bolt trouble ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt trouble ?

Greetings to all you 6.5 fans...I'm new to the board and fairly new to the AR platform.
    I recintly received a Saob built upper and after the first 25 rounds I'm exstreamly happy about how it shoot's(one raged hole with one slightly out) 5 shot/100 yds...
    So now I hear of all the bolt trouble that folks are having and I wounder if it is instantly
    apparent? If not dose it mean a catistrofic falure to follow on the very next shot?
    This unit was advertized with a Walther barrel. Please correct me if I'm wroung but i think that Walther uses AA bolts and wondering if I could just order a new bolt from aa if I am unlucky enuff to experiance this trouble? thanks hugh
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm not familiar with the Saob built uppers but a lot of the bolt troubles have been resolved with newer bolts currently being used in 6.5 Grendels. Some rifles like those sold by Model 1 Sales in their 6.5 Sporter use a bolt for AR 47(7.62 X 39 with AR 15 barrel). Supposedly these bolts are not as durable as the newer AA 6.5 Grendel bolts. The new AA 6.5 Grendel bolts supposedly use a stronger steel but from what I have read if a bolt broke usually a lug would break off from the rest of the bolt. I would assume the broken lug would be near the extractor since that is usually the weakest part of the bolt. I doubt if you'd have much warning prior to bolt failure unless your rifle was failing to extract or feed because of high pressure loads. If your barrel was made by Lothar Walther the barrel should be so marked. I'd either contact Lothar Walther or the company that assembled the upper to inquire about the appropriate bolt. Normally 6.5 Grendel barrels are sold with the appropriate bolt. I think a lot of bolt failures are do to high pressure or high recoil force and I have never tried to hot rod any of my rifles. Some 6.5 Grendel shooters use adjustable gas blocks so they can better control the recoil forces on their rifles. I personally would just shoot the rifle and see how it performs with factory ammo or less than max reloads. If the brass appears normal with no signs of high pressure I'd probably not buy an extra bolt. I figure if a bolt fails on my rifle I can get a new bolt in a week. If I go on a hunting trip I'll probably take more than one rifle so I'm not concerned as much with a part failure.

Comment

Thanks Vascar2,I see now that I miss spelled the builders name it is Soad...Befor starting this thread I attempted to contact Saod but their web sit is currently down.
      I really have no doubt that the barrel is indead a Walther but any stamping is under the hand gard so I havent seen it. I was a little worryed that I would have to send it back to be head spaced. A drop in bolt with a week wait is no big deal...thanks hugh

Comment

Lothar Walther doesn't stamp their barrels. At least mine isn't and LW told me they didn't when I asked them about it.

Comment

Working...
        X