X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Spring is in the air. 60 degrees and only 5-7 mph winds on a day off! 70 gr Nosler BTV @ 2954 with a 7 shot sd of 9. All 7 with Magnetto were shot at the 6" square at 350 and were centerish hits.

Rusty shooter today (it's been almost a month) This measures out to about .65 MOA. The lower right was the 5th shot.

IMG_20180311_194135-486x648.jpg

The next one started good with the first 3 inside 1/2 MOA and I proceeded to execute a perfect "push me pull me."

IMG_20180311_194203-486x648.jpg

I think I'm going to either get an ALG handguard for it or swap with one of my 556s so I can use my Atlas on it. I just don't feel as solid and consistent with the 9-12" Harris I have on it.

I really think this will consistently shoot around 1/2 MOA if I do my part. Which puts it at Minute of P-Dog at 600 yards and velocity just under the 1600 fps "expansion threshold" at that point. Which was the hope of the project. Not bad for a $94 barrel!
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

SH,
      On the "push me, pull me" could you actually tell you were doing anthing wrong?
      With my vertical stringing and tight groups with other rifles, it all feels the same.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Sure did. The first 3 were rapid fire. I saw how they were grouping, hesitated, pushed #4, muttered an expletive, and proceeded to compensate for the push with a pull. Scottie Norwood should be proud of me.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
          I bookmarked your handguard thread in case the gun grabbers are ever successful banning "barrel shrouds" I had to google that one myself. I had no idea how many shrouds I owned!
          I have been shooting a 20" BA Grendel, 16" BHW 6x6.8 and a BHW 18" American 30 without any shroud at all.

I shot them about as well as I shot other uppers with shrouds.

I would be fine with an all out shroud ban as long as it was limited to just that.

A barrel nut ban would hurt, however.

I don't rapid fire so heat would be of no concern.

Comment

• 454bore
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

I tried some sierra 60 grain HP's over 25.8 grains H-322 in my 6x45.
            Worked them up from 25 grains.
            Got half to 3/4 inch groups.
            Heard the 60 grain sierra HP's were accurate and they are.
            Glad I found some cheap.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Glad to hear you found a good load. I have been shooting Grendels lately
              I have to stop buying barrels or I will never get all of them shooting well.

Comment

• 454bore
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Found another load for my 12.5 inch barrel that should work a little better at 200 yards plus.
                65 grain v-max pushed to 2850 using benchmark and cci 450's.
                Inch and a quarter groups with a 23 fps ES.
                Think I'm going to try 70 grain varmagedon next to see if it'll shoot moa or better.
                Last edited by 454bore; 04-30-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by 454bore View Post
                  Found another load for my 12.5 inch barrel that should work a little better at 200 yards plus.
                  65 grain v-max pushed to 2850 using benchmark and cci 450's.
                  Inch and a quarter groups with a 23 fps ES.
                  Think I'm going to try 70 grain varmagedon next to see if it'll shoot moa or better.
                  How much Benchmark are you using? Adjusting for barrel length (add 300 fps for another 11.5"), your results kind of sound like what I was getting here
                  Non Grendel but to be honest, I don’t think there’s anywhere I could go with this on the World Wide Web and not be called names or get an answer from someone who I know knows what they’re talking about ;). Hopefully the Grendel Gods forgive my indiscretions, but the Grrrrr doesn’t really offer what I’m looking to do with this

I ended up going conservative with the lower charge at 2960.

I got the Varmageddons sub MOA but have the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmints doing better. Beauty is same the same load shoots them a bit more accurately at 100 with the same POI, but they really shine holding accuracy better than the Varmageddons at 300 and beyond. They're more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Should be doing about 1/2 MOA. My groups were under 1/2" vertical but I was stringing them horizontally about MOA. Been fighting that all spring with every rifle I've got and its a mental/technique issue I think I have resolved.

I hope to get some out for more testing this week as I think I'm going to need to try and build a custom curve. I've got the 55 gr Nosler BTVs doing a consistent 1/2 MOA out of a 20" BHW 556 barrel, but they're dropping significantly less than Noslers G1 or Litz's G7. When I got the elevations figured out, they were holding accuracy to 550. I'm going to try to find the same points for the 70s and then bite the bullet and upgrade my Kestrel software to the elite. P-doggin in NM in April didn't happen (it would be nice if the National Forest Service posted Stage 2 fire bans in effect on their websites), but they are calling my name in southern Wyoming in June.

I really think 6x45 with 70 grain Varmint bullets is the ultimate self defense caliber. True Sporting Arms still has a bunch of 14.5" 6x45s for $82.50 with 5/8" threads which would be absolutely stellar with a VG6 Gamma 6.5 pin and welded. I just have a hard time envisioning myself on the stand explaining to a jury why I had to use a wildcat since 5.56 or 300 BLK wasn't good enough. I think if I ever had to, I'd have a hard enough time explaining why I load 110 gr Varmageddons in my 300 BLK home defense carbine and truck pistol.....
                  Last edited by StoneHendge; 04-30-2018, 09:13 PM.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• 454bore
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

I used 27.5 grains benchmark.
                    It's half grain over Hodgson data for a 70 grain bullet.
                    No pressure sign from my barrel.
                    Think I'm going to use 27.2 grains Tac instead now.
                    Tried it today with the v max and got just as good accuracy with 22fps less velocity and a 23fps ES.
                    It meters great and doesn't need to be compressed.
                    Might be able to go up a little bit more.
                    Will try the 70 grain ballistic tip next or 75 v max.
                    They would be good for HD suppressed.
                    My 8 inch blackout is being used for that now with a 110 v max and viht N-110 load.

Comment

• 454bore
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

The search for an accurate load has ended.
                      27.5 grains Tac under Sierra 70 grain match king is getting half inch groups and 2735 fps with a low ES of 10 fps.
                      Good enough for a 12 incher.

Comment

Working...
                      X