• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bachekermooni
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

TAC powder with 6 AR

Building a bolt action 6mm AR strictly for hunting. Anyone using TAC powder with 85, 87, and/or 90 gr varmint/hunting pills? Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Last edited by bachekermooni; 01-14-2019, 02:06 AM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

No experience with the 6 ar but wonder is h335 would do for this weight 6mm pills what it does for the 85,90,95 and 100 grain 6.5mm pills.

Comment

• bachekermooni
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2018

I have a lot of TAC so I was hoping to use it.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Not saying it won't work, just thinking the h335 might work better since that's the best powder for those weights in the grendel.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bachekermooni View Post
          I have a lot of TAC so I was hoping to use it.
          BA:

I have tried 2520 in the 6 AR and went back to H-4895 for reasons I can't remember.

TAC? I would probably try it in a bolt rifle with the 80 grain bullets first. Would surely use Lapua brass on that one. Not so sure I would try it out in an AR unless there were established loads for it in a 6 AR. That cartridge is pretty sensitive to powders from my experience so I stick with H-4895.

LR55

Comment

• bachekermooni
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
            BA:

I have tried 2520 in the 6 AR and went back to H-4895 for reasons I can't remember.

TAC? I would probably try it in a bolt rifle with the 80 grain bullets first. Would surely use Lapua brass on that one. Not so sure I would try it out in an AR unless there were established loads for it in a 6 AR. That cartridge is pretty sensitive to powders from my experience so I stick with H-4895.

LR55
            Hi LR,

Thanks for the feedback. I am using Lapua brass with a Redding 6.5 G sizer and LE Wilson 269 bushing. All 100 have been resized. Inside neck diameter is .240" - .241". I will use Federal Match primers (for now). The barrel is a #1 profile, 3-groove, 1-8" PacNor ultra match. The stock is my biggest issue right now (not a fan of Boyd's or the various tactical ones). Western Powders lists loads for 6 PPC with TAC. So I thought it may be a good starting point. I see some folks with AR platforms using the CFE223 powder which is a slower ball powder. I like powders that meter easy. I have never used H-4895.

All the Best,

Comment

• soloelcap
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

I don't see why TAC wouldn't work with the varmint, hunting wt bullets like V-Max 75 or 87. I haven't tried TAC but I have tried RL15, AR Comp, Varget which are right there with TAC burn rate in the 87-95 grain pills. I've used the starting load data for the 6BR with good results and worked from there checking for pressure ect. haven't broken anything or damaged any cases. PPC load data would be a good starting point.

I always seem to come back to H4895 and 8208 because those powders work and I have many lbs. of it on hand.

QL says with my setup which is an AR, 87 V-Max coal of 2.125 and Tac 30. grains,is near max be careful.
              NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by soloelcap View Post
                I don't see why TAC wouldn't work with the varmint, hunting wt bullets like V-Max 75 or 87. I haven't tried TAC but I have tried RL15, AR Comp, Varget which are right there with TAC burn rate in the 87-95 grain pills. I've used the starting load data for the 6BR with good results and worked from there checking for pressure ect. haven't broken anything or damaged any cases. PPC load data would be a good starting point.

I always seem to come back to H4895 and 8208 because those powders work and I have many lbs. of it on hand.

QL says with my setup which is an AR, 87 V-Max coal of 2.125 and Tac 30. grains,is near max be careful.
                SC:

The Grendel has taught me a good lesson when it comes to testing powders. Unlike a .308 where it seems that burn rate charts worked, with the Grendel they are not a good means of decision making. I think it is because of the case design but some powders that appear to be very similar on burn rate charts will result in extreme pressures. I trust bulk density charts more but am not sure how close the powders need to be before getting into a bad situation.

One thing I wouldn't do is to start with 30 grains of TAC for any 6 AR load. May start with 26 grains with a 75 grain bullet and see how things worked but no way I would start with 30.

LR55

Comment

• 454bore
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

In my 6grendel the 75 v-max shot bugholes using XBR and it meters very well.
                  A lot better than H-4895.
                  I've tried CFE and 2000-mr for ball powder use and the velocity increase was significant but not quite as accurate.
                  My barrel shoots bugholes with the Sierra 95TMK using XBR also.
                  With the 108 ELD and Sierra 107MK H-4895 shot the most accurate but slower than CFE and 2000-mr.
                  These 4 powders worked better than anything else.

Comment

• soloelcap
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2017

Hornday's 10th Edition gives reloading data for 6.5 Grendel using TAC across all bullet wts. I've tried most of the powders listed in the 10th Edition for the 6.5 in the 6mm AR/Grendel.

Again, I don't see why TAC will not work in the 6 Grendel. Last time I looked the case for the 6 Grendel is similar to the 6.5 Grendel.
                    NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• bachekermooni
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by soloelcap View Post

Thanks. I was going to start with Speer 85 BTSP and 28 gr TAC. I am afraid of going too low because it can also cause excess pressure. This would be for barrel break-in. Any thoughts?

My GS shot it with 30 gr TAC and Hornady 75 Vmax.

Comment

Working...
                      X