• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

BHW tells you how to do it.

The 243 LBC is one of the easiest, most accurate wildcats out there. It's a long range shooters dream. Recoil in a heavy barreled rifle is almost non existent. If the light weight bullets are what yo
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• 204 AR
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

No like 280, 270 then 266.

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

I have a set of .243 dies can they be used for seating or is the Rem. 6mm needed for case diameter. Gotta mark this thread for reference. Better yet I have the Forster Benchrest Seater die might call Monday and see if they can do something with the seater as change out .264 to .243.
        Last edited by Popeye212; 07-15-2018, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• 204 AR
          Warrior
          • Sep 2015

No we use the Hornady die because it has a floating sleeve and works with any case diameter, so if you do a 6.8 necked down to 6, or a 6x45 it would work for those also, or 6br, 6ppc, etc. Normal 243 seating die would leave the skinny grendel case rattling around in there unsupported.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...let-seater-die pick 6mm ppc, but if you look most have the same product number.

sizer: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...ngth-sizer-die then add the bushings and you're all set.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Ok thanks thanks for the info. This is the Grendel seating die I have already:

It has a sleeve that supports the case as it goes in.

Wondering if it will work with this:

Last edited by Popeye212; 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• 454bore
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

I've been using the hornady fl 6mmppc to size down first.
              Don't need to go down in steps that way.
              Then use a .266 bushing in a redding 65grendel die.
              The 6ppc die sizes the necks down to work with tight necks measuring. 262 and overwork them.
              Doesn't hurt for first size.
              Best to using bushing die after first sizing.
              The 6mm stem should work in the Forster seater.
              As far as barrels go it depends on how much money you can pay.
              Krieger makes very good 6mm blanks and mine shoots better than I can.
              BHW makes a good barrel for the money.
              My 6x45 is very accurate.
              Hornady 75 grain V-max shoots bugholes in both barrels.
              Hornady 108 ELD and Sierra 95 TMK shoot half MOA in 6AR.
              The 6AR is the most inherently accurate round I've worked with in a gas gun.

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

Thanks guys starting a shopping list. You guys are a bad influence on my bank account.

Comment

• Zeus
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2018

There's no need to form the cases in steps.....Whitley himself told me to use a .267 bushing and a quality wax lube liberally slathered on the necks when squeezing them down to accept 6mm bullets.....I got this advice right from the start and haven't found any reason to go about it any other way.

A Redding 6.5 Grendel full length bushing die using a .267 bushing with the expander ball removed provides an acceptable amount of neck tension in my 6mmAR....roughly .006.......the tension would be a little much for a bolt action rifle but is perfect for the violent loading process of an AR15 without the need for a crimp.

The 6mmAR is extremely accurate and super flexible. The cartridge takes the AR15 platform to another level IMO.

So a 6.5 Grendel full length bushing die with a .267 bushing, some sizing wax and a Hornady 6mm seating die ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) are all you need to start loading for the 6mmAR.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2018

tag for shopping list.

I have been trying to decide on 70, 75, 80, 85/87 or 90 gn bullets as a jack of all trades loading for yotes, deer and other critters. Not worried about paper punching, just fur out to about 400yds.

Some options to chew upon:
                    70 Blitzking
                    70 Nos BT
                    70 Nos Varmageddon FB
                    75 Vmax
                    80 Nos BT
                    80 TTSX
                    85 SGK
                    87 Vmax & BTHP
                    90 Nos BT
                    90 Sierra Tipped GameKing (new flavor!!)
                    95 TMK

Just to name a few
                    Last edited by Huckleberry75; 08-06-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

There's enough variation in the selection, that you could test to find the best option, just in time to need a new barrel, and start it all over again. Heh...
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Go with the 70's and the elusive 4000+ FPS velocity.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post

I like where your head is directed. The Nosler Varmageddon flat base 70gn bullets are very affordable and at 400yds and in the flat base is not an issue. It will also leave more available real estate in the case for magic speed crystals, vs a boat tail design. The goofy thing is that the Flat Base 70 has a higher advertised BC than the regular ballistic tip.

Comment

• Popeye212
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2018

Huck the flat base vs BT might give it a higher Sectional Density thus the higher BC...Just a guess.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by Huckleberry75 View Post
                              I like where your head is directed. The Nosler Varmageddon flat base 70gn bullets are very affordable and at 400yds and in the flat base is not an issue. It will also leave more available real estate in the case for magic speed crystals, vs a boat tail design. The goofy thing is that the Flat Base 70 has a higher advertised BC than the regular ballistic tip.
                              I exclusively use 70 gr NBTVs in my 6x45. 2960 out of a 24' with a mild charge of Benchmark. I originally worked up 70 gr Varmageddons and got around 3/4 MOA. I then subbed the 70 NBTVs in that load and can get consistent 5/8 and occasional 1/2. The NBTVs also hold accuracy better at range. But the good news is that you can do load development with the Varma's and then should be able to switch over when you need the accuracy. I thought the Varma's might give more velocity and a lower velocity sd with the flat base, but I don't recall it being the case. I also get really good accuracy out of the 55gr .224 NBTVs. Don't even think about using BTVs or Varmas on deer though - they make an absolute mess.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
                                Chieftain
                                • May 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                                I have a BHW 24" 1:10 twist 243 Win bull barrel on my maybe some day list. Even there, 3600 would be max expectation. Which is more than enough to make a P-Dog explode at the maximum range a human being and his scope could hold.
                                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                                X