What Breaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Breaks?

I'm considering a 6.5 Grendel and am walking around it kicking its tires. One thing that concerns me is parts breakage from a firearm that was designed around a lighter-kicking cartridge.

So, what breaks on the Grendel more than on the 5.56?

The only things I've really seen break on M4's & AR's as far as operating parts go is bolts, and that is on guns run through extreme schedules. While I've heard of Grendel bolts breaking, I haven't seen it yet. I have broken non-MPI bolts on AR's after over 10,000 rounds through the gun within a year. I cracked the handguards on my M16A2 when Clinton got re-elected in 1996 while I was in the field on the DMZ in Korea, but I don't think you're talking about that...

It's always good to have spare bolts on hand, that have the exact same bolt face depth. You should also change your ejector and extractor springs every 2000-4000 rounds, and look at the bolt gas rings around then as well. After about 5k of high volume, gas rings can erode, and cause you to lose your gas seal, leading to short-stroking. Recoil springs are also supposed to be changed at somewhere between 5000 & 7000 rounds, depending on how they measure in length, or if they become weak. Most soldiers don't realize what parts are periodically changed in their weapons because it is armorer-level maintenance. As a civilian, one needs to assume these armorer-level duties oneself. The AR is probably the easiest service rifle to maintain, without any real gun-smithing skills, so only a few basic tools are necessary.

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of broken bolts or some such, or possibly odd breaks that don't normally show up in the 5.56.

Comment

• TritonArms

The Grendel pressure levels are just fine for the platform, and do not really have any sort of 'problem' areas any more than a 5.56, expcept for little tweaks such as extractors and magazines. Grendel reigns supreme.

Comment

For any rifle, it's a good idea to have as many spare parts on-hand as possible. For AR's in general, that means at least an extra bolt, gas rings, all your springs, pins, and small parts. There are several kits available through Brownell's and Midway to address these demands. Buy a parts box with all the segments in it, and stock it well. Extractor, extractor spring, extractor buffer, extractor pin, ejector, ejector spring, ejector roll pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin are the main spares I have always kept on-hand. You can even stow many of them in a Magpul grip on the rifle/carbine.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            You can even stow many of them in a Magpul grip on the rifle/carbine.
            your grip must sound like a bag of marbles. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
              your grip must sound like a bag of marbles. :-)
              Nope you wrap them in a piece of closed cell foam.

Heck we carried spares in a regular A2 grip like that, it does not fall out.

Is the bag is water tight it does not even rust when submerged.

Anyone who did winter warfare, jungle school or riverine ops can appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
                Nope you wrap them in a piece of closed cell foam.

Heck we carried spares in a regular A2 grip like that, it does not fall out.

Is the bag is water tight it does not even rust when submerged.

Anyone who did winter warfare, jungle school or riverine ops can appreciate that.
                I was just messing around, but that is great advice.

Comment

Magpul's grip core inserts actually are designed to hold these different parts in an elastomer plug that keeps them from rattling at all. The have one that holds a spare bolt and firing pin, one that holds batteries, etc. Also, the VLTOR, LMT SOPMOD, and Magpul ACS stocks have storage tubes within them that are good for certain small parts.

Comment

For posterity - From other threads I learned of broken extractors and sheared bolt lugs, but no real indication of frequency.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM. Reason: Added links

Comment

I just broke an exctracter the other day, my rifle has probably 1200 rounds through it. I don't know if that is commonly broke part though as this is my first AR-15.

Comment

Most broken lugs I've heard about were typically from people reloading thier own. Some like to push the limits a little farther that others. I'm positive you can shoot Wolf Gold all day and never have a bolt lug (that isn't flawed) break on you.

Comment

Hey last weekend we had an extractor quit working on a 5.56mm so it is not exactly something that only pertains to the Grendel.

I need to test it but it looks like it developed a burr in the groove.

Comment

I've done some research before getting one to assemble.
                            Seems as though the sheared lugs can be attributed to the front of the upper receiver being slightly off spec on many uppers.
                            If you have a lathe to check the flatness where the barrel extension mates up to the upper this is a non issue.
                            Of the sheared lugs I've read about, all can be attributed to the receiver being off spec, thus the bolt does not have adequate/complete contact with the lugs in the bbl extension.
                            I true all my uppers as a routine. One less possible problem.
                            You'd be surprised how "off" this surface can be!
                            JM.02

Edit: I'm sure putting your rifle on a strict maint schedule couldnt hurt. Bolts DO have a service life.

Comment

Most of what you see break or wear out on any AR, M16 or M4 (same parts) is ..... gas tube rubbing, plastic handguards breaking, plastic butts cracking, bolt lugs cracking/breaking (not as comon as you'd think) broken firing pin (usually the tip), extractor and pin. Everything and anything can break, and the thing you'd think would be the least likely is the part that will break first ...... LOL.

But, in general. If you keep a complete lower parts kit, complete bolt (but not bolt carrier group) and spare firing pin on hand, that would pretty much cover you for most of your run of the mill field repairs. I'd also keep a spare gas tube on hand because they tend to rub and wear out on the end where it contacts the bolt carrier group.

You really should get yourself an armors manual. I do believe they list the round counts for each part, when they should be changed and at what intervals they should be serviced. Not a bad piece of information to have on hand.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2011, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X