Short chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short chamber

I have a 24in barrel with bolt from J&T distributing. Currenty i'm having to seat the bullets to a COL of 2.20 or less depending on the bullet in order to prevent them from hitting the begining of the rifling and getting stuck. Hornady lists the COL for the grendel as 2.260 and AA info goes up from 2.20 and up for the most part. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I attempt to work out a solution with J&T or am I stuck with it?
  • terrywick4

COL depends on the bullets you are using. Does a factory hornady hit the lands?

Comment

We need more info on the bullet's you're using. If it's something like the 120gr AMAX, then your COL makes sense. A few of the tangential ogive bullets meant for the longer 6.5 Swede and .260 Rem need to be seated deeper in the Grendel.

Comment

So far i've had the problem with 125gr nosler partitions, 95gr Vmax and some older 100gr sierra hollow points. With components and ammo being in short supply I havent been able to get my hands on any 123gr AMAX. The only bullet i've actually been able to get to work with the factory COL is 90gr speer TNTs.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Cole- do you have a means -calipers-to do some basic measurements? The idea of-2.260 - is the preferred length???, back in the old days . The 95 v-max never gets loaded beyond 2.200, as a start idea. Maybe you need to start from scratch on loading=read up some more?

Interestingly enough that no one else seemed to hop in on this=hmmmmm.....

Comment

In the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, I just noticed that Hodgdon's lists a COL of 2.230", so I'm not sure what's going on with your chamber. J&T uses Grendel chambers.

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

In my AA Grendel chamber 100 SIE HP are loaded to 2.127. It is important to measure the OAL for YOUR chamber for every new bullet you try and not just go by what some other bullet uses. Try this to measure your chamber http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...jump-amp-crimp

Comment

Working...
              X