• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmc1371
    Warrior
    • Aug 2011

pulling my hair out!!!

My latest build is not cycling. I have changed to an adjustable gas block, changed to different buffers,different carriers, checked gas port alignment. I am using factory ammo from hornady. I am about ready to sell the barrel with the gas block if I don't get this up and running. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • usmc1371
    Warrior
    • Aug 2011

I'm using a bhw 18" bbl.

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

I have or had the same problem. Took off the adjustable gas block and had everything checked out and throws shells correctly no signs of over under gassed took it all apart and cleaned it put on a low pro gas block even took a weight out of the rifle buffer and the only thing I can come up with is the spring is to heavy. I am having to run a carbine buffer in a PRS stock other wise it does not cycle correctly and I have tried everything and had a smith check out the system too. 24" barrel (Bratlein), brake, low pro gas block and a PRS stock, factory ammo
      What stock are you using?? BANG BANG!!
      Last edited by Slappy; 11-09-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• danm
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

What's your gas length... and what bolt are you using?

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Since I have never used a bhw barrel I'll try shooting in the dark. I take it you have ruled out too much gas, "with adj gas block" since being over gassed will not eject shot brass anymore than being under gassed. Don't install an adj gas block with the adj. screw opened up but close it and gradually open it if you are not sure. Since you have tried reliable BCG, different recoil buffers, etc I would look at your gas port being too small. I'm sure you have read all the posts about proper recoil springs, buffers and checked your extractor and ejector. There should be no binding or tight spots with your BCG when manually pulling on your charging handle. Your barrel I take it is properly chambered with out any bulges on your shot brass or any signs of head space problems. You have checked your gas tubes alignment with your gas key showing no unusual wear. Your gas key bolts have been properly torqued and staked. Your bolt gas rings have been inspected. Your charging handle is not rubbing on your gas key and does not show any unusual wear marks. An adjustable gas block will do nothing for an under gassed barrel with a too small gas port. I would rule out any other problem before I suspected the gas port was drilled too small since I have only seen this once with a 5.56 barrel. If at all possible I would check everything else and if no luck I would measure the gas port hole and see if it was the proper size for your barrel length. Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

• Slappy
            Warrior
            • Feb 2014

USMC ,,, a a a never mind already stated above. Sorry, I am dumb!!!. Good luck. BANG BANG!!
            Last edited by Slappy; 11-10-2014, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
              USMC the only thing I can suggest is if you have tried everything under the sun check out the rings on the extractor to make sure they are all not lined up. That is my 2 cents worth. Good luck. BANG BANG!!
              Did you mean the gas rings on the bolt? If yes, the alinement of the gas rings will have no ill effect at all since they move all the time and there is plenty of seal even when they are lined up.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I've read R. Johnson and GLShooter, both associated with BHW, comment that the 18" barrels can be tricky to get running when configured with a RLGS. Even if this doesn't match your setup, I'd certainly get in touch with either of them over on the BHW forum. At the very least, I'm certain that they can get you pointed in the right direction. They've always been quite responsive.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Slappy
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2014

Yup,,,, I think I remember seeing something that if they were not staggered that could have an ill effect with the gas. Maybe not read so much can not keep up with it. That is the only thing I could think of. Just a thought. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Mountain Man
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2014

Not to point out something that may seem obvious to most but, Have you checked to see if the gas is making it through the block and tube? I usually install the block/tube on barrel, block off muzzle, and shoot compressed air into the chamber to make sure the gas is flowing freely out of the tube. Sometimes this quick pre-build test can expose issues in block fitment and tube installation, or faulty parts....
                    "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I trouble shoot the gas as well pneumatically.

What gas system length?

What gas port diameter?

What type of carrier, and is the carrier key fastened securely?

What recoil spring and buffer are you using?
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• usmc1371
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2011

I'm using a rifle length gas system. The stock is an ergo. 5he lower works with every upper I have except this one. It a carbine spring in the stock. The carrier is a dpms ar 15 style. I'm not sure of the gas port size. That is what I'm going check next. I know that the gas is getting into the upper . I have lots of residue on the carrier. My other option is take my 24 inch spare bbl and cut it down to 20. I will compare ports between bbls.

Comment

• usmc1371
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2011

Oh I almost forgot the bolt is from aa.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Describe the malfunctions in detail:

Example: When I fire, it only cycles partially to the rear, without picking up a new cartridge, and re-chambers the spent case back into the chamber.

or: When fired, it partially ejects the spent case, then stove-pipes.

I take it that it won't lock back when firing one round on an empty magazine?

If it is any of these, it is probably gas port size related. I need to know the port size. You have very little dwell time with an 18" RLGS, and pretty low port pressure. In the 5.56/.223 Rem, the bore diameter is such that an 18" RLGS works very well. In a Grendel, you need a larger port than you would need with a RLGS/20" much of the time, depending on your rifling and actual bore diameter.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• danm
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by usmc1371 View Post
                              Oh I almost forgot the bolt is from aa.
                              Uh oh, is your BHW barrel a .264 LBC like mine?

Comment

Working...
                              X