Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coondawg27

Satern Barrel Headspace

I recently installed a Satern 6.5 Grendel barrel and discovered that the bolt will not close on a PTG headspace go gauge. I understand that there are some issues with different specs, so I just want to confirm whether or not I will have a headspace issue with the new barrel.

I have not been able to get the chamber specs that Satern used, but I do have the print for the gauge from PTG. Measured from a datum line at .350 on the shoulder I show the following:

PTG print length: 1.2201
    Actual gauge as measured with my .350 comparator: 1.213
    New unfired lapua brass with .350 comparator: 1.206

The unfired brass chambers easily, so I know my actual chamber headspace is some where between 1.206 and 1.213...I just want to confirm that this is correct to Satern's specs and there won't be an issue firing this rifle.

Thanks for any help.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Coondawg,

Welcome to the boards!

I would contact Satern and ask them. Is this one of their actual Grendel barrels, or made after their split from AA, where they might be using another reamer?

I would be hesitant to use anything which didn't headspace correctly. I wasn't aware, though, that PTG made Grendel authorized headspace gauges.

Comment

PTG does not have anything that is Grendel authorized, if they did they would have a violation of license agreement.

Comment

• Coondawg27

I haven't had any luck talking with Satern so far, patiently waiting on a call from Steve. This is one of their actual Grendel barrels and I believe would have been manufactured before the Hornady factory ammo issue. I have talked with AA and they said the PTG gauge is not to their spec...I just need to find out what that spec is.

In the end I believe that everything will be fine and Satern manufactured it correctly. I just need to be able to confirm that the headspace is correct before putting this rifle into service.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Coondawg27 View Post
          I haven't had any luck talking with Satern so far, patiently waiting on a call from Steve. This is one of their actual Grendel barrels and I believe would have been manufactured before the Hornady factory ammo issue. I have talked with AA and they said the PTG gauge is not to their spec...I just need to find out what that spec is.

In the end I believe that everything will be fine and Satern manufactured it correctly. I just need to be able to confirm that the headspace is correct before putting this rifle into service.
          Understood. Have you considered a Grendel Go/No Go gauge, I mean one of the approved ones?

Comment

• leopard6.5

Coondawg: There were some people here that had problems with the bolt that came with some of the Satern Barrels and had to send the bolt back.

You might try to do a search or definitely get in touch with Satern and see if yours falls into the group they had problems with.
            Once again my understanding is that it wasn't a problem with the barrels but some bolts that were bad.

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

• Coondawg27

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to check into the bolt issue if I can manage to get Satern on the phone.

Last I talked to AA they did not have go/no go gauges available. Any advice as to where I may find them?

Comment

if the chamber is to tight for the gage but not to tight for a unfired round,I don;t see the problem...
                maybe fire form a case and use your comparitor to see the dif...

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
                  PTG does not have anything that is Grendel authorized, if they did they would have a violation of license agreement.
                  Who does make go and no-go gauges got the grendel? The ptg gauges on midway are advertised as 6.5 grendel gauges.

Comment

• acelungger

I also would like to have a set of them, I know that I am not smart enough to figure the deminsions, but if I had them I am sure I could make them out of brass on my lathe??

Greg

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

PTG is making them now...the previous posts were in 2011, before Grendel trademark was relinquished. I purchased my PTG go/no go from MidwayUSA

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                      X