• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Well ended up with a 6 AR not an ARC

Got a great deal on it, came with some ammo and brass. My rifle's twin is for sale on the Texas hunting forum. I pulled the 6x SWFA SS Milquad off my Grendel, just happened to have a Keymod bipod mount and a good bipod for it. Cleaned the action and bolt then lubed it down. Doesn't look to be fired much but I ran 8 rounds through it. Reloads from the previous owner who I trust. At any rate the load, 28.5 grains of ARComp in a Starline Grendel case necked down to 6mm under a 90 grain Accubond and popped with a CCI #41 primer. First four were to get it on paper and at a hundred yards I had to give it 2 clicks right to get it centered. Last three shots just under 3/4ths of an inch. My only snivel is that load development was too easy! Actually I have plans to test the 58 gr. VMax and the 55 gr. Ballistic tips just because and a number of other bullets mostly pushed with BLC2 because I have plenty of it.
    Last edited by rickt300; 06-27-2023, 03:55 PM.
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Ok rifle proving itself to be accurate with 58 gr. Vmax's. Load development began by using 6PPC data and BLC2. Though cartridge drawings vary for the PPC it still has a slightly smaller capacity than the 6AR. I started with 31.0 grains of BLC2 under the Vmax popped by a Federal small rifle primer (the 205). 3 shots at 50 yards hit dead center and my sight line was being interfered with by some kind of blasted weed. Still around a half inch. Did the exact same thing with a 32.0 grain load of the same powder and bullet at 50 yards. Loaded 15 with the 32.0 grain loading and moved back to the 100 yard line after chopping down the offending weeds. First three shots touching. dropped down 3 clicks and fired 4 into a very tight group. Pressures are mild, cases land in a predictable manner, no swipe, primer edges rounded. Think I have found my coyote load. From my 20 inch barrel I expect I am getting more than 3100fps. Yes my 223 can do this with the same weight bullet. Pretty sure I could up the speed to around 3300fps but see no need. The plan was to get a rifle with better deer capability and just as good on varmints which in my area are Raccoons and Coyotes. This rifle is built on a AERO Precision upper and lower, has a Geisselle GS2 trigger and the barrel came from Black Hole Weaponry. BLC2 burns clean with this load and No changes are anticipated until deer season. The brass was sized with 6 ARC dies set to bump the shoulder back just enough and they work perfectly. I seated the 58gr. Vmax with the base even with the bottom of the neck and the powder is barely compressed.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

I see BHW finally got around to doing a 7 twist 243 LBC. Is he still headspacing for a 7.62x39 bolt?

I love mine and its at about 5500 rds and still going strong. The only downside is that its an 8 twist and can't stabilize the sexy 105s.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

I bought the rifle secondhand and it was made back in 2019 just before the ARC came out.

Comment

• rickt300
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Yep a 7.62x39 bolt. Who makes the best bolt with a .125 face cut? Does your rifle shoot the less pretty 105's like the Hornady BTHP well enough?

Comment

• rickt300
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

The bolt seems to be hardly affected by the some 300 rounds sent through it. Previous owner and I both like to keep pressures moderate. Thanks for the link, it never hurts to have a spare.
            Last edited by rickt300; 06-28-2023, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
              Yep a 7.62x39 bolt. Who makes the best bolt with a .125 face cut? Does your rifle shoot the less pretty 105's like the Hornady BTHP well enough?
              It's not the bolt you need to worry about, it's keeping spare extractors handy. I get about 1K out of them near max loads, albeit I have an 18" with MLGS. It doesn't seem to matter who made them. I've been running mild loads and using it as a practice rifle ever since I got my ARC, so extractors fare much better.

I didn't have luck with Hornady 105 BTHP's, but I never have luck with Hornady bullets. Right now I'm doing a mild load with 105 grain Match Burners and StaBall 6.5. 5 shot groups are MOA with 4 doing 1/2 to 3/4 and one consistently blowing out the group. They also fly straight and predictably to 600 yards using Barnes's G1.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 06-29-2023, 04:44 PM.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Well I just loaded 200 rounds of the above Vmax load. Will order an extractor. Does removing the Oring make a difference?

Comment

• RiverRider
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Rick, that rifle WILL shoot the Hornady 105s. Leverevolution seems to be the ticket. Text me if you want the data.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Well I just loaded 200 rounds of the above Vmax load. Will order an extractor. Does removing the Oring make a difference?
                      I personally remove O Rings from extractors, and make sure they have a good extractor spring and insert. Many are not MIL-STD and are weak.

A properly-gassed system will extract just fine inside the window of the cyclic rate. The O Ring was a band-aid for an early batch of SOPMOD M4A1 barrels with tight chambers, shooting with the KAC NT4 suppressor.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by RiverRider View Post
                        Rick, that rifle WILL shoot the Hornady 105s. Leverevolution seems to be the ticket. Text me if you want the data.
                        Good, will do.

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          I personally remove O Rings from extractors, and make sure they have a good extractor spring and insert. Many are not MIL-STD and are weak.

A properly-gassed system will extract just fine inside the window of the cyclic rate. The O Ring was a band-aid for an early batch of SOPMOD M4A1 barrels with tight chambers, shooting with the KAC NT4 suppressor.
                          Next teardown will remove all orings from my several bolts. Especially since my cyclic rate is generally less than one per 30 seconds. I feel the extra resistance to the extractor moving is a detriment.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Next teardown will remove all orings from my several bolts. Especially since my cyclic rate is generally less than one per 30 seconds. I feel the extra resistance to the extractor moving is a detriment.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                            X