Hornady announces 22 ARC (22 Grendel)

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

This might just what I'm looking for. Once you are at 80gr and above the bc gets really really good in .224 projectile selection, and this should provide enough case capacity to make magic happen.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

The 22 ARC case is longer than the 6mm ARC case, and I'm wondering if it's longer than a Grendel case? Eagerly waiting to see the SAAMI print!

Hornady says they made the case to properly seat their long .224 bullet with minimal intrusion into the neck/shoulder juncture with a 2.260 COAL. I wonder what the specs are?
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
        The 22 ARC case is longer than the 6mm ARC case, and I'm wondering if it's longer than a Grendel case? Eagerly waiting to see the SAAMI print!
        Snagged from Sniper's Hide. Case apparently is 1.525

22ARC.jpg
        Last edited by biodsl; 10-29-2023, 11:50 PM.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

Dear god.... please make me rich so I can shoot many many rounds. Thank you.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
            Snagged from Sniper's Hide. Case apparently is 1.525

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20008[/ATTACH]
            Thanks, if I remember, SAAMI max length for 65G is 1.520, so just .005 longer.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Old Bob
              Warrior
              • Oct 2019

I'm wondering what the case body length to the datum line is. That seems to be a more important measurement to someone who may want to convert either 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC brass to 22 ARC. If the body length is the same as 6 ARC, that would pretty much be a no go because of the short case length. After resizing their necks, I suppose you could fix their body length by fire-forming them but that would be a royal PITA. And they'd still be too short.

I'm also wondering how available will 22 ARC brass be. From experience with 6 ARC, any reloading at first will be with once fired brass or resized brass with .441" heads.
              I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• BlogSarge
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                Dear god.... please make me rich so I can shoot many many rounds. Thank you.

Amen!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                  I'm wondering what the case body length to the datum line is. That seems to be a more important measurement to someone who may want to convert either 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC brass to 22 ARC. If the body length is the same as 6 ARC, that would pretty much be a no go because of the short case length. After resizing their necks, I suppose you could fix their body length by fire-forming them but that would be a royal PITA. And they'd still be too short.

I'm also wondering how available will 22 ARC brass be. From experience with 6 ARC, any reloading at first will be with once fired brass or resized brass with .441" heads.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

That makes sense. Has their been any speculation whether these new bullets will be appropriate for 22 Nosler or 22 Valkyrie? I ask because I have a never used 22 Nosler AR barrel. I was gonna build a 22 Nosler AR but changed my mind & built my Grendel instead after I read some less than stellar reviews of 22 Nosler accuracy.
                    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2014

Hornady said they should have load data on their website by the first of the year. And would add 22 ARC to their ballistic apps.

Comment

• Bob R
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2023

Nothing much posted on this in a while. Here we are in 2024.
                          I managed to come up with Three Box's of Hornady Black Box 75 ELD Ammunition.
                          I also called Saturn and I have a 20", Rifle Gas, .750 Gas Fixture Size, 5/8-24 Muzzle Thread Barrel in the mail. I was a little surprised at the 5/8-24 Muzzle Thread on a .224 Barrel. I am pretty sure this will not end up being an Ultra Lite build.

I have been doing a lot of research on the 22 ARC the last month or so. From what I understand the 22 ARC is a 22 Grendel. It is a full length 6.5 Grendel necked down. Brass for the 22 ARC can be made the old fashioned way, by necking down 6.5 Grendel. A little searching will result in information on making 22 Grendel Brass from 6.5 Grendel. I would wait at this point to find Hornady Loaded Ammunition. If my local Gunsmith got some in, Midway, and other sources should be getting ammunition in shortly. Hornady Reloading Dies are already out.

Doing the math, buying new Hornady Brass (When it gets on the shelf), Bullets, Primers, and Powder is very close to the cost of buying Hornady Loaded Ammunition. Until Starline gets brass out, buying loaded ammunition for brass is not that bad a way to get a 22 ARC up and running.

I will know for sure shortly what it will do. Trying to do an Apples to Apples comparison about the only bullet in common (With Load Data) would be the 80 Grain ELD-M. Which would have to be single loaded in an 5.56 AR15. Running Numbers to convert published (24") 22 ARC Load Data to 20 Inch Barrel Numbers. My research indicates that the 22 ARC will push 80 Grain ELD-M Bullets 200 fps faster than single loaded rounds in an 5.56. That does not sound like much, until you start looking at numbers down range. That 200 fps is knocking lots of MOA off dialing the scope up. It is also Magazine Fed, Not a Single Shot.

Getting away from Apples to Apples. The 22 ARC will Magazine Feed lots of HIGH BC Bullets that will not Magazine Feed in a 5.56. The NEW Hornady 62 ELD-VT bullet is a very good example. This should be about as good a Coyote bullet as you can get. I have seen this bullet, and it does look good. My plan so far is to run 80 grain Berger VLD and 80 grain A-Max bullets in it for a few years. I have a very good supply of 80 grain bullets on hand for my 223 Remington 600 yard F Class rifle.

I am looking forward to getting it up and running. More to come on the Build.

Bob R
                          Last edited by Bob R; 01-20-2024, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2020

I'm playing the multi-month waiting game for my Craddock 22 arc barrel

Hopefully by the time it arrives there will be more than just hornady dies available on the market.

Bob, you can get the 80gr eldm to mag length in .223? I been single feeding mine as they are pretty long and never considered that they could be seated to mag length. That extra 200fps is over 100ftlbs difference of energy at 550 yards. Now consider, what if both had a similar coal so single feed everything. 300fps? 400fps?

The way I see it, this is the 22 grendel i wanted and the valkyrie I threw away because it sucked. I'm looking forward to this cartridge and am happy about my decision to not 6arc.
                            Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-03-2024, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                              The way I see it, this is the 22 grendel i wanted and the valkyrie I threw away because it sucked. I'm looking forward to this cartridge and am happy about my decision to not 6arc.
                              Pretty funny about the Valkyrie. A total face-plant.

There's a lot of versatility in owning these two cartridges; the 22ARC and Grendel. Everything from prairie dogs to elk.
                              Last edited by biodsl; 01-03-2024, 10:03 PM.
                              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                              X