• Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Hornady Team Discusses 6mm ARC

THIS
    terminal ballistics
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

What a bunch of salesmen.

With all due respect, they're speaking so vaguely as for it to be meaningless. Let me understand, terminal ballistics at range (which he will not identify), a 105-ish grain 6mm starting at 2650 is going to exceed a 175 SMK 7.62 starting at 2500-ish (20" barrel)?

Let's run the numbers:
    6ARC subsonic at 1050 w/274 lb-ft
    7.62x51 subsonic at 950yds w/491 lb-ft

If you want to say it stays supersonic longer, then say that. If you want to say it's effective at longer ranges, than say that. But don't expect me to believe that 274 is more/better than 491. Don't expect me to believe that terminal performance is better, unless you mean beyond the range the 7.62 can hit. That would be better external ballistics, wouldn't it?
    Last edited by biodsl; 04-29-2022, 10:23 PM.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I'm sure some of it is salesman-talk.
      But if you do apples to apples, say both at 950 yd, then the 7.62 is 491 ft/lb ke, and the 6Arc is 439.
      That looks pretty close, now the momentum impact may differ but if ke is the ability to rearrange the innards of the guy it hits, they are pretty close to equal. Don't we always say that when an animal is hit, you don't worry about 50 ft-lb or so?

Not trying to sway the argument one way or the other, but just laying out a side by side comparison... "at distance" -- whatever that means! Definitely easier to carry and easier to send out a followup shot as sight picture would be less disturbed by the shot...

Even as a hunter/shooter (and not by any means an SOF or even regular Army/Marine trained guy!) there are plenty of places I would choose my 308 (or Creedmoor!) over grendel or 6Arc... but there might be some places I would choose the 6Arc first, as well.

I really enjoyed reading '52's account on the relatively miniscule place a "new rifle" program has in the grand scheme of DoD procurement dollars, and actual on-scene fighting materiel... interesting indeed!
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Grayfox...I get 347 lb-ft at 950 yards for the 6ARC. Did I do something wrong?
        Hornady 105 bthp at 2650 at the muzzle, standard pressure and temp. Am I underestimating the velocity with an 18" barrel?
        Paul Peloquin

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

IDK, let me double check...
          Hornady Black ammo with mgspd in my barrel, Hornady 105 bthp, BC-G1 0.530, ok I used 2651 'cause I have it already in my pointblank ballistics table. (which actually is for my 20" Monster barrel... but who's looking? hahaha!)
          Now it only uses G1's so I don't have any G7 performance data...
          But in PB it shows 950 yds, -310.53 in. path drop, velocity 1372 ft/s, 439 fpe KE.
          At 100 yds it shows 409 ke.

Could be the difference for g1 vs g7 maybe? g7 would be more accurate that's true.

[edit to add] my app is set for 500 ft elev, 70 degF.

To follow up on one of my comments, in the vid they keep the meaning of "at distance" classified - for good reason I guess. But my guess would be 800 yds/ maybe 750m if you're "click-happy." (lol!) the 7.62 would have some advantage in metrics at that yardage...

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Maybe in practical terms they are really saying, with a lighter-weight package they can reach out with enough KE to mess up the bad guy's innards at (my guess) 800 yds... to heck with metrics, does he fall over at that range when I hit him center-mass?
            ps, at that distance I postulate that he took his hot and heavy "body armor" off since he figured he was out of range... well, he still doesn't know! (being dead) but his buddies know, bad choice guy!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• jasper2408
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

Here is a comparison between 6mm ARC(Hornady 105gr BTHP), 308Win(Sierra 175gr TMK), and 6.5 Grendel(123gr ELDM) that I did in QuickTarget.
              These calculations are from QuickTarget and QT Unlimited and therefore I do not know how accurate they are. Just thought it would be interesting to see on a graph.

Update: I decided to use graphs that showed the lines better. I also added the 123gr 6.5Grendel to the mix.

VELOCITY
              https://

ENERGY
              Last edited by jasper2408; 05-05-2022, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by jasper2408 View Post
                Here is a comparison between 6mm ARC(Hornady 105gr BTHP) and 308Win(Sierra 175gr TMK) that I did in QuickTarget.
                Excellent. Thanks. A great illustration.
                Paul Peloquin

Comment

• jasper2408
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                  Excellent. Thanks. A great illustration.
                  You are welcome.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

how do you get multiple ballistic calculations out of quicktarget?

Comment

• jasper2408
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                      how do you get multiple ballistic calculations out of quicktarget?
                      I am going to move my response to a new thread where new comparison graphs can be posted. I thought that a new thread for QuickTarget would keep this thread on topic and not about QT.
                      Last edited by jasper2408; 05-02-2022, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

Save as reference. That's what I was missing.

Thanks

Comment

• jasper2408
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2019

Moved this response to the "Using QuickTarget" thread.
                          Last edited by jasper2408; 05-02-2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by jasper2408 View Post
                            Here is a comparison between 6mm ARC(Hornady 105gr BTHP) and 308Win(Sierra 175gr TMK) that I did in QuickTarget. The bottom 2 lines are the ft/lbs and they reference to the scale on the right and the top 2 lines are velocity and they reference to the scale on the left. The bottom scale is range which is 1500yds max.

This graph is at 200m elevation(Ukraine), 70 degrees temp and give about a 200ft/lbs difference at 950yds. I also used 110 deg and the 308 increased to 236ft/lb spread. I then tried 20 degrees temp and the lines came within 140 ft/lbs.

These calculations are from QuickTarget and therefore I do not know how accurate they are. Just thought it would be interesting to see on a graph.

Purple line = 6mm ARC velocity - 2600fps starting velocity
                            Red line = 308Win velocity - 2500fps starting velocity

Blue line = 308Win ft/lbs
                            Light blue line = 6mm ARC ft/lbs

That's interesting. Any chance you can throw in basic 6.5 Grendel Hornady 123 gr to compare?
                            4x P100

Comment

• Zeneffect
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2020

the precise reason i asked how to run the overlays. what speed on the 123? im looking at 2700fps because my gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X