• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnjohn
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Brass ejection

Hello,

Went to the range this past weekend and my brass are ejecting at 5:00. How can I fix it to where it ejects at 3-4 o'clock? I currently have a carbine buffer. Is this a sign of over-gassing or under-gassing?

Thanks
  • TacBlade
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2014

This might help

This might help
    Attached Files

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

The carbine 2.9oz buffer can often mean not enough buffer weight, depending on your gas system length, load, gas port diameter, and dwell time. An H2 buffer will change your ejection angle.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• johnjohn
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

Thanks LRRPF52. I wish I had an H2 buffer to test when I was at the range. So the picture is telling me if ejection is at 4:30 to 6:00 it is short stroking because my buffer is too light, or gas is leaking or bolt carrier too light? Sorry noob here.

I have a RLGS. The case necks have dents in them after being fired I believe due to the fact that it's beating up the shell deflector.
        Last edited by johnjohn; 01-06-2015, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

It just means your cyclic rate is a bit fast, not necessarily short-stroking. I don't agree with a dogmatic diagram with diagnoses that can be caused by other factors. There are a number of ways to look at what is happening.

* Gas system length
          * Dwell time
          * Gas port size
          * Cartridge load

These 4 factors above will tell us how the system is gassed.

These 4 main points below determine how we manage the gas and regulate the cyclic rate, bolt travel, and return rate to battery:

* Bolt carrier weight
          * Buffer weight
          * Recoil Spring strength
          * Bolt carrier gas system dimensions like the internal bores and relief vent hole sizes

Ideally, I like a slower cyclic rate for reliability, but then in competition we want a faster cyclic rate for split times-2 opposing demands. Also, as we play with the cyclic rate, does the rearward travel diminish to the point that we see bolt over base, or failure to lock malf's. If you aim for the center of all these extremes, you will have a stable, reliable system that deals well with temp shifts, and charge weight/projectile weight shifts.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• southern180
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2015

my necks where be beet till I changed to a silent spring setup now no dings

Comment

Working...
            X