• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burnsome
    Warrior
    • Jun 2011

Ejection pattern Q

Although my Grendel shoots great, the ejection pattern is about 1-2 o'clock position. is that ok? spent brass looks good, so I'm not overly concerned about it. have been told 3-5 o'clock position is ideal?

12 inch barrel, suppressed carbine setup. I'm running an H2 carbine buffer. today I tried a Spikes T2 carbine buffer with the same results, but I'd say the gun "feels" smoother firing than it did with the H2, especially on full auto.

I've heard/read that many here like the H3 for the Grendel. I don't have one handy otherwise would have tried one and watched where the ejection pattern is. Am wondering if the extractor spring might come into play here?

TIA
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

If the brass looks good, recoil is good, and reliability is good I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
      Warrior
      • Feb 2012

Sounds like it is a little over gassed, or the extractor spring is a strong; check and see if there is an oring on the extractor spring, if there is remove it and see how it works.
      sigpic

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Have seen a diagram floating around the web that shows where the cases should land according to gas pressure but my experience is this is a clumsy indicator of pressure. I think a more precise indicator is not the angle but how far they get thrown.

If they are not thrown 2 metres or more when sitting at the bench, and not dinged-up badly by the extraction process then it sounds like it's all good. Other indicators of overpressure are of course the ejector imprint, rims expanding into the extractor groove and flattened/cratered primers.

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by burnsome View Post
          Although my Grendel shoots great, the ejection pattern is about 1-2 o'clock position. is that ok? . have been told 3-5 o'clock position is ideal?TIA
          One thing that factors into the ejection pattern that is missed is what kind of upper do you have? Do you have a slick side upper, Mega, DPMS Low Pro or do you have a brass deflector on your upper? I had mentioned this a while back about ejection location and was told everything mine was doing was wrong according to responses. Then I thought about it and didn't post I have a slick side upper. So with the information provided, it is hard to say.

So the ejection case drop zone will have many factors that could be from mechanics of the bolt extractor, buffer weight, gas, powder and load or upper receiver being used. Even with a brass deflector, many uppers have a different angled deflector so that takes into play with the equation too.

My DPMS Slick sides land at 5 O'clock and my Mega SBU's land at 3 to 4 O'clock. Both don't have brass deflectors so they fly rearward more.

I agree with what montana stated.
          Last edited by Tedward; 03-31-2014, 03:20 AM. Reason: change wording.

Comment

• burnsome
            Warrior
            • Jun 2011

thanks for the inputs. its a model 1 sales carbine upper with a brass deflector. one of these days I should try shooting it w/o the suppressor and see if that changes anything.

Comment

Try an MGI RRB, especially for full auto and suppressed.

Comment

• burnsome
                Warrior
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Try an MGI RRB, especially for full auto and suppressed.
                thanks LRRPF52. interesting, and a bit pricy. must be good. I've got an AAC RRB and haven't tried it but maybe I should.

Comment

I have used the AAC RRB with their spring, and it didn't have enough power to drive the action into battery. Dropped in a standard recoil spring and it runs fine.

I like the MGI RRB for really cutting the secondary impact forces of the action down, and smoothing the cycle out. It has reciprocating weights with a spring-loaded bumper on the back of the buffer, and the buffer body is some kind of steel.

Comment

Working...
                  X