• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 454bore
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

sierra 95 grain TMK revisted.

Tried the 95TMK with 28.5 grains H-4895 again with CCI 450's this time and got 1/2 moa and 2850 fps with low ES.
    The TMK's have a BC of .500 and think I can get out there pretty good with them.
    They give the 108 ELD's some competition.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I think the 95 smks are what I'm going to focus on when my 18" BHW 243 LBC barrel arrives sometime this summer to rebarrel my 18" 6.5 Grrrrr carbine
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Its an awesome bullet idea. I bought 300 of the older 92 grn. smk pills 2 years ago. No tip- Midway Blem discounts. bFT was there , while I shot a tiny Elvis grouping- Wow. yes, I love the smk pills.

Tmk should rule the roost in that wt. class. Bill A sent me the data of what wt class to follow , or chase---95---105grns. I kept upon it during my GMX trials-

Comment

• soloelcap
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2017

I agree with 454bore both the 95 TMK and 95 HPBT are going to be hard to beat. The testing I've done and matches shot with both are proving that 90-95 grain bullets are working the best at least for what I'm doing and my barrel 20" length with the 6mm Grendel. Sierra 95 HPBT, H4895 is my control load (match load), the one I'm trying to better at this point in time.

454 the velocity 2850 fps you are getting with 28.5 grains of H4895 is interesting, you have a 26" barrel correct? I got 2736 with 27.5 H4895 out of a 20" barrel. Doing the roughly 25 fps per inch of barrel difference, food for thought. Shows we are writing our own data book for our individual barrels. More than likely difference in reamers, powder, primers, ect.

The Sierra 95 HPBT have a very small meplat almost closed and tend to run a few bucks less, try them. Just got another box of those and Berger 90 BT Target, testing continues always to beat the control load
        NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• 454bore
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

I have a 22 inch Krieger barrel with a tight chamber.
          Krieger barrels have a little bit smaller bore and cut rifled.
          They're hand lapped also.
          It's a fast barrel.
          I'm going to try some XBR8208 next.
          I turn the necks on my brass to .013 thick to use more powder with the tight chamber to reduce pressure and get more consistent neck tension.
          I've been impressed with the barrels accuracy.
          It shoots bugholes when I do my part right.
          My 65grendel barrel hangs right with it after using the tubb's final finish kit on it.

Comment

• 454bore
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by 454bore View Post
            I have a 22 inch Krieger barrel with a tight chamber.
            Krieger barrels have a little bit smaller bore and cut rifled.
            They're hand lapped also.
            It's a fast barrel.
            I'm going to try some XBR8208 next.
            I turn the necks on my brass to .013 thick to use more powder with the tight chamber to reduce pressure and get more consistent neck tension.
            I've been impressed with the barrels accuracy.
            It shoots bugholes when I do my part right.
            My 65grendel barrel hangs right with it after using the tubb's final finish kit on it.
            Tried XBR with the 95 tmks and got same velocity.
            Very good accuracy.
            Tried them with 2000-mr and hit 2980 fps with good accuracy.
            Got over 3000 fps but accuracy started getting worse and pressure was more than wanted.
            Best accuracy came at 28.5 with XBR and 32.5 with 2000-mr.
            They seem to be easy to get a good load with any usable powder.
            I got 108 ELD's up to 2820 fps with good accuracy and low ES using 2000-mr in hornady brass but it's softer than Lapua and doesn't look to hold primer pockets for long.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Since you mentioned it, what is your opinion of the Tubb's Final finish system?

Comment

• soloelcap
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2017

Tried XBR with the 95 tmks and got same velocity.
                Very good accuracy.
                Tried them with 2000-mr and hit 2980 fps with good accuracy.
                Got over 3000 fps but accuracy started getting worse and pressure was more than wanted.
                Best accuracy came at 28.5 with XBR and 32.5 with 2000-mr.
                They seem to be easy to get a good load with any usable powder.
                I got 108 ELD's up to 2820 fps with good accuracy and low ES using 2000-mr in hornady brass but it's softer than Lapua and doesn't look to hold primer pockets for long.
                Impressive velocities right up there in the 6BR and approaching the 6mm Dasher realm.
                So what do you consider a safe velocity for this round? And what pressure (signs) do you consider safe?
                I shot a HP match this last weekend, a NRA master was shooting a 6mm AR match rifle next to me out of a 26" barrel, I mentioned the velocities you are getting out of a 22" barrel with 105 and 95 class bullets, he just laughed. General conclusion among the HP guys is 2750 for 105's and 2850 for 95's max +/- depending on how you want to push it and long you want your rifle to last.

Not that I really care what you do with your rifle and how fast you can make them go, but if you are getting more velocity than others and primer pockets don't look to last for long. That is your first over pressure sing. Be careful.

Over 3000 fps plus with the 95's. Wow
                NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• 454bore
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  Since you mentioned it, what is your opinion of the Tubb's Final finish system?
                  I've only used it once and with a barrel with a rough short throat.
                  It worked very well.
                  I didn't use the first 2 levels of the coarse bullets.

Comment

• 454bore
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by soloelcap View Post
                    Impressive velocities right up there in the 6BR and approaching the 6mm Dasher realm.
                    So what do you consider a safe velocity for this round? And what pressure (signs) do you consider safe?
                    I shot a HP match this last weekend, a NRA master was shooting a 6mm AR match rifle next to me out of a 26" barrel, I mentioned the velocities you are getting out of a 22" barrel with 105 and 95 class bullets, he just laughed. General conclusion among the HP guys is 2750 for 105's and 2850 for 95's max +/- depending on how you want to push it and long you want your rifle to last.

Not that I really care what you do with your rifle and how fast you can make them go, but if you are getting more velocity than others and primer pockets don't look to last for long. That is your first over pressure sing. Be careful.

Over 3000 fps plus with the 95's. Wow
                    I was surprised to see that much of an increase myself.
                    2000-mr is the slowest powder i've tried for this cal.
                    Whitley likes it in the turbo 40 so I gave it a try.
                    Others like it from the SH site also.
                    I don't shoot in HP matches.
                    I have 41 acres and my loads are for hunting when I use my AR.
                    I can shoot out to 450 yards at most.
                    I probably am too high on the powder weight with the 2000-mr since there were light swipes and small primer protrusions on some of the rounds but
                    I didn't blow any primers even with the shot that 3002 fps.
                    I tried 1 shot at 33 grains 2000-mr for that one.
                    I live in a cold weather environment and heat from prolonged shooting in hot weather isn't a problem.
                    It was however very hot for around here that day.
                    I should have not posted my findings because I should have known some would not believe it and what works in my barrel would be too hot in others.
                    It was strange that the hornady brass showed a 50 fps increase over the Lapua.
                    Last edited by 454bore; 06-20-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• soloelcap
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

I have no doubt you are getting those velocities.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Originally posted by soloelcap View Post
                        I got 2736 with 27.5 H4895 out of a 20" barrel.
                        Assuming we have the same chamber and velocity = pressure, your exploding gun should have had a mushroom cloud.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• soloelcap
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                          Assuming we have the same chamber and velocity = pressure, your exploding gun should have had a mushroom cloud.
                          Yes, I certainly did get that velocity with that load Stoner. It was also below max according to QL. I shot a Master score with that control load and did not ruin any bolts in the process. Didn't you ruin a couple bolts? Though you were ignoring me.

Comment

• flatland1
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2018

I bought four Krieger .236"bore 6mm blanks several years ago to contour into AR15 bbls chambered for the original 6RAT - sold three of them and kept one for my own AR build - they were all finished at 24". For SDMR matches, I ran S95MKs, since all stages required mag fed, semi-auto function. I also ran this rifle in a XC HP match where you must single load for 600yd slow prone stage, so used Berger 105 VLDs there. My loads & velocities are very close to those listed here with H4895, which seems to give best accuracy in this cartridge with CCI450 primers. I've also got a CZ527 7.62x39 carbine that I re-barreled in 6RAT, using a Krieger #4 sporter blank; turned the shank down to 1.090" to match the receiver dia, same as I do to barrels for the Howa Mini. Though I've done some magazine tuning for the CZ, it still doesn't feed as smoothly or consistently as the Howa Mini 6RAT I did using a 24" Bartlein 6mm light Palma blank. Since the Howa is a push-feed action, single loading ammo too long for magazine use is easy, and the next thing I want to accomplish with it is load development with a few different 105-107gr bullets. But 28.3grs of H4895/CCI450/Berger 90 BTHP has been such an accurate load for fire forming AA/Lapua brass that there hasn't been a lot of motivation to experiment with the S95MK or the tipped version of the 95, much less work on loads with the 105-107gr bullet. I threaded the muzzle of the Howa's Bartlein 5/8-24 for a TBAC CB flash suppressor/mount instead of the usual CB brake/mount so it won't blow my eardrums apart when I shoot it without the TBAC Ultra 7 mounted. It's in a McM Game Scout stock with DIP DBM, and is pretty easy to carry while trying to walk up a coyote. Kind of wish I'd have finished this bbl at 22" or even 20" to make it less awkward for carry with the Ultra 7 attached, but if it bothers me enough, I can always pull the bbl & shorten, then re-thread the muzzle. I've enjoyed this Howa Mini (and another one I just finished in 20 Tactical in a Boyds ProVarmint stock) so much that I very seldom get the AR15 RAT out of its case anymore.
                            Last edited by flatland1; 10-10-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X