Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65G_Sethum

Won't eject the round

Ok, so this is my first build and I just got some ammo and was just checking if it would feed and eject ok without firing. maybe that is the problem. When I pull the charging handle back to eject the round the bolt doesn't release it. Im not sure if i have a defective bolt or what but its the one that came with the barrel. I've attached some pictures to give you guys an idea about whats happening. It seems like it is throwing the round down
    Attached Files
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

What manufacturer made your bolt? You may have to polish the bolt and extractor.
    Last edited by montana; 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

It's an ar15 performance barrel and bolt. How would I go about polishing the bolt and extractor?

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

There are threads on this forum explaining the procedure. There was a good thread at sniperhide forum I believe that was posted on this forum that was very good at explaining the method. It had pictures that made it easy to follow. Maybe someone else here can find it or help. First I remove the extractor and ejector . I then found two buffing wheels for my dremel tool and glued one on top of the other . They fit perfectly in the bolt where the cartridge base sits in the bolt. I use red jeweler buffing compound and buff the in side of the bolt and very lightly buff the outside of the bolt rim. It comes out very shiny and smooth. I then lightly buff the ends and beveled part of the extractor to smooth it up.. I test it with an empty case to see if any thing drags or hooks on the case. This is hard for me to explain without pictures. Maybe someone else on this forum could explain it better. You want to be careful not to take too much off when polishing.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Thanks, ill have to see if I can find that thread.

Comment

I have noticed a few barrels I have seen lately that are very tight on the chamber, so tight they won't let the round and the bolt extract. I polished one chamber and the problem was solved. If you do this, be very, very careful to not go too aggresively on the chamber, otherwise you will affect your accuracy

Comment

Guys, the cartridge is still stuck with the case rim captured by the extractor, which points to something funky going on with the extractor. Please don't do anything to your chamber. In this case, my first instinct would be to take the rough edge off of the extractor lip edges, which is common, but I would want to see more of what's going on. By the looks of the cartridge being impinged like that in the receiver, it really does point to extractor geometry though.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I agree with LRRPF52! This is "extractor bite", caused by sharp edges on the extractor from the machining process. VERY gently touch the extractor with a flexible polishing disk on a dremel and take the sharp edges off it. You only want to gently do this and get the sharp corners and edges very lightly rounded.

I've seen several rifles with new extractors do this and they've all been easly corrected.

DON'T mess with your chamber, this isn't a chamber issue if its coming out and just failing to eject off the extractor.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

I had an extractor once that did the same thing. The extractor basically had sharp "teeth" on the edge that were digging into thecase rim. Take your extractor out and polish the sharp edge (teeth) off. It should work fine then.
                  Best,
                  PA

Comment

Working...
                  X