• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

6.5 staball and the 6 arc

well 6.5 staball works in the arc with 90g bullets
    used it to fireform some 7.62x39 brass today and accuracy with the un fireformed brass and staball was suprising stopped at 30 rds to snap this pic
    @100y

now that the cases are fireformed i need to shoot a ladder with them and get some chrono data , 6.5 staball and the 90g fmj might make a nice very soft shooting close to midrange sd load
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

I'm not seeing Staball in the Hornady on line data. From reports from here at the forum of Staball in the Grendel I would speculate that velocity will be much less than other powders. I look forward to your chrono data either way.

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
      I'm not seeing Staball in the Hornady on line data. From reports from here at the forum of Staball in the Grendel I would speculate that velocity will be much less than other powders. I look forward to your chrono data either way.

there is some data for 103G+
      using mlrps in the x39 brass should be able to get a lil more pressure out of them
      i had those 50 loaded at 29g of staball with 90g bullets

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Hodgdon does list it with the heavier weight bullets in their data, I think it can work and work ok but max loads are compressed and I think you might find a good load for it but might be giving up a bit of speed especially with lighter weight bullets. Burn rate IIRC for Staball is close to H4350 and that would seem better for the cases with a bit more case volume. But if you have it give it a try and let us know.

I could be wrong but I think it might be a case of diminishing returns especially with the lighter weight bullets, which I have seen a few times for cartridges and slower burn rate powders. I suspect it will not get good burn without being near the high end of charge weights and that is something I shy away from with the AR platform generally. Keep up with velocity in the ladder test and look for plateau of velocity as powder charges increase. I think with the lighter weight bullets you might run into that.

Like I said earlier if you have it give it a try and let us know. Curious to see the data. People did say CFE223 and Leverevolution were to slow for the Grendel and they work fine.

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          Hodgdon does list it with the heavier weight bullets in their data, I think it can work and work ok but max loads are compressed and I think you might find a good load for it but might be giving up a bit of speed especially with lighter weight bullets. Burn rate IIRC for Staball is close to H4350 and that would seem better for the cases with a bit more case volume. But if you have it give it a try and let us know.

I could be wrong but I think it might be a case of diminishing returns especially with the lighter weight bullets, which I have seen a few times for cartridges and slower burn rate powders. I suspect it will not get good burn without being near the high end of charge weights and that is something I shy away from with the AR platform generally. Keep up with velocity in the ladder test and look for plateau of velocity as powder charges increase. I think with the lighter weight bullets you might run into that.

Like I said earlier if you have it give it a try and let us know. Curious to see the data. People did say CFE223 and Leverevolution were to slow for the Grendel and they work fine.
          yeah deff needs the heavier bullets but i have no use for theese 90 fmj's soi figured perfect bullet to waste for fireforming , same with the staball i have a lifetime supply of that stuff for my creemoor so instead of using up my good arc/gren powders to fireform i figured why not use the staball but after that round of fireforming ill see if i cant make a decent sd load with it and those 90's or maybe even just plinking ammo

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

All good reasons for using it. I bet you can find a good load for plinking and useful velocity as well.

Fireforming for wildcats and repurposing brass I like to use similar to what Nosler recommends for the 280AI.

Seat to the lands with the bullet so the start pressure goes up a bit quicker instead of having a jump which reduces start or pressure some giving a little quicker pressure build up and less case stretch near the case head.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Hodgdon's speeds for Staball appear to be in the realm of Varget's and although it's not as temp insensitive as Varget, it is far less sensitive than any of the other powders Hodgdon lists for heavier bullets. If a predictable velocity and accompanying consistent zero are of value, it's worthwhile. Targets other than game don't care what velocity you hit them with. You either hit them or you don't.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• mel
                Chieftain
                • Nov 2019

ill run a ladder test in those fire formed cases sometime this week and get some chrono data out of my 20 and 12 inch guns ima stick with just plain ol lrps for now if deemed safe at listed high end loads ill retry with magnum lrps to see if i can get just a lil more out of them just for curosities sake , i actually need to develop a hunting load with my 75's in the lrp brass for hunting season so i can save all my srp sstuff for target shooting

Comment

• mel
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2019

ive got 20 loaded up at 29.5g od staball to try out wither later today or maybe on friday or sunday

Comment

• Trashy
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

Have only used StaBall 6.5 in the 6mm ARC. The rifle ran without hiccups and gave fairly good accuracy (moa) but the StaBall gives up about 300 FPS as compared to Leverevolution and A2520. YMMV of course, good luck.

Trashy

Comment

• Sinclair
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

mel, my question is did the three @ the approximate 9 o'clock from the bull occur at the beginning of th string or tend?
                      "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                      Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                      Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
                        mel, my question is did the three @ the approximate 9 o'clock from the bull occur at the beginning of th string or tend?
                        i honestly didnt pay attention i was expecting far worse accuracy out of un fireformed cases so i was just sending rounds downrange to form the brass without paying much attention to poi shifts , the other 20 rds grouped with the rest so im going to say it was just me that put them high

Comment

• Sinclair
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          i honestly didnt pay attention i was expecting far worse accuracy out of un fireformed cases so i was just sending rounds downrange to form the brass without paying much attention to poi shifts , the other 20 rds grouped with the rest so im going to say it was just me that put them high
                          . Thank you for the reply. I have read that some do not believe in the cold bore theory only cold shooters. I am sufficiently erratic that I can not tell from my range experience.
                          "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                          Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                          Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                          X