• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Howa 6mm ARC experience

Looking at giving a 22" Howa 6mm ARC a try in the coming weeks. Will pick up a barreled action tomorrow & expect a carbon fiber stock from Stocky's next week. Have not decided on scope mounting system yet. Would greatly apreciate input on scope mount options. feel free to weigh in on the scope mounts, bottom metal options & your experience with Howa mini action rifles.

I'll weigh in in the coming weeks once I have acquired a bit of exposure.

Thank you all!
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

There's a 6 ARC Forum where you can ask questions about the cartridge & rifles that shoot it. https://6mmarc.com/

Any information about scope mounting that you'll find in this 6.5 Grendel website for the mini Howa will be appropriate for the 6 ARC Howa as well.
    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• SDguy
      Warrior
      • Oct 2015

Larger pool of Howa mini users are likely to be found on this form. The contributing parties on the 6 ARC Forum is rather limited, even more so with the bolt action side of things. So I thought I'd reach out here as well. Stocky's carbon fiber stock should be here tomorrow. Have moderately high hopes. Time will tell.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
        Larger pool of Howa mini users are likely to be found on this form. The contributing parties on the 6 ARC Forum is rather limited, even more so with the bolt action side of things. So I thought I'd reach out here as well. Stocky's carbon fiber stock should be here tomorrow. Have moderately high hopes. Time will tell.
        Last edited by Harpoon1; 06-13-2023, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• SDguy
          Warrior
          • Oct 2015

Made it out with the new to me, Howa 6mm ARC over the weekend. Just getting used to the set up with windy conditions. One note worthy disappointing experience with the outing, was the bolt face, was tending to chew up case heads with factory ammo & mild reloads. Thoughts?

Comment

• Darryle
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2022

Pictures of the brass and bolt face?

Maybe a burr on the ejector face and on the extractor?

I recall a post from Tony Rumore, IIRC, where he polished both on his Mini, maybe for a similar reason? I will see if I can find the post.
            NRA Patriot Life Member Benefactor
            GOA Life Member
            TSRA Life Member
            NSCA Life Member

Comment

• SDguy
              Warrior
              • Oct 2015

See bolt face
              Attached Files

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

Hornady brass is factory ammo
                Attached Files

Comment

• SDguy
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2015

Harpoon1

Stocky's offers two carbon fiber stocks to fit the Howa Mini. The sporter model is just under 17 ounces. The vertical grip runs 20 ounces.

Thank you for your input on the scope mounts.

Think Ill prefer the clean bottom offered w the hinged floor plate.

Comment

• SDguy
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2015

Cleaned up bolt face after photos. Felt for burrs on the bolt face on either side of the extractor & indeed this was an issue. Managed to make some progress removing those burrs. Would really like to remove the ejector & extractor to better facilitate a good polish of the bolt face. Unfortunately I do not have a proper punch to remove the retaining pins. GRR

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Harpoon1

Stocky's offers two carbon fiber stocks to fit the Howa Mini. The sporter model is just under 17 ounces. The vertical grip runs 20 ounces.

Thank you for your input on the scope mounts.

Think Ill prefer the clean bottom offered w the hinged floor plate.
                      Roger that, thanks!

Comment

• Old Bob
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2019

Cleaned up bolt face after photos. Felt for burrs on the bolt face on either side of the extractor & indeed this was an issue. Managed to make some progress removing those burrs. Would really like to remove the ejector & extractor to better facilitate a good polish of the bolt face. Unfortunately I do not have a proper punch to remove the retaining pins. GRR
                        Brownells has a bolt vise for removing the ejector from AR15 bolts. They have pin punch sets too ...

Check out the SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL available Online at Brownells Today and many more Fixtures & Blocks products are available in our Tools & Cleaning Department.

Brownells is your source for roll pin punch sets at Brownells parts and accessories. Shop our vast selection and save!
                        I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• SDguy
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2015

Dawned on me last night that I may be able to polish the bolt face with a cartridge & a bit of polishing compound. Placed a rather well used cartridge in a cordless drill chuck. Applied a bit of polishing compound on the base of the cartridge & proceed to apply force to the bolt face compressing the ejector while running the drill rorward & reverse. Looks good now & i feel more optimistic about this bolt performance going forward.

Comment

Working...
                          X