• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

why would bolt break?

Any insight why bolt would break off the lugs on both sides of the extractor?
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Either a bad bolt or a hot load, if they were hand loads the odds favor a hot load if it was factory ammo odds favor a bad bolt

What brand bolt and what load?
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

it was a Les Baer LBC264. i will bet that it was the load. i have used 30.0 grains of CFE223 with small rifle magnum primers and 123 grain SST alot as it shot real well. well i used the same load with large rifle magnum primers in the PPU wolf brass and i will have to think that it raised the pressure too much. i only shot 6 rounds and did check the brass and it was starting to flatten but i have seen the same from factory ammo. the primers were CCI250. i will say it shot real accurate for the six shots though!

Comment

30.0gr of CFE inside the PPU brass is a totally different ballgame than Lapua brass, since the PPU has much less case capacity. Less available volume equals more pressure. You have to work up a load every time you introduce a new component. Did you just transfer the load over to the PPU brass without working up by an chance?

Bolt thrust is what kills lugs, and the lugs probably aren't lapped to the extension, so the two lugs adjacent to the extractor had more load on them, or are weaker because of the extractor channel cut into the lug roots.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Bolt thrust is what kills lugs, and the lugs probably aren't lapped to the extension, so the two lugs adjacent to the extractor had more load on them, or are weaker because of the extractor channel cut into the lug roots.
          +1

As far as lapping goes, I lap mine with 8208 at reasonable load levels.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dammitman
            Warrior
            • Dec 2012

I will have to admit i knew better but didnt think the brass would be that much different. I have already ordered a new stripped bolt and one extra complete one. I never heard that the ppu brass was smaller capacity.
            Last edited by dammitman; 10-21-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

Yeah not a great I idea to use the same load in different brass AA and lapua are both lapua and thus interchangeable hornady is close other than that I would reduce by 10% and work up for unknown brass ppc bras has I believe 2 grains less capacity which is about 7% in a Grendel case
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• dammitman
                Warrior
                • Dec 2012

43 dollar lesson learned.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Good info, i have some loaded PPU a guy did for me so i'll check his grains before shooting them. Is htat in the Grendel Handbook by chance?

I sent/ordered a Grendel Handbook for my ammo manufacture to read up on it. All he had was the published Hornady Book when he loaded my rounds last time. I don't know if that book had the info telling to lower Grains for PPU Brass so they may be over loaded, 2 grains is a lot....

Comment

Hornady used Hornady brass for both the 8th and 9th Editions. It has totally different case capacity than the PPU, as in more. If your PPU brass was loaded with some of the Hornady data even near max loads, you are likely to be in bad pressure territory.

Since the PPU brass and Large Rifle Primers are totally different components, the loads need to be worked up using a mathematical approach to start load determination, a chronograph, calipers, and a good regimen for detecting pressure signs based on sound reloading experience.

Comment

I just went and measured some case capacities between 3 different types of cases:

* PPU 37.5gr of CFE to the neck (raw capacity, not possible to load)
                      * Hornady 1 x fired 37.0gr CFE to the neck
                      * Lapua unfired 37.0gr to the neck

I thought the PPU brass had noticeably less case capacity last time I measured it. Something weird is going on. Maybe your bolt was prone to cracking, especially if the receiver face is off-kilter. Check that before you use the new bolt. It has happened before. The receiver face needs to be true where it mates with the barrel extension flange. Is this a complete Les Baer upper?

Comment

Please take a beginners reloading course! You are the kind that makes me glad I have my own private 250 yard range!

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Not sure who your talking to but I did ask my LGS if they had one. They said NRA still hasn't approved them(2years now) but there hands are tied. I have been asking a few people and reading up here. I have been using factory ammo and ammo reloaded by a manufacturer. So as my first sentence said, who are you worried about? Yourself? I like the other remarks as what to do and not to do than a general topic of your private range and suggestion.

Does anyone know of a national regulated website that offers reloading classes for the beginners? That would be a good link rather than just go blow up at your own house.

Thanks LRPPF52 for the info. I'll call my reloader to see what he says. He is a well educated and licensed Ammunition manufacturer.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

I just went and measured some case capacities between 3 different types of cases:

I thought the PPU brass had noticeably less case capacity last time I measured it. Something weird is going on. Maybe your bolt was prone to cracking, especially if the receiver face is off-kilter. Check that before you use the new bolt. It has happened before. The receiver face needs to be true where it mates with the barrel extension flange. Is this a complete Les Baer upper?
                            You're using a solid that likely isn't filling the brass consistently. Try using water, all from the same source. You'll just need to tape over the primer hole.
                            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• dammitman
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2012

dang, this isnt what i was hoping for. i am going to measure the capacities of what i was using as well as weigh the charges in the remaining rounds i didnt shoot. i can pull the bullets and weigh the charge. i love that bullet puller from RCBS. i used it to pull the bullets from the wolf ammo and threw away the bullets and the powder. so its basically new PPU brass. this is where i even pressed out the primers and installed the CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers. then loaded the 30.0 grains of CFE223. now if the case caps are the same, only the primer could be the difference and i am sure it would add some to the pressure compared to a small rifle magnum primer. there is a lot to consider with this kind of thing. even the size of the flash hole can make a difference. no it isnt a complete les baer upper. i have fired about 400+ rounds thru it about half factory hornady and half ladder tests using cfe223 and imr8208. i found that it shot real well using 30.1 grains of cfe223in both the hornady and lapua brass both showing the same results on a chronograph and on target. i stopped there as it didnt do any better and actually opened up on target some going with more powder plus started showing signs of overpressure. . we will get to the bottom of this!
                              Last edited by dammitman; 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X