• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob R
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2023

22 ARC 75 ELD-M Factory Ammunition Velocity

As far as I know this is the first Chronograph Results for the 22 ARC 75 Grain ELD-M Ammunition fired through a 20 Inch Barrel AR15.

I have been waiting for a nice day to Chronograph for Two Weeks. My old school Chronograph with Sky Screens needs a nice day to work.
    Old School was replaced with the latest and greatest today.
    This morning I loaded up the 22 ARC and made a trip to Hunts Long Range Gun Shop near Summersville MO. Along with the 22 ARC AR15 I brought a box of Unobtanium. Hornady 22 ARC Black 75 gr ELD Match #81541 Ammunition.

The AR 15 used has a new 20" (H-Bar Profile ?) Saturn/Liberty Barrel.

Weather Conditions: Very High Humidity, Fog, Misting Rain, and High 30's.
    Chronograph Used: Garman Xero C1
    Temperature: 65 Degrees. (Firing was done from indoors)
    Ammunition Temperature: 65 Degrees
    Ammunition Tested: Hornady 22 ARC Black 75 Grain ELD-Match #81541
    Hornady Advertised Velocity (24" Test Barrel): 3075 FPS

GARMAN Xero C1 Chronograph Results
    Average Velocity (3 Shots): 2949 FPS
    Standard Deviation: 4.8 FPS

Actual 20" Velocity was 126 FPS slower than the 24" Advertised Velocity.

Actual Velocity was Dead On with my Predicted Velocity based on the following.
    The Shooters Note Book Velocity Corrector Estimated the Velocity for the 20" Barrel to be 2983 FPS. The Corrector predicted a lose of 92 FPS for the loss of four Inches of barrel. I had Estimated an additional loss of 33 FPS for the Gas Operated Action, and the fact I never get the advertised factory velocity on any ammunition. My Log Book Drop Chart was based off my estimated velocity of 2950 fps. My Estimate was way closer than I would have bet on.

I am going to need to save up and get a Garman Xero C1 Chronograph. The new Garman has pretty much kicked all other chronographs to the curb. The only down side is the $600 Price Tag. The Garman is so good that I am sure I will buy one.

Hoping to get my hands on a couple box's of 62 ELD-VT ammunition to try next. I would settle for 88 ELD-M ammunition if I find it first. More to come if I come up with any 62's or 88 to test.

Bob R
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

I think it would depend on barrel twist rate & bullet construction. Some varmint bullets will self-destruct if spun too fast.
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• Bevo
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Still waiting on a couple parts for my upper, but this is encouraging. Ultimately, I think I'll be shooting the 62gr ELD-VT but I have some 77gr TMKs that I'm going to load.

Thinking I should be around 3000 fps from a 22" barrel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

The best wts. that I have tested in the Gmx is 85 -105 gr. RL 7 was used in the 85gmx, I hit 3095 easily. A 76 grn. hit 3216. The need for speed is there.

2.4 yrs. ago, mseric & I popped a 91 grn. Gmx thru h2o jugs, we added a few extra gallon jugs=we could not stop that one. We found 1 petal.
            Lightweight Hunting Bullets
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

You will not see the same speeds from the 6mm or .224 bores with the same bullet weights due to reduced bore volume and resistance to projectile acceleration.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X