• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Msalm
    Warrior
    • May 2018

Starline Basic Grendel Brass

For anyone wanting to open up the grendel neck to 30 cal or so, Starline is now offering 6.5 Grendel Basic brass. Straight wall case might be easier to neck down and get your 'improved' version without fireforming.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

When I first saw that i think I spent a good 12 hours thinking about how much fun a ThreeFiddySeven Grendel loaded with 140 gr FTXs would be.....
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      When I first saw that i think I spent a good 12 hours thinking about how much fun a ThreeFiddySeven Grendel loaded with 140 gr FTXs would be.....
      That’s a fine idea. Please do it and post results.
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Trueblue
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

Not sure why the basic brass is more expensive than the fully formed Grendel brass.

Comment

• Msalm
          Warrior
          • May 2018

Hmm, I have a couple 357 barrel blanks in the bin...that's a good idea. I was going to do a 357 Max on a contender frame, but I have a couple extra Howa Mini's that would make the switch easy enough. I wonder how it would compare? I bought 250 of the basic brass to size down for a 7.62 factory Howa Mini barrel I opened up the chamber with a Grendel reamer to improve it a bit. Figured sizing the basic brass down would be a one shot deal that wouldn't require fireforming at all.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

That is far too big of an undertaking for StoneHendge given that he isn't a gunsmith. Otherwise I might have thought about it for longer than 12 hours. Lets see how it marinates with Msalm.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Msalm
              Warrior
              • May 2018

Originally posted by Trueblue View Post
              Not sure why the basic brass is more expensive than the fully formed Grendel brass.
              I have no idea, I emailed them to see if they had any settings for the AMP Annealer for this brass an also commented on the price but I didn't get a reply.

Comment

• flatland1
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2018

I'd been thinking about trying some of the Starline 6.5 Grendel brass as the basis for 22 Grendel & 6RAT barrels on Howa Mini actions. I've had the RAT up & running for the better part of a year now, and am waiting on a bbl blank from Krieger & 22 Grendel reamer & go gauge from PTG. Starline's had a pretty good reputation for quality among action pistol shooters, but I haven't heard much out of anyone shooting their rifle brass (would have to believe it's got to be better than some of the Winchester brass I've heard horror stories about recently). I'd bought 1000pcs of AA 6.5 Grendel, made by Lapua, as the pricing was outstanding for the quality. But now that they show only Hornady Grendel brass on their website, decided to try some of the Starline. Ordered just one of their 250ct boxes, will form some over to 6RAT & see how I get along with it.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Good luck.

There is a member here who is in timeout (hopefully will come back) that did not have what one would call "Success" with the Starline brass. I can not remember if he actually laoded for Grendel, or a variant.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

I didn't not know any company made this.

Hmmmmmmm I need too do some Google fuu might have a lil project useing this brass this summer.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Msalm View Post
                      Hmm, I have a couple 357 barrel blanks in the bin...that's a good idea. I was going to do a 357 Max on a contender frame, but I have a couple extra Howa Mini's that would make the switch easy enough. I wonder how it would compare? I bought 250 of the basic brass to size down for a 7.62 factory Howa Mini barrel I opened up the chamber with a Grendel reamer to improve it a bit. Figured sizing the basic brass down would be a one shot deal that wouldn't require fireforming at all.
                      they might not be called a ??? Grendel and go by something else (like 6mm AR), but if it was designed off the x39 case that was blown out to create the Grendel, it's in the family! :rolleyes: - .20 Grendel (anyone have links to info on this?) .22 ??? - 6mm Grendel - 6mmAR - 6mm Grinch - 6mm Fat Rat - 6mmAR Turbo 40 - .243

Post #34 has a picture of this. 6.5 Grendel necked up and loaded with Hornady 200gr FTX 357 bullets.

Comment

Working...
                      X