• okiecat
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

22 Grendel loads

• A.D.D. AR
    Warrior
    • Oct 2014

okiecat-
    nice thing (and bad I guess) about the 22 gren is so many powders work- I don't have specific experience loading for "lighter" bullets, just 88 gr eld so far.
    For 60- 70 gr bullets, If you're after velocity, I'd say CFE223 or Leverevolution. But BLC2 and H335 and AA2520 would work fine-
    IF you want less temp. sensitivity, I'd stick with varget or XBR 8208,
    sorry I don't have specific charge weight info, it's a bit hard to find, but theres a few threads on sniper's hide, predator master forum, etc.
    have fun!
    Hope this helps

Comment

• okiecat
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Data for the 22 PPC may be of use in a bolt gun. (Usually disclaimers, start low, get multiple sources, do all things to be safe, etc.)
        H322, 4895, LT 32. In my use of 22 BR, many powders work well so perhaps start with one you have a large amount of to start out with, single based (stick) preferred.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

I've heard guys with GRT and quickload use the 22 nosler as a better predictor of pressures for the 22 grendel. I don't have either GRT or quickload- I really need someone to run a simulation with 22 grendel and 6.5 staball with 85-90 gr bullets for me to set my mind at ease.
          Okiecat- being that your barrel is a 1:9 twist, have you ever thought about using 53gr vmax? You could get those zipping along about 3500 fps!

Comment

• Lemonaid
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

A.D.D. AR you should download the FREE GRT program. It is a useful tool and not very hard to use. Helpful discord channel to answer questions. Money back if not satisfied!

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
              Warrior
              • Oct 2014

Lemonaid- I didn't realize there was a free version. money back guarantee, haha . What's the website? Thanks!

Comment

• Huckleberry75
                Warrior
                • Jun 2018

Yes it does expand/upset/fragment on soft targets. Start around 25.0gn of 8208 and work up with the standard observations to pressure. In my AR I had some pressure issues, but with a bolt gun, you should be GTG.
                Last edited by Huckleberry75; 07-05-2023, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• okiecat
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

Comment

• Huckleberry75
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2018

It works well in the 22gr, but its flat out nasty in a 22cm at 3500fps

Comment

• flatland1
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2018

I had only chronographed three loads in my Howa Mini 22 Grendel when I decided to re-chamber the Bartlein gain twist for the 22 Grinch. I was using Alliant PP2000MR with Berger 85.5 Hybrids and getting around 2950fps out of that 24" bbl. Like the OP, I wasn't having any luck finding load data, so just started out plenty low and worked my way up. I wish I'd seen the issue of Handloader with the 22 Grendel article in it - would've been very helpful.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2014

flatland1 - Hopefully now that Hornady came out with the 22 ARC, we will have more load data/ pressure info to learn from.

Comment

• okiecat
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

Comment

• okiecat
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2017

Got to shoot a sort of ladder the other day. Just had an hour. I had 2rds of each powder weight, started at 27.6 and went in 0.2grs increments up to 29.2. Dont have my notes with me, but at 28.4-28.8 started grouping together. 29gr give me 3011 and 3016, 29.2 went 3026 but was a little sticky. I dont think brass will last long with this load. I really likes the 28.8 at 2985. Accuracy was very good. Will get more test and some pics soon.

Comment

• JLDavid
                              Unwashed
                              • Jan 2024

Has anyone tried the 100 and 500 series of VV powders with the 70-90 grain bullets? I use them in other cartridges and they work very good. I have looked through the 22 Nosler data in the VV manual to get some information. 22ppc data stops at 55gr bullets.

Comment

Working...
                              X