Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeSheepDog

Accuracy problems

I recently received a 24" AA upper with a Shilen barrel. I love shooting 6.5, but I'm having some accuracy issues. While I know that as barrels heat up they sometimes string out, but what I'm getting seems a bit extreme. After the first 2-3 shots (over a couple of minutes), the shots string northeast and progressively string out to about a foot in length! Does anyone have any info or thoughts?

Need more info on your total system configuration:

Scope:
    Mount:
    Ammo:
    Shooting position (bench/bags/bipod)

Comment

Check to make sure that all fasteners on your scope and base (or sights) are properly torqued.
      Make sure the barrel nut has not worked loose.
      If all above is good and the issue persists switch to a known, dependable scope.
      Has the barrel shot well for you in the past or is this your first time out with it?
      Let us know how it plays out.
      John

Comment

• JoeSheepDog

More Info

Thanks for the responses. I was shooting with a Pentax scope I just got, mounted with a PEPR QD. I shoot handloads (123 g. Sierra MK, BL-C(2) powder tested at various loads for accuracy, Hornady brass). I was shooting off a steady rest on a bench from a seated position. I've checked most things for tightness (although not the barrel nut) and all are OK. I also thought about the scope as the problem and have mounted a more reliable Leatherwood I have with a 20 MOA riser and regular rings. It shot fairly well with this previously, but since I haven't had the rifle long I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I'm hopeful I'll find out. I waited nearly a year for this upper and really want to love it.

Any other thoughts/suggestions are gratefully accepted. I'll update this post once I try out the other scope.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JoeSheepDog View Post
          Thanks for the responses. I was shooting with a Pentax scope I just got, mounted with a PEPR QD. I shoot handloads (123 g. Sierra MK, BL-C(2) powder tested at various loads for accuracy, Hornady brass). I was shooting off a steady rest on a bench from a seated position. I've checked most things for tightness (although not the barrel nut) and all are OK. I also thought about the scope as the problem and have mounted a more reliable Leatherwood I have with a 20 MOA riser and regular rings. It shot fairly well with this previously, but since I haven't had the rifle long I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I'm hopeful I'll find out. I waited nearly a year for this upper and really want to love it.

Any other thoughts/suggestions are gratefully accepted. I'll update this post once I try out the other scope.
          A Leatherwood is an upgrade? He, he.

Check the barrel nut. A foot is a huge amount of distance at what I am assuming is 100 yards.

LR55

Comment

• cantgrowup

Originally posted by JoeSheepDog View Post
            I waited nearly a year for this upper and really want to love it.

I am going to follow this thread closely. I too, just recieved my AA upper w/ 24" Shilen "match grade" barrel after a 389 day wait. I broke the barrel in last outing cleaning after each shot for first 10 rounds, and wasn't going for accuracy. However, I was not all that impressed. I expected more from this upper. Still working with failure to eject issues (polishing extractor etc.). After that I will start working with the load.

Comment

• JoeSheepDog

Mystery Solved

I was able to put another scope on the rifle (and YES, the Leatherwood WAS an upgrade, than you very much) and it performed well (at or better than MOA). I did notice that it does drift southwest if too heated, but only by about 3/4".

The culprit was a "wandering reticle" on the Pentax scope. Apparently, it was not locking down well and began drifting southwest after a few shots (thus stringing up northeast).

Thanks for all your help and comments.

Keep your powder dry.

Comment

Glad you found the culprit JSD. I've had scopes go bad on me in the past. Sometimes dry firing will revel a bad scope. If the reticule "jumps" or moves when the guns being dry fired its a sure sign of scope problems.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JohnOD View Post
                  Glad you found the culprit JSD. I've had scopes go bad on me in the past. Sometimes dry firing will revel a bad scope. If the reticule "jumps" or moves when the guns being dry fired its a sure sign of scope problems.
                  I have noticed this over the years shooting F Class; not loose reticles but overly tight erector springs holding the reticle frame too tightly. A shooter dials the scope but the next shot is still on the previous setting. The recoil of the shot then frees the reticle to where it is supposed to be. It's mainly seen when turning the scope small increments, not bulk changes.

Leupold used to be notorious for this sort of 'lash', so the SOP was to turn the dials beyond where you wanted to go and then dial back to ensure it wouldn't stick at the previous setting or that it wouldn't be at one increment less. The Mark 4's apparently have two erector springs holding the reticle still instead of the single springs in their cheaper offerings. Great for the military and heavy calibers but ironically the more resistance the reticle is to moving (which is also great for repeatability/accuracy) the more it is prone to sticking.

Comment

Working...
                  X