bullet tumbleing isues..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bullet tumbleing isues..

new build is making bullets tumble. any help would be greatly appreciated!
    i have never put together and AR that didn't just run. so this is new ground for me.

for the build i used a Black Hole Weaponry barrel 1x9

the load that i used is 36grs of H335, 120gr Vmax, hornady brass, Winchester primer.

thanks again!
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I would verify the twist rate using a patch and cleaning rod.

Also, check chambered unfired rounds for possible damage to bullets during feeding process.
    Drifter

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

got a muzzle device on the rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
        I would verify the twist rate using a patch and cleaning rod.

Also, check chambered unfired rounds for possible damage to bullets during feeding process.
        twist rate checks out. there is some copper fowling that looks kind of jagged at the muzzle end that is still remaining after bushing and cleaning the bore. ?

i did rwack some loaded ammo though the thing before i shot at the range and there was only small scratches form the barrel extension on the bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post
          got a muzzle device on the rifle?

not yet. its on back order...

Comment

• longdayjake

Pictures of the muzzle?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BJIvory View Post
              new build is making bullets tumble. any help would be greatly appreciated!
              i have never put together and AR that didn't just run. so this is new ground for me.

for the build i used a Black Hole Weaponry barrel 1x9

the load that i used is 36grs of H335, 120gr Vmax, hornady brass, Winchester primer.

thanks again!
              36 grains! Are you sure on that? I didn't think you could come close to 36 grains.

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                36 grains! Are you sure on that? I didn't think you could come close to 36 grains.
                36 gr of H-335???? Wow...I am not sure if he can get 36 grains in a case, but if he has managed to do it, that would be one hot load. PA_ALLEN uses 30.0 gr to get 2765 fps out of a Barnes 100gr TTSX. (I killed my pig with this load.) PA_ALLEN uses 28.5 gr to get 2395 fps out of a Nosler 12gr BT. Those are loads he posted. Start low and work up.

I hope that the 36gr reference is a typo. With 30 grains in the case, there is definitely more room and if the OP compressed the load, 36gr may be a real number. Not a safe number, but it may be a real number. Be careful guys...you are dealing with very high pressure and metal that is next to your face and fingers. Be safe and live to hunt/shoot another day. You are not baking a cake. If something goes wrong you don't usually have the luxury of just dumping it in the trash and starting over.

Take Care,

David

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

But if it is 36 grain, those bullets are probably not tumbling, they're being torn apart! LOL!!

Comment

• StoneTower

Better the bullets than the gun.

Comment

Loads recommended should be from a reliable source. Be careful.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2011, 01:12 AM. Reason: Bad judgement

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
                        loads recommended by dr. Kevorkian?
                        roflmao!!!

Comment

Well, #1, there isn't a 120gr Vmax that I've seen, they are 95 gr. How long is the bbl? Very doubtful getting 36grs in that case. IIRC, 32grs of TAC was about over full. The MAX load for the 95gr Vmax with H-335 is 31.2 grs and the breech pressure is around 50,200 PSI. If he's actually getting that much powder in there, then the bullets may just be coming apart from the twist rate and velocities. Those bullets will take some abuse and stay together but ....

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                            Warrior
                            • May 2011

shot some 95gr vmaxes today out of my BHW barrel, mine were loaded to 2.247 COAL and went from 28.5gr up to 30.5, 30.5 was showing flattened primers (not bad though) with 29.5 giving me my best group of the day at .7 "

Comment

OAL of my 95gr Vmax are 2.190". Same as in AA data. largest group so far is 0.417". I'm using 30.8grs of Ramshot Xterminator. Gets me 2874 FPS from my 18"

Comment

Working...
                              X