• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wideglidejoe
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

I think I'm ready to try a .224 Grendel

I have three 6.5 Grendel's; a 12.5" BA barreled pistol, and a 18" Shilen barreled rifle, I really am pleased with both of them. The 3rd one is OK, it's also an 18", but it isn't nearly as accurate as the Shilen. Since it is a complete rifle, I'd like to rebarrel it, keeping all the other hardware the same, so I'm thinking of either an 18" or 20" .224 Grendel (or any other name that this caliber is being called!). I considered a 6mm Grendel, and I realize all the good things it does with the 6mm bullets available, but it would be so close to the 6.5 Grendel's performance that I already have, I don't know that the 6mm Grendel makes enough difference for my shooting preferences and my 68 yr old eyes. So, I arrived at the .224 Grendel barrel choice, at least partly to be faster than the .224 Valkyrie that one of my friends has I've looked at the websites of a dozen or more barrel makers/suppliers, and unless I'm missing something, no one is offering a .224 Grendel/Predator/LBC, etc, etc, etc. on their website. Do I need to call them and ask them if they chamber a .224 Grendel? I'm looking for a complete AR15 barrel, ready to swap onto my rifle, not a .224 blank that I have to have chambered, gas port drilled, etc.

Any suggestions on where to get one?

Lastly, I'm looking for a barrel to match a .135-.136 bolt, as that is what all 3 of my Grendels have. I did see one site that mentioned a .224 barrel, but using a 7.62x39 (.124) bolt.

Thanks in advance!
    Joe
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Did you check precision firearms website?

If it's not listed I would call Mark and talk with him about it. If I was going to go 22 grendel I would want him to make the barrel.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2014

A5, thank you, no, I didn't check with Precision. I literally checked 15 websites, but since my original post a few minutes ago, I realized that I haven't checked with Precision Firearms or BHW.

I'll do that, thanks again!

I did read thru several other threads in this section, but so many of the posts were from 2018 and earlier, I didn't know if some of the things mentioned were still relevant or not.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• wideglidejoe
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

ricsmall,

Yes, I'm interested! Do you remember the twist? I assume it's stamped, once you get home to look at it. Just curious as to what bullet weights you were focusing on.

Stainless or chrome moly? Profile? Fluted? Not that these 3 questions are a deal breaker either way, just curious.

Thanks!
          Joe

Comment

• wideglidejoe
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2014

ricsmall,

I found the thread with the pic of the 10 rd group (impressive!), and lots of other pertinent info in your posts in that thread.

Thanks!

Comment

• Huckleberry75
              Warrior
              • Jun 2018

Precision Firearms and Baldwin Gunworks make an excellent barrel as well for 224 grendel.

Comment

• tdbru
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

isn't a 0.224 Grendel the same thing as a 22PPC ??
                -tdbru

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Comment

• Es 350
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2020

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                    isn't a 0.224 Grendel the same thing as a 22PPC ??
                    -tdbru
                    220 Russian is the parent case for PPC case and 6.5/22 Grendel, 6mm ARC etc. Brass "can" be made from 7.62x39....although with less capacity/performace.

22 or 6mm PPC brass can be used to make Grendel line of cartridges.
                    PPC shoulder is blown forward .070 for Grendel or .155 for my Grendel IMP. I use Norma PPC brass.

Comment

Working...
                    X