• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeus
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

6mmAR sight in.....

After driving out west last month to shoot prairie dogs I started feeling guilty about not giving the 6mmAR a chance to prove itself on varmints. My 6XC was knocking them dead so that's mainly what we shot. I didn't break out the 6AR until the last few minutes of the last day and then only shot it at various targets scattered around the dog town.

Last Friday I hit the range to make sure the rifle was properly sighted in.....Nope, it wasn't.....had to make a few adjustment as you can see in the pic.....then I shot the 5 shot group in the upper right target....

The results speak for themselves. Not bad shooting off the back of a pickup.

I started out hoping that the rifle would shoot the heavy bullets well but the more I shoot it the more it's telling me that in spite of a 1-8 twist the lighter bullets are going to be the way to go accuracy wise. Which is fine by me the more I think about it. That little case isn't even going to come close to what my 6XC can do but if I shoot the lighter bullets at a higher velocity I'll still have a great 300-400 yard rifle.

The load is listed on the target if you're interested.
    Last edited by Zeus; 08-13-2018, 12:09 AM.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

That's some good shooting right there! Congrats.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Huckleberry75
      Warrior
      • Jun 2018

Nice. I bet you wish that you had drug it out sooner at the dog town.

Comment

• Zeus
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Huckleberry75 View Post
        Nice. I bet you wish that you had drug it out sooner at the dog town.
        Somewhat I guess....The 6XC was the first rifle I ever put together 4 or 5 years ago. It was built specifically for varmint hunting at long range. Never got to use it before this year....making 500-700 yard hits is contagious.....so it didn't get much rest.

It was a little too windy for the smaller stuff too and the 6XC with 105 Amax bullets is very, very impressive when it hits one of those little guys....even way out there. I hate that they quit making them!

Here's my son posing with my Frankenstein Savage 6XC.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
          Warrior
          • Jun 2018

Comment

• flatland1
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2018

If you enjoy bolt rifles and the 6mmAR, maybe you should look at getting a Howa Mini bbl'd action with whatever 6.5 grendel or 7.62x39 bbl is on sale, pull the OEM bbl, and have it re-barreled for the 6mmAR or 6RAT if you want a little more case capacity. I got started with the 6RAT when a high power shooting friend designed that case & got Hornady to make a run of dies. I had John Holliger do a 28" Bartlein AR15 bbl with +2" gas system, then put it together and used that upper on a lower with the WOA fully adjustable buttstock. Worked very well in XC HP matches, so when I decided I wanted something a little more maneuverable to use in SDMR tactical matches, I put myself together an AR15 with 24" Krieger in 6RAT. I'd also done a CZ527 7.62x39 carbine in 6RAT, but when Howa announced their Mini in 6.5 Grendel, I figured that was the way to go. Have one now with a 24" Bartlein 5R 6mm in light Palma contour, in a McM Game Scout stock, DIP DBM, 20 MOA EGW rail, and an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 mil scope. I did the trigger spring mod which resulted in a 2-stage trigger with a 1.2lb break that's crisp & clean. Love to find any excuse to pull this little rifle out of the closet, grab a TBAC Ultra 7 can for it, and take off to do some shooting or to walk up a coyote.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

That’s some nice shooting Zeus!

Comment

Working...
              X