• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

22 Grendel any thoughts experience?? Thinking about an new upper

Looking for feedback and reasons to build or not to build a 22 Grendel. Has anyone built one and what are your thoughts? I need a 3-500yd coyote killer.
  • sbowhuntr
    Warrior
    • Mar 2019

I'm very intrigued by the 22 grr.. possibly my next build also, can't wait for some to chime in with experience with it. Watched a few vids on YouTube and really looks like 22-250 velocities with a 24" tube.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Precision Firearms makes barrels for it. Searching for dies. Got plenty of brass

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
        Warrior
        • Oct 2014

popeye- I have very limited experience so far- I got a bartlein 22' barrel chambered by Bart baldwin. it is a 1:6.5 twist but it was in stock, so I jumped on it sinnce i was planning on shooting heavier bullets anyway.
        Put upper together, formed some brass (hornady) from some 1x brass I had. I used a redding type s die, necked down in 4 steps to 22 cal, I use a forster 22 PPC seater die.
        took out gun last fall tested varget, CFE223 and H4350 mainly with hornady 88 eld m's. it shoots great with these powders so far, with CFE223 winning the velocity contest - about 2830fps and barrel isnt broke in yet obviously.
        I have not taken it out to distance yet- waiting for weather & work to calm down. I my opinion, this would be the ultimate predator caliber, and if you already have grendel reloading stuff, its a no brainer.

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
          popeye- I have very limited experience so far- I got a bartlein 22' barrel chambered by Bart baldwin. it is a 1:6.5 twist but it was in stock, so I jumped on it sinnce i was planning on shooting heavier bullets anyway.
          Put upper together, formed some brass (hornady) from some 1x brass I had. I used a redding type s die, necked down in 4 steps to 22 cal, I use a forster 22 PPC seater die.
          took out gun last fall tested varget, CFE223 and H4350 mainly with hornady 88 eld m's. it shoots great with these powders so far, with CFE223 winning the velocity contest - about 2830fps and barrel isnt broke in yet obviously.
          I have not taken it out to distance yet- waiting for weather & work to calm down. I my opinion, this would be the ultimate predator caliber, and if you already have grendel reloading stuff, its a no brainer.
          Talked to PF he said he's getting new reamers in June. Ordering bushings and the Forster PPC die. I'll order the barrel pretty soon 20" 1/7 fluted Criterion

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
            Warrior
            • Oct 2014

popeye- good call on PF. I have a kreiger and a Bartlein 6.5 grendel barrel from him. It takes a while, but its worth it. Good call on the 1:7 twist , that will be more versatile if you want to shoot a bit lighter bullets.
            I didn't do much load development- just measured to the lands with Hornady tool, set bullets .015' off the lands, ended up at 2.255" for 88 eld m's. I'm getting 10 shot groups at 100yds just under an inch.
            I have a bunch of hornady 75gr hpbt, but i dont know if the 1:6.5 would over stabilize them-
            only one way to find out. And I want to grab some 6.5 staball powder-guys have been getting more velocity & less pressure with that- there was a public facebook group for 224 grendel with good load data, but now its private.
            I love this caliber so far, with very limited load development. Hardly any recoil, very flat shooting, cheaper bullets. my goal with this was just longer range target shooting.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
              Warrior
              • Jun 2018

They are an absolute ball. I had a 20" 7tw from Bart Baldwin and it shot tiny groups. Life ended up getting in the way and I sold it to a buddy, but he grins from ear to ear when I ask him what he thinks about it.

Comment

• okiecat
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

I think this one will be fun to play with and i've got some yotes running around on the property I would like for the two meet..hehe. Always had a hankering for .220 Swift I think this will be a good substitute.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2014

loaded up some 6.5 staball test loads with 88gr eld m's. most groups (5 shots) were not good-- around 1'' or slightly bigger, started at 31.0gr. When I got up to 32.2gr, however, things tightened up nicely.
                    at 32.2gr velocity was 2892fps with an SD of 7. 4 shots went into .393'', one slight flier. At 32.4gr velocity was 2930fps SD= 11. 4 shots went into .353'', again another slight flier.
                    no real overpressure signs on the brass. That's as high as I went. I'm pretty happy with that so far, more velocity than my CFE223 loads, and "I assume" less pressure, and less temperature sensitivity.

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Thanks for the info ADD!! I've been on the fence about the Staball since my favorites are scarce or unobtanium looks like it's worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                      X