• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Considering a 6mm Arc rifle or upper would like your input

Have not been an AR inclined shooter as of yet. Well perhaps I am getting worn down. I have been a 6.5 Grendel fan & now a 6mm ARC fan. Both 6.5 Grendel & 6mm ARC have been on a CZ 527 bolt action application. My CZ 527 rifle barrels have been 22" in length. I am inclined to go 24 " for the 6mm ARC upper or AR. I have not been an AR kind of a guy for a long time now. Perhaps I should just stick with the bolt action rifles.

Talk me out of an AR if you would. BTW I do have a Re arms 223 that I inherited & really don't show much interest in shooting that.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• SDguy
      Warrior
      • Oct 2015

I had little interest in dads Rock river arms in 223 though I have put nearly 100 rounds through it. to my surprise that AR experience was not at all addictive for me. Despite the fact that AR was boringly accurate easy sub MOA the semi auto just did not go far in the way of ticking enough of my boxes.

With AR's being so popular I feel a bit weird that they have so little appeal for me. The 223 in a bolt action never did much for me either I suppose.

17 fireball bolt action big on the cool factor in my eyes.

221 Fireball still pretty cool in bolt action.

300 black out eh not so much in any configuration for me.

6.5 Grendel in the bolt action CZ 527. Yes that is what I am talking about. Real cool!

Then along comes the 6mm ARC and we get a barrel chambered in 6mm ARC for the CZ 527 & to my surprise I like it even more than the CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Why I ask.
      Well the lesser recoil is certainly a plus. The higher BC options that can be pushed to near ideal velocity ,weighs in the heaviest in favor of the 6mm ARC. Availability & lesser cost of 6mm projectiles certainly is a plus. Effectiveness on taking deer at distance also weighs in heavily for me.

Suppose the quick follow up shot just has not done much for me as my goal is to get the job done right with the first round & 6mm ARC gets that done in spades thus far.

So I still can not explain why Im considering kicking this 6mm ARC AR can down the road.
      Last edited by SDguy; 04-17-2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• myrifle
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
        I had little interest in dads Rock river arms in 223 though I have put nearly 100 rounds through it. to my surprise that AR experience was not at all addictive for me. Despite the fact that AR was boringly accurate easy sub MOA the semi auto just did not go far in the way of ticking enough of my boxes.

With AR's being so popular I feel a bit weird that they have so little appeal for me. The 223 in a bolt action never did much for me either I suppose.

17 fireball bolt action big on the cool factor in my eyes.

221 Fireball still pretty cool in bolt action.

300 black out eh not so much in any configuration for me.

6.5 Grendel in the bolt action CZ 527. Yes that is what I am talking about. Real cool!

Then along comes the 6mm ARC and we get a barrel chambered in 6mm ARC for the CZ 527 & to my surprise I like it even more than the CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Why I ask.
        Well the lesser recoil is certainly a plus. The higher BC options that can be pushed to near ideal velocity ,weighs in the heaviest in favor of the 6mm ARC. Availability & lesser cost of 6mm projectiles certainly is a plus. Effectiveness on taking deer at distance also weighs in heavily for me.

Suppose the quick follow up shot just has not done much for me as my goal is to get the job done right with the first round & 6mm ARC gets that done in spades thus far.

So I still can not explain why Im considering kicking this 6mm ARC AR can down the road.
        Build it or buy it but just do it and then if it doesnt tickle your fancy you can flip it quick and fast on here and use that money to do something else.

Comment

• SDguy
          Warrior
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by myrifle View Post
          Build it or buy it but just do it and then if it doesnt tickle your fancy you can flip it quick and fast on here and use that money to do something else.
          OK say if was to go this rout, Ill request some pointers for a dependable accurate system. What are some of the better components. Pretty sure I want a rifle length 24" barrel think I would benefit from an adjustable gas block. Not sure I am clear on what the better more reliable bolt systems amount to. If I do this I want to hunt deer with the rifle. Thus Ill need 5 round magazines ( state regs) . What are the better mag choices for 6mm ARC? I am sure there are more questions I have not asked. feel free to fill in the blanks. Thank you. Accuracy will be a must IMHO

Bullets that I am hoping to function & shoot accurate from this rifle may include 108 gr Berger Elite hunter. 90 Gr Hornady CX, 88 & or 101 gr Hammer hunter bullets. Perhaps we look at Sierra 100 gr TGK's as well.

Then let's look at the pro's & cons of suppressor options. the carbon blow back may be a deturant from suppressing this rifle, otherwise what's not to like about suppression?
          Last edited by SDguy; 04-17-2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• myrifle
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
            OK say if was to go this rout, Ill request some pointers for a dependable accurate system. What are some of the better components. Pretty sure I want a rifle length 24" barrel think I would benefit from an adjustable gas block. Not sure I am clear on what the better more reliable bolt systems amount to. If I do this I want to hunt deer with the rifle. Thus Ill need 5 round magazines ( state regs) . What are the better mag choices for 6mm ARC? I am sure there are more questions I have not asked. feel free to fill in the blanks. Thank you. Accuracy will be a must IMHO

Bullets that I am hoping to function & shoot accurate from this rifle may include 108 gr Berger Elite hunter. 90 Gr Hornady CX, 88 & or 101 gr Hammer hunter bullets. Perhaps we look at Sierra 100 gr TGK's as well.

Then let's look at the pro's & cons of suppressor options. the carbon blow back may be a deturant from suppressing this rifle, otherwise what's not to like about suppression?
            First the suppressor. Others will have to advice you on that as I find cnas too be a waist of time and money.

Barrel. Go custom. I would have Mark at PF make me a barrel and if you want to go with a 24 inch I would talk to him about longer then rifle length gas system and see what he says.

Bolts. Either wait for bft to have his new extractor ready for his bolts or get a bolt straight from maxuim.

Bolt carrier. Righttobear arms sells really good bcgs. I personally use lowmass bcgs in everything.

Gas block. I dont think a rifle length system or longer gas system will have a need for adjustable gas. But you could still put one on since you mentioned wanting a can, so you may need it.

Mags. Any 5 round grendel mag will work. My personal choice is cpd but the asc mags do give a lil bit more load length.

If I was building this for myself this is how I would build it.

Anderson upper and lower
            Atlas s-one handguard
            SLR adjustable gas block.
            24 inch PF barrel with rifle +2 gas length
            Righttobear lowmass nickol boron bcg
            Sixfivearms or maxium bolt. Or have Mark supply a bolt with barrel, he uses maxium bolts.
            SSA-e trigger
            Rilfe length buffer tube
            Jp gen 2 scs normal weight not the heavier versions.
            Magpul fixed rifle or prs stock
            Magpul grip
            Magpul trigger guard
            Leopold mark ar scope mount
            Mid too top teir athlon or vortex scope based on hunting/target needs
            Muzzle device would be a brake to lessen recoil even more and spot my own hits at range. Again probably would have Mark install and blend his inhouse muzzle brake too the barrel.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X