• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PigOPs
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Too much gas?

So I got my 12.5" grendel together today and went out to site it in... It would lock back on an empty mag but would not eject the spent brass. The brass would sometimes sit on top of the magazine... sometimes it would eject. It even loaded the next round once but stove-piped the empty.The primers look great but there is some ejector swiping.

I've used this bolt for quite a while now with no problems in another rifle. I think it's getting too much gas but wanted to see what you thought.

14.5" Sabre CLGS barrel cut down to 12.5" regular carbine buffer. I have a seekins gas block that is adjustable but it was getting dark fast and I was trying to get on target.

Should I throttle the gas some and see or is there something else I'm missing?

Obligatory pic of said rifle:

• LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Is your extractor lip sharp on the edges/corners? If the bolt worked in another rifle, you probably are experiencing early unlocking.

Dial down the gas, and follow the manufacturer's recommendations as to how to set the gas system up for optimal cycling.

Usually that is full off, then incremental opening until lock back is achieved, with another portion of a turn on top of that to ensure function, especially in winter.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

+1... on the regulated gas settup.

But if this still does not fix it then the double feed scenario is a common problem found in SBR's. The extractor claw coming off extracting brass without ejecting, and then getting in the way of the next round. We solved a similar situation in a 10.5" 5.56 recently by adding a 'D Fender' O-ring to the extractor. You can also get heavy duty extractor springs.

Comment

Working...
      X