• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Broken 6mmAR Bolt

Awww heck some guy on barfcom broke a grendel bolt in his 6ar. Running what might be some very hot loads.

So y'all get ready there is probably going to be a 6 months parade of weak bolt post and claims of dangerous chamber's coming around agian.
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

LMAO
    I better check my spare BCG's.

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Without seeing his velocities and loads I can’t say he was pushing the limits, but most of us do. I was pushing it in my .224 Grendel but it’s shelved for now, and for sale BTW!! If you push the pressure limits in these guns, especially if gas and recoil system isn’t tuned, broken bolts are bound to occur. Like shooting a bunch of high pressure 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber. Somethings gotta give.
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

I can hear the 6.8 and Valkrie guys tuning up already...

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
          I can hear the 6.8 and Valkrie guys tuning up already...
          for a rousing chorus of Boo-birds no doubt!
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            Without seeing his velocities and loads I can’t say he was pushing the limits, but most of us do. I was pushing it in my .224 Grendel but it’s shelved for now, and for sale BTW!! If you push the pressure limits in these guns, especially if gas and recoil system isn’t tuned, broken bolts are bound to occur. Like shooting a bunch of high pressure 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber. Somethings gotta give.
            He says 28.5 grains of target under a 105 something didn't really pay attention to what bullet he said it was.

He hasn't replied back to the post yet. So it could just be a troll trying to start mess. Seems how that site is.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              He says 28.5 grains of target under a 105 something didn't really pay attention to what bullet he said it was.

He hasn't replied back to the post yet. So it could just be a troll trying to start mess. Seems how that site is.
              A5B:

That is at the high end of the load data but is not an overload.

LR55

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                A5B:

That is at the high end of the load data but is not an overload.

LR55
                I figured it was but don't know much about the 6ar. And just realized I fat fingered my post it's varget not target lmao.

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

28.5 grains target Flag under a 105 something Flag and didn't really pay attention to what bullet it was Flag . Smell test Fail. Has a faint aroma of Tuna though

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

28.5 grains target Flag under a 105 something Flag and didn't really pay attention to what bullet it was Flag . Smell test Fail. Has a faint aroma of Tuna though
                    I said I didn't really pay attention to all the load details. I didn't say he didn't pay attention.

And I fat fingered my other post it is varget not target.

I just thought I would bring it to the horde's attention so they could know where the more then likely to come parade of broken bolt dangerous chamber post that seem to grow around post like these.

He did post that this bolt is the upper' s second bolt to break and that the upper is used he bought off the original owner.

The bolt he just broke is a JP bolt. A member of barfcom said his load is probably around 63k and the the load that the first owner was running that broke the first bolt was around 75k according too quickload.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I just googled and found several 6mm 105's: Barnes, Berger, Nosler, Lapua, or Hornady 105's.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        I just googled and found several 6mm 105's: Barnes, Berger, Nosler, Lapua, or Hornady 105's.
                        He posted it was 105 nosler cc in his loads.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                          I said I didn't really pay attention to all the load details. I didn't say he didn't pay attention.

And I fat fingered my other post it is varget not target.

I just thought I would bring it to the horde's attention so they could know where the more then likely to come parade of broken bolt dangerous chamber post that seem to grow around post like these.

He did post that this bolt is the upper' s second bolt to break and that the upper is used he bought off the original owner.

The bolt he just broke is a JP bolt. A member of barfcom said his load is probably around 63k and the the load that the first owner was running that broke the first bolt was around 75k according too quickload.
                          My bad I thought you were quoting HIM

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

My bad I thought you were quoting HIM
                            It's all good. Just wanted to clarify what I was meaning is all.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2019

Here's the thread in question: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/6-...re/121-739665/

From what I can tell, it seems well handled and the consensus appears to be more along the lines of "you overloaded your round", than anything negative about Grendel. Not really sure where the angst against AR15.com comes from. It does have its share of jerks and fools and at times I question why I even go there - but then, find me a forum that doesn't.
                              4x P100

Comment

Working...
                              X