Problems with my new build - Anyone have headspace gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Chrome
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Whups - missed that part.

Were all of Sabre's chambers chromed?
      Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-15-2014, 04:48 AM.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I thnk all of the Vanadium barrels were. They did make some stainless match barrels though.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

I remember someone having similar problems with a Sabre on the old board.

Comment

That would suck--- My Sabre barrel can be seated to 2.260"...

I'm not sure about ejector swipes but have you looked at the firing pin? If it has a burr on it that could be causing your piercing problem.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Primers aren't pierced or cratered. They were blown out of the case.
              Last edited by txgunner00; 07-16-2014, 03:46 AM.
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

Academy in cedar park and off 183/duval usually has factory sst if you want to get a box and try them. Or I can meet you somewhere and give you a couple rounds to try.

Eta
                I also have a hornady gauge and some loose amax and sst. We could measure your throat depth.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I have a COL gauge but I'm not having any luck finding factory ammo in stock. The Academys are currently out. I appreciate the offer. I might have to take you up on it.
                  Last edited by txgunner00; 07-18-2014, 06:11 AM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• bigbear_98
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2013

I can tell you now, I measured 10 factory sst rounds. They averaged 2.245coal. Longest was 2.247, shortest was 2.244.

Are you measuring your chamber with 123gr sst?

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Yes. Just looked at my book. I measured 6 projos with my COL gauge. Low was 2.216, high was 2.218. The load length I used was actually 2.215.

I tracked down some 123 Lapua ammo across town but no 123 SST yet.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2013

If you already measured a clean barrel as being short, what are you going to do with factory loads that you know are longer than your chamber?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbear_98 View Post
                          If you already measured a clean barrel as being short, what are you going to do with factory loads that you know are longer than your chamber?
                          Many of us view the check with factory loads as a necessary step in verifying that the throat needs work. They are the closest thing we have to a throat gauge.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                            Many of us view the check with factory loads as a necessary step in verifying that the throat needs work. They are the closest thing we have to a throat gauge.
                            Make up a couple dummy rounds to between coal of 2.244 and 2.247?

Txgunner. I still have a couple rounds I'll give you but hate to see you waste good ammo....;-)

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                              ... 27.6 grains of 8208 behind a 123 SST, Hornady brass...
                              Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                              ... I measured 6 projos with my COL gauge. Low was 2.216, high was 2.218. The load length I used was actually 2.215.
                              Aside from a potential headspace issue, it's possible that the combination of the bullet being seated at or very near the lands, as well as deeply into the case, could contribute to excessive pressure. Though your charge of 8208 is below listed max, it may be different in this particular situation.
                              Drifter

Comment

• txgunner00
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Could be. I plan on running some more tests this weekend. I have some 100 Amaxes on hand. It might turn out that I can only run short bullets in this barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X