• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

6mm Predator, 87 gr vmax, leverevolution crony results

I bought a pound of lever to try in various things since it is always listed as giving great speeds. This evening I set up and started with 1 shot each through the crony, using the 87 vmax at 2.16" oal which is where my upper likes them with 8208. I began with 28 gr for 2654, very round primers, bumped to 29 gr for 2715, still round primers. I didn't write down all the speeds but started going in small increments past 30 gr. At 31.1 I got to 3000 fps, and the splashes for all the bullets were on top of each other at 200 yds, very good accuracy though a bit informal.

I wanted to test the temp sensitivity and here's where it gets interesting. I loaded 8 more rounds at 31.1, put 4 each into separate mags and stuck one in the freezer, and 1 in the oven to just get it warm to the touch, as though it had been sitting in the summer sun. As I suspected the warm loads clocked from 3015 to 3047, with slightly flatter primers. The frozen loads started at 2905 to 2974, depending on how long the round sat in the hot chamber.

It is faster than my 8208 load, but without being more stable than that I don't think I can use it for a hunting round. I haven't tried that test with 8208, but I will be.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Have you done the same test with 8208?

Any data to share?

I too have settled on 8208 and one reason is it supposed temp stability. I regularly see 100 degrees in August and 20 degrees in winter here in La.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 204 AR
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

It's on my list of things to do today, testing 8208. I use 28.2 gr behind the 87, speed has been right at 2900, the first time I clocked it 2920, now 2880 or so. Not sure what the deal is. With a 200 yd zero, 500 yd drop is right at 8 moa, that was at 32 degrees or so iirc. Those numbers are more in line with 3k fps, so not sure if my crony is right on or not. I just got a Caldwell unit and it's been working great with the light kit but who knows if it's accurate.

Comment

• 204 AR
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

Well 8208 seems just as sensitive. 2 room temp loads were 2899 and 2863. 3 from the freezer started at 2803 up to 2830 or so. Kinda bummed about that. I didn't heat any up as there isn't any point, I'm sure it would be faster.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I thought 8208 would have done better regarding temp stability...

I wonder if you can get into H4350 with the heavy projectiles in the 6MMAR... now THAT is one stable powder... works well in my 6 cream horn with 105s.

Comment

• 204 AR
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

H4895 would be more in line and should be stable. Varget also, but it's hard to get enough in the case from what I understand.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

I think the problem with H4350 would be the same is with Varget in grendel, you can't fit enough in the case. After H4350 and Varget on "the chart", H4895 looks to be next for temp stability. I really wish there was data somewhere for Benchmark. I've had really good luck with it in places (usually on the light for caliber side), it's relatively temp stable and it was designed for 6mm PPC and 6mm BR.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• 204 AR
                Warrior
                • Sep 2015

Yeah bm might be the ticket. A little on the fast side though. I wont be switching for a while as I have probably 6 lb of 8208. Heck it worked fine for the last couple of seasons, it will work fine now too.

Comment

Working...
                X