Warrior
    • Sep 2014

.22 grendel test run

4C8FB8CE-8029-4CCD-B100-D5E6A2613B5F.jpeg
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I have no interst in the 224 Valkyre but this has my interest. I'll be intersted in your results. Please keep us up to date!

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Definitely watching with interest. I haven't thought about looking to see what it would take to rechamber the 22 Nosler barrel sitting in my closet for over a month.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
        Definitely watching with interest. I haven't thought about looking to see what it would take to rechamber the 22 Nosler barrel sitting in my closet for over a month.
        you would have to pull the barrrel from the extension trim 6+mm from the base rethread indexing the gas port, then you could rechamber, the 22 nosler is longer than grendel you would be farther ahead to sell said barrel and start from scratch
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I will post up results next week. On the rechambering of the NOS, mongoose is correct. It could be done, and would also require the gas tube be shortened the same amount barrel tenon was shortened.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Yeah - I moved on when I broke down the upper. Only reason I keep on thinking about it is because I was getting some 1/4 moa groups with 75 gr Berger VLDs. Lots of other projects to deal with first though.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Cowdog
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

From what I have read you can only rechamber a SS barrel. If it has a coating like melonite it will wear out a reamer.
              Please correct me if this is not true.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

if it has a good melonite coating the reamer wont cut the coating it too hard, but there isnt really anything you could rechamber to 22 grendel from practically speaking
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• go4shoot
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2015

I'm looking forward to updates.

Comment

• ricsmall
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Well I was able to squeeze in some test loads today and ended up at 30.0 grs CFE under a 75 eld-m. 20” ARP Barrel, 3r rifling, rifle length gas. Test mule lower is off my bartlein barreled grendel with JARD trigger at 2.5 lbs. Side charge stoner upper and a trinity force handguard from midsouth shooters supply. Bolt is a .136 depth from the group buy. Leupold Mark II IMS mount with a vortex PST gen II 3-15 x44 EBR-2 reticle.

Accuracy was 3/4 -1 moa. Should have been better but whoever assembled upper didn’t tighten nuts on scope base!! SMH. Getting in a hurry does that. Anyway, I will shoot more one evening this week. Accuracy started off with 4 touching and a flyer after initial sight in. Flyer was fifth shot. Groups after that opened up, when scope came loose. Tightened down but the bottom fell out so I loaded up and didn’t get pics of groups. Had to go to a local range and range was hot so wasn’t waiting.

Oh yeah, velocity was 3108, sd of 8.3. It’s gonna shoot, just have to get back out this week. Itching to try at long range. Shooter app has it super out to 1250 with 40.3 moa comeup at 1250. Really happy so far. No pressure on brass and recoil like a .223 +p. I really want this in a howa mini. You listening Matt? Lol.

More to come later in week.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

Wow - that pretty much blows away anything I was able to get out of 22 Nosler - including the loads that bent the case heads. I was happy pushing 75 gr VLD Targets at 2900 out of an 18" until I realized the brass wasn't worth more than its scrap price.
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• ricsmall
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                        Wow - that pretty much blows away anything I was able to get out of 22 Nosler - including the loads that bent the case heads. I was happy pushing 75 gr VLD Targets at 2900 out of an 18" until I realized the brass wasn't worth more than its scrap price.
                        Yea I blv I could go up to 31 but the maker of this barrel said his brass was loosening up at 31or 32 grs, can’t recall. I may explore higher in small increments and see how the brass fares. I’m happy so far.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Help me understand the reason to go down to 22 Grendel over 6 Grendel. I can compromise with myself and lower the overall mass from 6.5 to 6, and gain the benefit of the accompanying increase of velocity for similar BC projectiles for target, and even small game. But, why 22? Aren't there already plenty of better than good options out there shooting 223, 556, 22N, etc? Not bashing here, just wondering what the real draw is to the 22 caliber bores. And going that far down really loses terminal performance to a point that the only game would be paper beyond 200, not really all that much better than 223? Again, asking for help understanding the draw going down in caliber. Thanks.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2016

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                            Help me understand the reason to go down to 22 Grendel over 6 Grendel. I can compromise with myself and lower the overall mass from 6.5 to 6, and gain the benefit of the accompanying increase of velocity for similar BC projectiles for target, and even small game. But, why 22? Aren't there already plenty of better than good options out there shooting 223, 556, 22N, etc? Not bashing here, just wondering what the real draw is to the 22 caliber bores. And going that far down really loses terminal performance to a point that the only game would be paper beyond 200, not really all that much better than 223? Again, asking for help understanding the draw going down in caliber. Thanks.
                            For me it's varminting. In CO, you aren't allowed on public land with anything over .224 during big game season without a big game tag (I presume they think that although you may be stupid enough to poach, you're not stupid enough to poach with .224 cal). And that coincides with when I have a lot of free time
                            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Well, there's a valid reason. I didn't know that about CO season, but now that you mention it, I may have read you state that before. Probably one of those "well, that's interesting, but since it won't ever effect me..." fun facts. Read, then forgotten.
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X