• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saltydoge
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2022

help with heavy 22 grendel load data

Hello, after months upon months of waiting I have finally obtained and built my 22 grendel for my AR. I plan on exclusively shooting only the heavy 80gr+ bullets through the gun. However, this is my very first cartridge into wildcat territory and getting load data seems difficult and I have very little trust in GRT. I ended up modifying the h2o value of a 22PPC to 35 h2o that the grendel cartridge gets. I want to double check with other people before loading to see if the numbers that GRT gave me are in an accurate ballpark for a safe loading in an AR15 for 22 grendel.
    The bullet selections I have managed to get my paws on are Hornady 88gr ELDM, 90gr Atips, and SMK 95gr. For powder I have a lot of BLC2 (stuff is great for 130gr in 6.5 grendel), and a pound of leverevoloution and alliant 2000MR.
    I plan to keep the loads in the moderate area and ideally keep pressures under 52k PSI. My FPS goals from a 24in barrel and loaded to maglength of 2.26 are 2650FPS on the SMKs, hornady I figure i can push both the A tip and ELDM out to 2750 safely. But with those numbers, ill be a happy camper.
    GRT gave me the following numbers for maximums

SMK 95gr
    BLC2 26gr, 52k PSI, vel est 2686FPS
    Leverevolution 25.7gr, 51.5k PSI, vel est 2729FPS
    Alliant 2000MR 26.5gr, 51.9k PSI, vel est 2710FPS

Hornady 90gr ATIP/88gr ELDM (gave virtually same results
    BLC2 26.6gr, 51.7K PSI, vel est 2784FPS
    Leverevolution 26.4gr, 51.7K PSI, vel est 2839 FPS
    Alliant 2000MR 27.1gr 51.9k PSI, vel est 2803FPS

All help is appreciated along with anyones experiences with the heavy long bullets in 22 grendel. Thanks.
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Check this guys videos out. Getting good results from H4350? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXS3TWGanAA

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

.224 AR has been a wildcat that Robert Whitley has been offering complete uppers and load data for during the past 13 years.

I would use his start loads and then work up some pressure ladders in .2gr increments to get an idea of how it builds pressure/velocity relative to charge weight increases.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Saltydoge
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2022

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          .224 AR has been a wildcat that Robert Whitley has been offering complete uppers and load data for during the past 13 years.

I would use his start loads and then work up some pressure ladders in .2gr increments to get an idea of how it builds pressure/velocity relative to charge weight increases.
          sure thing. I put enough text to rival the average text from the wife and I got lazy. GRT would be Gordons Reloading Tool. Its a handy software, a free version of quick load and all community driven.
          I took Mr. Whitleys data. Man some of that stuff is HOT but if he is running 27gr of powder on an berger 82gr with varget and recommending it. I think that GRT is not giving me a nonsense number. Guess ill have to rebuild the bench and get going on the weekend. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X