6mm ARC brass forming -& primer flash hole diameter discussion? brass weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

6mm ARC brass forming -& primer flash hole diameter discussion? brass weight?

Been looking for 6mm ARC brass or even ammo recently, wow. Finding brass, ammo or dies is not looking encouraging. Lapua 220 Russian brass is the only candidate I found to fire form cases from. I'm optimistic this will be of even better quality than the Hornady brass if you could find it. I am aware this 220 Russian Russian flash hole is as small as they come. And yes the 220 Russian overall length may be a bit long, requiring a .030 trim or so. Over all length after fire forming remains to be seen.

Research done so far infers that the smaller flash hole may decrease velocity for same charge weight, with a very small benefit in smaller group size for most of our views. Suppose there will be some experimentation with larger flash hole diameter going forward.

I do not have any Hornaday 6mm ARC brass or ammo due to lack of availability to compare with. Requesting a brass weight and a size for primer flash hole as well as you might measure.

Thank you for weighing in.
    Last edited by SDguy; 02-21-2021, 02:29 PM. Reason: Discriptio change 6mm ARC vs 220 Russian
  • Trashy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Look at grabagun.com I just ordered 5 boxes of 108 gr eld-m from them and gunbroker.com has some listed but it is pricy at $336.00 for 200 rounds.

Trashy

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

It's not the weight that matters, it will be the H2O capacity, in grains.
      I measured the flash hole of some new, unfired empty brass, it's 0.078", or the #47 wire gauge drill bit.
      The water cap of the 6 Arc is (as reported by another mbr on here) 34 grs. capacity.

For any new brass source, you need to start low and work up observing signs for your gun's results.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

You do realize you can make arc brass from grendel brass right?

Still surprises me how many people dont know that.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Smaller flash hole might not be an issue. Lapua Grendel brass has a smaller flash hole and always works well. Not apples to apples, but not apples to oranges either, but a blogger did a comparison of 6.5CM small primer brass vs large with charge held constant. The small primer was actually a little faster. I also got another 10 fps in my 6.5 CM switching from Fed 210Ms to BR-2s which are less "hot" (it also gave me the better accuracy I was looking for). A smaller hole than whatever Hornady came up with might not be a bad thing. It probably might also depend if you plan on using a ball powder or stick, with the ball maybe needing more "spark". I would assume Hornady loads factory ARC with either CFE or Lever.

And with what A5 said, yes you can. That's where mine will be coming from. Mel just did some and his trimming was 0.03". My 5 bags of Starline will be 15" of trimming. I hope my Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy helmet still works......
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
            You do realize you can make arc brass from grendel brass right?

Still surprises me how many people dont know that.
            That I do realize. Grendel brass is in short supply as well. Lapua brass is generally hard to beat. Curious to work with the 220 russian brass & the small flash hole I suppose. Although the small decapping pin does stand to present a bit of a PIA.
            Last edited by SDguy; 02-25-2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• SDguy
              Warrior
              • Oct 2015

Found Grendel brass finally. Located inexpensive pulled bullets as well. Anyone have experience with the following Federal 100 gr BTSP?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
                Found Grendel brass finally. Located inexpensive pulled bullets as well. Anyone have experience with the following Federal 100 gr BTSP?

https://americanreloading.com/en/243...-bt-500ct.html
                When they had those a couple of months ago with the same picture, they were Speer PN# 1220
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Dino11
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2020

Yes they are Speer bullets, I have a thousand of them from those folks, Stonehendge sent me a speer bullet to confirm what the were.

Just ordered another 1K of them, these shoot pretty good. I only had a couple of bad ones I found sifting through the first 1K I received. Heavy pull marks on them. The only other marks on them were very light from the crimp, did not seem to effect accuracy.
                  Last edited by Dino11; 03-02-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• SDguy
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2015

I only ordered 500. They showed up today. Glad I did not order more. Pull marks are neglable from the few I looked at. Inconsistent point deformation is what leaves me happy that I only did the 500 count. Expect they will be fine for plinking or even hunting inside of 100 yards. They will do well sure to fire-form brass & plinking I expect. Waiting for a few 6mm bullets to be fulfilled at powder vally to have an order with dies shipped.

If i had the barrel Id be getting anxious for components. as it is, sure makes being patient a lot easier.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

Back in the archives of the forum there was someone who compared 6.5 Grendel Lapua small flash hole to Hornady larger flash hole.
                      IIRC not much difference in accuracy or velocity. If you get or have a flash hole deburr tool that will make it the normal size.
                      This is the one I have been using for many years. https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...prod34127.aspx

Comment

Working...
                      X