• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kbarnes12
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Stuck Bullet

Today I was shooting my 16" Tactical 6.5 Grendel (the upper was assembled by Alexander Arms) and I would occasional try to eject an unfired round from the chamber and it would be stuck. I would pull back on the charging handle and bang the butt of the rifle on the ground and it would eject, but once the bullet remained stuck in the barrel. This has happened before on my reloads and I attributed it to them not being crimped, but today I was shooting factory Hornady 123gr Amax.

Any ideas as to what would cause this?
    sigpic
    Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.
  • ragedracer1977

The bullet is getting jammed into the rifling. Rounds loaded too long or chamber not cut deep enough?

Comment

• cantgrowup

I would think that if the rounds were fitting into the magazine, they shouldn't be too long from a COL standpoint? So that suggests that maybe the rifling leads were not cut deep enough by AA?

Comment

Cantgrowup,
        With this bullet you are correct, however, be aware that there are many bullets that when loaded to mag length will in fact contact the lands with a spec throat. With many bullets the ogive is closer to the front of the bullet and they must be seated deeper than mag length to avoid contact.
        Kbarnes12,
        you have several options, one, seat the bullets a little deeper, won't take much, maybe .010" or so, two just shoot it until the throat wears sufficiently, probably 1,000 rounds + or - 500, or three, send it back to AA to have the throat cut properly.
        There is another possibility, if you have shot this barrel more than a few hundred rounds, it is possible that you have a carbon ring built up at the throat, I have described how to remove it with JB bore paste in another thread. If you have fewer than say 300 rounds then the problem is the throat was cut short.
        Bob
        Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X