• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

problem with elander mag

I am not able to get the magazine to click in olive without using considerable amount of force. Just putting it in there and slamming it in its not enough force. I have to hold the top of the receiver and press upwards probably about 60# of force to get it to lock in place.

Also the mag release one or is in takes a lot of force to press to get it to release.

I'm considering taking a file to it and timing the catch down slightly. Any thoughts?
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Have you tried other manufactures mags with out problems. I would send them back if they are out of spec.

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Ditto.

Have you tried other mags? Any will do because the catch geomoetry of all the AR mags is the same. Also try your E-Landers with another lower. The ones I have work fine FWIW.

You mention force required to engage the mag latch with a loaded magazine. I presume that's with your bolt carrier forward. Did you check to see that you didn't accidentally force 26 rounds into a 25 round magazine?
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Kikn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

I only have the one lower which is an AA lower. I have 4 other mags that work just fine.

I tried taking the top bullet put and removing the bolt work the same results.

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

After spending a couple more minutes with it. It may have more to do with the precision firearms upper.

I didn't have my other aa grendel upper with me but I did have my aa beowulf upper and it worked lot better still tight but useable.

If I just used the lower and no upper it works flawlessly.

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

Can you tell where it hits the upper?
            www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Slappy
              Warrior
              • Feb 2014

I have 4 other mags that work just fine. This is from your above statement, if your other mags work fine then I would say something is wrong with the mag that does not work so well. Is something bent in the newer mag?? or in the upper because of all the force being used?? Just my thoughts. Good luck hope you get it worked out or worked back in again!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Kikn
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

I'm not versed enough in gunsmith work to determine exactly where I'd hitting the upper. But I suspect if I file down the part where the catch is it will probably work just fine. I may take a caliper to them when I get home and measure it for any discernable differences.

I did notice that the empty mag fit in the beowulf upper more easily than the fully loaded mags.
                Last edited by Kikn; 09-28-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• dmsims21
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2012

If you shove the mag in and wiggle it, you should see a mark in the finish of the mag or upper.
                  You may be able to see the issue by comparing how the mags look in the lower.
                  With just the lower, do the elander mag lips sit higher than the others?
                  www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Kikn
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2011

I'll have to try that out tonight if I remember to.
                    I tried my aa upper on my aa lower and out was a snug fit but it worked. So the pf upper is to right to use without putting extreme effort into getting it in.

Comment

Working...
                    X