Anyone actually see these issues with 6mm ARC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Anyone actually see these issues with 6mm ARC?

6mm MAX Q&A
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Dino11
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2020

I have probably put over 10,000 rounds down range since the release of the platform. One rifle has seen 4000+, rounds through it. Not once has my gas tube clogged on any of the gas guns. What powder are you using, and what load are you loading them with? These two items might help answer your question.

I have never broken a bolt or extractor either, but I never load to or above max load. I find that best accuracy SD and ES are a little below max, and their is no reason to load max with these Secant profiled bullets, they carry their velocity very well down range. So no need to try and hot rod them to shoot farther or get them to open up upon impact on game.

Load information will help answer your question, also what gas block are you using?

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

I only have 800 or 1000 rounds down the pipe of my Rebby-spun 16" Lilja. All of it with 105 grain bullets with CFE or Lever. No problems. To be fair, I'm not competing with it. I'm not loading my mags to capacity and runnin' and gunnin'. I'm not trying to eek out the last 20 fps of velocity.

As Grendel owners we know that magazine and feeding is not 5.56 reliable. We tweak and break in our magazines.

Dino's point is well made; there are a lot of questions to be asked of the guy who's breaking a lot of bolts and clogging his gas tube.

EDIT: I just went and read the article from which the excerpt is taken. Sounds like the 6 MAX is the solution to all of his problems. It looks like a step backwards to me.
      Last edited by biodsl; 11-02-2023, 10:14 PM.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

I don't have 6 ARC by was intrigued by the query and so did some googling. Apparently, others are noticing carbon fouling issues, not everyone, but some in the gas tube as well.

So, quick run down on the relevant parts of my setup: - 14.5 inch Proof 6mm ARC Barrel, Intermediate Length Gas - Superlative Arms bleed off gas block, 16 clicks (in bleed off) to run both suppressed and unsuppressed. - Noveske Marked RCA BCG - Geissele Super42 with H2 Weight Gun is 100%...
        Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 11-09-2023, 12:53 PM.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Aside from it looking like he's promoting/shilling his 6 max, IMO he gives away his real problem:

"Once I had developed my fundamentals, the idea that I could achieve more, faster, became attractive."

Seems to me he is a natural-born hot-rodder/push it to the max/ or over. Why not do it more, faster...??? BECAUSE YOU BREAK THINGS THAT'S WHY!!!!!

My bet is he's essentially trying to make his 6 Arc into a 6 Creedmoor.

I can say that, as mod on the 6 Arc forum, no one has reported or even suggested anything like a gas tube lock-up. Dino summed it up well.

The only gas tube (seeming) "failure" I had was actually a GB that slipped forward, blocking the port and causing leak-off back at the carrier key, and that was a 556. Not the gun's fault, but mine for not securing the GB set screws properly. Found, fixed, running great now.

Edit to add: another guess, but I'll bet he also is falling prey to the "look for swipes, if none then you can push it faster" crowd, basically ignoring that as a mid-pressure cartridge, the typical over-pressure signs for the grendel or 6 Arc are way above Saami max. He didn't "see" any swipes so must not be at or above max pressure yet... not a good way to treat your equipment. My first Eng when in the Nav (nukes by the way) wrote and stressed in his Eng standing orders book, never to stress/over-stress equipment, ie, unless the Russians are shooting at you sort of thing. Stuck with me ever since. Especially b/c more than once, the russkies were in our neighborhood and quiet was much better than fast.
          Last edited by grayfox; 11-03-2023, 01:47 AM.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dino11 View Post
            I have probably put over 10,000 rounds down range since the release of the platform. One rifle has seen 4000+, rounds through it. Not once has my gas tube clogged on any of the gas guns. What powder are you using, and what load are you loading them with? These two items might help answer your question.

I have never broken a bolt or extractor either, but I never load to or above max load. I find that best accuracy SD and ES are a little below max, and their is no reason to load max with these Secant profiled bullets, they carry their velocity very well down range. So no need to try and hot rod them to shoot farther or get them to open up upon impact on game.

Load information will help answer your question, also what gas block are you using?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
              I don't have 6 ARC by was intrigued by the query and so did some googling. Apparently, others are noticing carbon fouling issues, everyone, but some in the gas tube as well.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...dirty.7129659/
              Why would that be? Best guess ive got , I suppose the smaller diameter the bore, the slower the powder specified (delta vol increase as bullet travels is smaller, compared to Grendel, so best run with a powder that gives a slower rate of new gas generation). And it's a low pressure round - so.. slow powder plus low pressure I guess means incomplete burn and sooty? Beats me - that's the best I've got. As to the breakage - I read that as him hot rodding the load. I'd love to know his powder and load. And whose bolt he is running.
              4x P100

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

And it's a low pressure round - so.
                If low pressure is attained by reduced fuel, that is okay. If low pressure is attained by incomplete combustion, then the result can be a sooty mess and so maybe that is where some folks are having issues?
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

carbon fouled gas tube after 500 rounds sounds like his rifle is a POS and he needs to re-evaluate the benefits of the lighter spring, choked gas tube, and garbage ammo he is trying to let off at a high rate.

"competition" means a lot of things... with "high rate of fire" this leads me to believe the guy aimed for a tacticool setup rather than a functional one. if dude is breaking bolts, extractors, plugging gas tubes... no need to look further other than his setup is complete dog sh*t and does not represent a typical, functional setup.

Race cars need work after every race, race guns do too. Guy should get with the program and stop complaining and just accept the fact that to be competitive, it requires a lot of work before and after a match.
                  Last edited by Zeneffect; 11-03-2023, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                    carbon fouled gas tube after 500 rounds sounds like his rifle is a POS and he needs to re-evaluate the benefits of the lighter spring, choked gas tube, and garbage ammo he is trying to let off at a high rate.

"competition" means a lot of things... with "high rate of fire" this leads me to believe the guy aimed for a tacticool setup rather than a functional one. if dude is breaking bolts, extractors, plugging gas tubes... no need to look further other than his setup is complete dog sh*t and does not represent a typical, functional setup.

Race cars need work after every race, race guns do too. Guy should get with the program and stop complaining and just accept the fact that to be competitive, it requires a lot of work before and after a match.
                    ZE:

You got that right about the maintenance needed to keep a truly competitive firearm functioning perfectly for every shot in competition.

The bolt lugs shearing sounds more like he is repeating things that we witnessed fifteen years ago and have since then been corrected pretty well.

I will say this about the 6mm though. You need to keep the thing cleaner than you would a Grendel, 5.56, or a 7.62. That means cleaning it and inspecting for worn parts on the bolt after each match and practice. Not a big deal and you are spending the time to make sure the rifle performs at its peak potential.

LR-55

Comment

• Highbrow
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2019

I compete with a 6mmAR. Current Bartlein barrel has over 3500 rounds. Broke an extractor before 1000 rounds but no other issues. Continues to be accurate at 600 yards. Only use Varget and moly bullets. Never crossed my mind to look at the gas tube. Gets cleaned after every weekend match.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

I had my 6 ARC go down on me in a practical match Saturday. Bolt wouldn't lock down on a chambered round. The day was over for me and the 2 hour ride home was long. Upon inspection when I got home, the extractor spring had basically failed (maybe kinked a little) and the extractor wouldn't slide up and over the rim on a magazine fed round. A 16" ARC with MLGS takes a lot of extractor abuse. The match is probably as abusive as what these guys do (I've been looking into it and it looks like a lot of fun!) - 2 stages prior to the failure 7 rounds went downrange in 11.09 seconds and 10 to 20 will often go downrange in under 90 seconds. I'm probably going to swap out the extractor and spring every thousand rounds moving forward.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• grendelnubi
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

I have experienced an overwhelming sooty scenario with a 300 hamr using CFEBLK. Always attributed it to the powder.

My first indication of a problem was slam fires. I would clean my bcg and continue on so I know that was the issue. It got to where I would have to clean after every use, so I sold the barrel and built another Grendel.

Comment

Working...
                          X