1-2:00 direction simply out of courtesy, so they don't land on the competitor to my right. I do this by trimming the length of the ejector spring until I get the desired direction. Normally it takes about one coil removed from the spring.

I've had many, so called AR experts tell me that I'm flirting with reliability by doing this. It's Mil Spec or nothing for these guys which means ejection to the 3-5:00 position and many times heavily dented cases. However, I have fired tens of thousands of rounds with trimmed springs with no problems related to the trimmed ejection springs.

You can tune with an adjustable gas block, with buffer weights, or by trimming the spring like I do. There is no right answer. It's what you prefer. For me I prefer reliable operation, dent free cases and ejection to 1-2:00.

If you decide to trim the ejector spring, buy a pack of five springs, keep the stock one and trim a couple of the new ones by grinding the end off on a bench grinder, 1/2 and a full coil. Then you can try them both at the range and see what they do. I would also bring a spare roll pin and ejector and a towel to catch any flying small parts.

Bob

Comment

• hill.brandonj

okay cool...as always thanks to you guys

i just thought it was odd but i understand

thanks

Comment

• michaelmew

I just found out that my new upper ejects to 1 oclock ish.

Bob, good advice, but how do I make it go the other way? The range I shoot at won't let you pickup anything that falls in front of the firing line. I lost 20 rounds I could save for reloading. Sorry for the guy next to me, but I'd rather have the brass and apologize if any hits him. 4-5 is where my old upper ejected and that seemed to work great. Also, do you do anything to effect distance or just direction?

-mm

Comment

The distance and direction are related, but not in that much of a predictable way because of the deflector, well, deflecting.
            One thing you could try is stretching out the ejector spring slightly or shimming it with a short piece of wire the diameter of the spring. Before you try anything though get some extra ejector springs. They are cheap insurance.
            Bob

Comment

My 20" SAOD upper ejects into neat little piles of undamaged brass at 4:00. My fellow competitors on my right side never complain. They might at 2-3 however.

Comment

parallax, you must not be shooting prone position with silly competitors wearing shorts to your right, I've heard the sound of sizzling flesh before I tuned mine
                Bob

Comment

Lots of prone, they can wear shorts at their own peril.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

stokesjr one of these days I'll learn to wait on posting for you guys to chime in first. I used to think I've done a lot of shooting till I start reading on here. I'll have to admit most of my shooting has been with pistols and rimfires but it amazes me the amount of knowledge that gets floated on this site. I'm just addicted to the AR's and the 6.5 Grendel plus this site right now.

This site is great for novices like me who are eager to learn all they can about this platform. Thanks veteran 6.5 Grendel shooters for your dedication to the sport and the info you post on this site.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

+1 for vascar2! i am very appreciative of the time yall take and more than anything the patience you have for dummies like myself ...i know you have seen most the questions time and time again and yet yall still answer for us

Thanks!

Comment

• rasp65
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Hill Check out these slow motion video's of different ARs ejection patterns and what causes it. http://brassfetcher.com/index_files/WeaponFunction.htm

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Thanks. Will check that out when I get hkme

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Rasper-nice vids. I almost got the beo first, glad I found the other. Slo mo- almost makes you wonder?=How come I get under a dime size group always , from an AR--when I try my best. That rifle shakes so bad-like shooting an arrow-the bow sends one ugly projectile down range-yet so tight of a group!

As RJ stokes said-I do the same, maybe about a coil removed. Last time at the range for deer hunt site-in, (yes, some wait till the last wknd.)-I wish I would have changed the spring to my slightly stretched spring====I lost 12 brass that evening!- They rolled 2-3 ft. in front of the firing line, after hitting their perfectly placed, and shaped- on the wall- brass deflector, bastages!. They watch like a hawk-who leans forward etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X