Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Alexander

Magazines and leasons learnt!

So I am running a few movement and target drills with a gash built gun really to amuse myself at the end of a day running the pressure breach. Taking a little time to play with magazine changes and the usual stuff which I goof badly. Gun is running well with a good ejection patern and the Wolf 120 MPT is consistent enough for 300 yard hits but this one magazine is driving me insane. Runs two shots and then jams nearly every time. Shooting now turns into a diagnostics session and what eventually transpires is not what I expected. The problem, which was consistent, was that one side of the magazine would consistently send the bullet nose up into the top corner of the extension gap. So I do what seems logical and bend the mag lips up a little to get the round more in line with the chamber. Result, a little improvement but still basically a disaster. The shooting continues, the frustration continues and the magazine is behaving as it pleases.

The resolution and the purpose of this post is that the obvious was not what it seemed and that sometimes stopping to think is more benificial than keeping testing. I eventually summond enough IQ to stop and compare the one problem child with the whole set of mags that were running nicely and what I found was a leason learnt. Rather than the rounds sitting up, they sat near parallel with the top of the mag. The magazine lips can now maintain tension on the round with pressure from the rounds below which stop the nose being thrown upwards off the feed ramps in free flight. So one hammering latter the mag lips are bent down and the mag now runs perfectly.

I think that where this is going is that seating rounds too high can be as counterproductive as too low. The round must contact the feed ramp correctly but the magazine lip cannot be set such that the round can flip upwards. Essentially the perfect solution is that the magazine lips need to be longer than case body would indicate. And this may be the rub in the inconsistancy we see in some magazines.

Bill Alexander
  • Longshot_34

Does this mean that there will be an improved mag coming in the future?

Comment

Working...
    X