JP Adjustable Gas Block isn't adjusting correctly...HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

JP Adjustable Gas Block isn't adjusting correctly...HELP!!

I have a AR-Stoner 24" Grendel B&B with JP lowmass bolt carrier and silent capture buffer spring. The buffer (lower) works fine with my Wylde and Beowulf but I have the problem below with my Grendel Upper.

I am trying to get the gas block adjusted right and having difficulties.

Trying 1 bullet at a time so the bolt will catch and hold back. No success. I have gone from not ejecting to ejecting and not holding back the bolt.

So I used 2 rounds to see if it will strip the second round. It shoots, ejects but doesn't strip the next round. It even sets the trigger.

So is it not traveling far enough to lock back on single shots or enough to strip the second round? I think the bolt isn't traveling back far enough but how can I find out? It locks back when I pull the charging handle so wondering if the hole isn't big enough in the barrel.

Any suggestions?? Oh, also using Wolf Brass ammo. Is that the problem maybe???

Pull the gas block and measure the gas port with drill bit. Pretty sure you should have an .0935 port on a 24" pipe. There is a thread on here about port sizing, use the custom search engine, and I'm sure some others will chime in.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

I got it. Really think its the right size hole because Liberty makes the barrels. Also finding if I pull back the charge handle and release with an empty mag, even a P-mag, it slaps up into the barrel extension. Doesn't lock open unless I push the bolt catch up.

I already took the Silent Capture Buffer out of the equation and stuck a rifle length buffer spring and buffer in but no help.

Did that and ran 20 rounds of Hornady 123gr VMAX, no change. I also started from screwed all the way in and then backed out 2 full turns. Each time when it didn't eject increased by 1/2 turn each round as recommended by JP. Did that till it cycled but the bolt never held back. Then tried to run 2 bullets and it never went back far enough to snatch up the second round.

So I'm wondering if it's the low mass carrier. I'm going to use my regular Fail Zero BCG tomorrow, swap out the bolt and see if its the Low Mass Bolt Carrier.Then if it still happens off with the Adjustable gas block, take some measurements and if all looks correct, I'll install a regular gas block. It has to be one of the 4 things. I think I might even try a different lower to eliminate the bolt catch but that still doesn't solve the feeding issue....CRAZZY GRENDEL

Comment

• babaganoush
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

Tedward,

Have you tried other mags? Just a thought, but not an entirely wild one.

A different lower can also answer a whole fleet of questions.

My FTF issue was resolved when I replaced a tweaked upper, which was bent by over-enthusiasticly tightening a clamshell holder (yes, the pilot was installed in the upper).

David
        "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
          Warrior
          • Feb 2012

Is there oil in the buffer tube? I have seen to much oil there cause the same problem. You don't have an extra buffet pad or any thing like that in the gun do you?
          sigpic

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

I did try other mags and same issue. Tried a few other things and will be posted next. thanks

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Adjustable Gas Block Installation Success

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
              Pull the gas block and measure the gas port with drill bit. Pretty sure you should have an .0935 port on a 24" pipe. There is a thread on here about port sizing, use the custom search engine, and I'm sure some others will chime in.
              ricsmall

Comment

we're all learning everyday tedward. Im glad you got it all worked out, and yes, the amax ammo will spoil you

Comment

Working...
                X