• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SCJim
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

30 Grendel bench rifle

picked this up gently used benchrest rifle from a friend who has had to stop shooting for health reasons to use to play in the short range for score BR competitions at my club. Best I can do with it are high .2s and low .3s five round groups but they are consistent and good enough for club level competitions. Here is where I was playing with seating depths the other day. My buddy told me it liked a hard jam. This is with a case full of N120 and Berger 115 gn flat base bullets, he was right. First and last groups were with a .015 jam the two middles were with the seating at .010 and .005 jam.

rifle is a Bat action, Benchmark 20 inch barrel, jewel 2 oz trigger, Mcmillon stock

seating test SM.jpg
  • Redleg11B
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2023

30 Grendel, 30 ARX, 30 Major, ...? I have been thinking about something like this for hunting vs the 6.5 just because.

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

SCJim,
      is the pressure limit with this wildcat the same as a std. Grendel? If so, then you should get a very long useful accurate life out of the barrel. with a modest powder capacity and modest pressure level, the throat shouldn't burn out for a long time. what scope are you using to allow one to aim with enough precision to soot into the .1s? also what kind of loading procedures, brass prep, powder selection criteria, and any other minutia can you share that gives ammo with enough consistency to shoot into the .1s?
      thanks,
      -tdbru

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Redleg11B View Post
        30 Grendel, 30 ARX, 30 Major, ...? I have been thinking about something like this for hunting vs the 6.5 just because.
        Am sure it would kill just as dead as the others. Not so sure you would like them for much else though. I think the 6.5 Grendel is way more versatile than a 30 grain capacity, .30 caliber cartridge.

LR-55

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

I think you got a gem. It's built for bench rest and should be very pleasant to shoot (recoil and muzzle blast). To get better accuracy you may need to explore all the reloading and shooting techniques that bench rest shooters use.
          Just for the fun factor I would imagine it will be one of your favorite guns.

Comment

• Bob R
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2023

We have started to shoot what we call a Short Course Match at the Big Piney Sportsman's Club near Houston Missouri. In the Hi-Power Division we have a 100 yard Match and a 200 yard Match. Something like a 308x1.5 or your 30 Grendel is the winning ticket. We shoot for Score, and Big Bullet Holes trump small ones. We also have a Semi-Auto Division so that AR's have a place to play.
            Unfortunate Situation, I have all the Toys to Play in all Divisions, and I run the match and do not have time to shoot.

The Short Course Match has mainly turned into a Rimfire Competition. Rimfire shoots at 50 yards and 100 yards. We also have Bolt, Semi-auto, and Handgun Divisions.

Hope that you have a Blast shooting tiny groups with it.

Bob R

Comment

Working...
            X