• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herzo
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Waiting for my McGowan 6mm AR barrel

Nearing my eighth decade and wanting to continue to enjoy the shooting sport, I decided to build a rifle for the AR Tactical matches. While my 6.5 Grendel performs very well at 600 yards, it does run out of steam at 1000. Rules are simple, an AR in any Caliber from 5.56 to 7.62, 20" max barrel length, 4.5# minimum trigger weight, 15X maximum scope, 14# maximum rifle weight with all accessories,
    bipod or front rest allowed and minimalist rear support.
    Having had good luck with the 6mm AR and managing to keep the 112 grain Barns Match Burner comfortably supersonic at 1K, I began a quest for a 20" barrel in the H-BAR contour. Fortunately, McGowan will provide for my need at a reasonable price.
    That along with a 4.5# Hyperfire trigger, a Cabelas (!) 3-15X SFP scope, a 20 MOA mount and what other parts I have laying around should make for an entertaining season.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

This sounds like a ton of fun. Please take us along for the ride. Let us know how your season goes.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• muvef
      Warrior
      • Mar 2017

Any updates on your barrel?

Comment

• Herzo
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2017

Nothing yet, approximately 12 weeks since I placed the order, the promised delivery was 12 to 16 weeks.

Comment

• Javman
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

Have an ARP 6mm Gr and with RDF 105s at 2739 ish they are a blast to shoot!

Comment

• Herzo
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Javman View Post
            Have an ARP 6mm Gr and with RDF 105s at 2739 ish they are a blast to shoot!
            What length barrel are you using to get that velocity?

Comment

• Javman
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Herzo View Post
              What length barrel are you using to get that velocity?
              22" ARP slim profile. It tips the scale at 8lbs with scope and all.

Comment

• Herzo
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2017

Big brown truck showed up today with the barrel. Assembled the upper and verified that my once fired, resized brass would chamber and a primer would fire. All my chambers (1 - 6.5 & 2 - 6mm Grendels) run 0.010 to 0.012" long and this seems to be similar. Loaded a several 112 gr Barnes Match Burners over various loads of VV N135 & N530. All I need now is for the weather to break.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Sweet! I can't wait.
                  Paul Peloquin

Comment

• Herzo
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2017

Had some decent weather over the weekend, and took the newly assembled rifle out to the range on Saturday. Had a couple of issues -- rifle would not cycle, would not hold zero and after several rounds, it failed to eject.
                    Took it home to figure things out.
                    Gas port was drilled 0.074", research suggested 0.093" would be required for a rifle length barrel. Opened it up.
                    Ejector was missing along with the retaining spring pin?? Replaced.
                    Rookie mistake -- loose scope mount.
                    Back to the range on Sunday -- tried several loads, VV 135 & 530 were not up to expectations, 3" groups @ 200 yards. CFE223 however looks like it might work with one load producing a 1.3" group @ 2550 fps. Need to pursue that combination.

Went home and while admiring my new acquisition, something did not look quite right......I put a scale on the barrel and it measured 22"!!!!
                    Fortunately, I have access to a lathe, and the barrel is now the legal 20".
                    Time to put together some fresh ammo and start load development.

Comment

• muvef
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2017

Looking forward to any updates, Herzo.

Good luck!

Comment

• Herzo
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2017

May have found the load combination for the rifle, 28.5 gr CFE223 behind the 112 gr Barnes Match Burnerwirt Federal AR match primer and COAL 2.310". Club has a 400 yard match on the 30th, we'll see how it performs.

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Herzo View Post
                          May have found the load combination for the rifle, 28.5 gr CFE223 behind the 112 gr Barnes Match Burnerwirt Federal AR match primer and COAL 2.310". Club has a 400 yard match on the 30th, we'll see how it performs.
                          Looking forward to it.
                          Paul Peloquin

Comment

Working...
                          X