• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Just took the 22 ARC plunge

I've been waiting for the 22" Proof Research 22 ARC steel barrels to show up at Brownells and they finally did this morning. I can't say I was very interested in 22 ARC at first since I couldn't see how it could be that different from 224 Valkyrie - until I saw Hodgdon's load data and the plethora of powders that can be used. When I saw that you can do a 85.5 Berger Long Range Hybrid at around 2800 fps using H4350, my interest went from "yeah, whatever" to "I want one!". To put this potential performance in perspective, I shoot a 22" 6.5 CM gas gun for PRS using a 123 grain Scenar with H4350 at 2800. The G7 of the 85.5 Berger is actually a tad better than the 123 Scenar at .268 vs .264. So the same ballistic performance using the same top powder with what will essentially have about 2/3 of the recoil. Or flip the equation, and the 6.5 CM will have 50% more recoil than the 22 ARC. I was sure to order from Brownells due to their forever warranty. If it ends up being 224 Valkyrie Part 2, they can have it back. The Berger 85.5s are also a bullet that is readily available for whatever reason.

Ordered a bushing and a button so I can use the Redding Grendel Bushing Die that I had been using for 243 LBC for sizing. I have 300 pieces of Nosler Grendel brass that I necked down to 243 for one firing before my 243 LBC barrel checked out at 6K, so I can start with that. The only thing I'll need is a seating die so I'll have to wait for either the Hornady 22 ARC or Universal 22 cal die to pop up. Stay tuned!
    Let's go Brandon!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

A friend built a Wildcat 224 Grendel and really likes it for varmints and target shooting. Now that Hornady has released the 22 ARC it has my attention. I already have a good supply of .224 bullets and powder. If Starline releases 22 ARC brass or Hornady 22 ARC brass hits the market I might take the plunge. The 22 ARC will use a lot less powder than the 6.5 Creedmoor and .224 bullets tend to be cheaper than 6.5/.264 bullets.

keep us posted I’m really curious how you will like the 22 ARC.

Comment

• Bevo
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

I emailed Starline earlier in the week about them making brass for 22 ARC. This was their response:

We are very limited in new product development due to the volume of orders for most of our production lines at this time. Once things slow down a little bit, we will consider adding new calibers to our lineup, although this is not a caliber we are currently considering. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Comment

• Bevo
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

I have a 20" Craddock on order and have been messing with a 22" Rainier Ultramatch. Lots of potential in this cartridge. Very little recoil.

PSA: Don't buy the Hornady sizing die. Not enough neck tension. Loaded factory rounds are measuring at .249 and the hornady die is only sizing them to about .248.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

VASCAR, the thing is that with the powder, the Varget/LVR range is around the slowest that Hodgdon published and then they go down to H4350 range. Makes sense with the amount of powder getting burned and the bore diameter. Most of the guys having success with 22 Creedmoor are using magnum powders in the Retumbo/Superformance range - slower burning than what you'd use in 6.5 CM or 6 CM. One of the reasons given for the "failure" of 224 Valkyrie is that it is picky to load for and has small load windows - I wonder if that's because no one thought outside of the box and used slower burning powders. I've only looked at Hodgdon's Valkyrie data, but most of it uses the usual 223 Rem powders . 224 bullets are also not just cheaper, they're available. One of the reasons I held off on a long 6 ARC barrel is because the super sexy precision bullets are rarely available and when they do pop up, they sell out in a flash (with the Berger 6mm 109 long range hybrids going for 60 cents a pop).

22 ARC brass could easily be made from 6.5 Grendel brass and will be easier than making 6 ARC from Grendel brass since there won't be the 0.03" to trim after the shoulder bump. I probably made over 1k of 243 LBC from both Grendel and 7.62x39 brass and have made 900 6 ARC pieces from Starline Grendel brass, so taking it down to 22 will just be a normal session at the bench for me.

Thanks Bevo - I'm not a big fan of Hornady's rifle sizing dies so I'm hopefully going to be set with what I've ordered for my Redding Grendel bushing die. Have you played with any heavies or with slower powders in the Rainier?
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I know it is easy to size 6.5 Grendel to 22 ARC but I’d just rather have another source for brass. I’d like a different head stamp for 22 ARC but I guess since I haven’t used any Starline in 6.5 Grendel I could use it in 22 ARC. The only brass I’ve used in 6.5 Grendel is Hornady, Lapua, PPU and mixed FF 7.62x39.

I’m more interested in the 22 ARC as a varmint and shorter range target cartridge. My opportunities for shooting long range are getting more infrequent.

The draw of the 22 ARC is I already have bullets, primers and powder. I also have 200 new Hornady cases I could size to 22 ARC. I’d just need a barrel and dies. The 22 ARC is a decent step up in performance from 223 Remington and is close to 22-250 performance in an AR-15.

Comment

• Bevo
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              Thanks Bevo - I'm not a big fan of Hornady's rifle sizing dies so I'm hopefully going to be set with what I've ordered for my Redding Grendel bushing die. Have you played with any heavies or with slower powders in the Rainier?
              I shot factory 88s out of it just for the brass. Not sure I even chrono'd them. Not interested in shooting heavies in 22 ARC since it would more or less duplicate what I shoot from my 20" Grendel, which is 90gr at 2900 fps.

Wanting to get the 62gr ELD-VT to group well over 3250 fps for coyote and other small varmint work. Probably settle on CFE223 for that but my first tests had pretty big SDs and groups over 1 MOA. I believe some decent brass with the right neck tension should improve that though.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Shipping from Brownells always seem to be a bit of an adventure these days (they should really spend more time in the warehouse rather than sending so many emails), but everything has arrived and barrel has been installed. Made a few pieces of brass at SAAMI minimum from some 6x Hornady 6.5 Grendel for initial break in and to get headspace measurements. Taking them to .243 is definitely a requirement before going all of the way down to .224! I only crushed one piece before figuring that out.

I loaded up ten 77 gr NCCs with a relatively mild charge of 26.0 grains of TAC for the initial break-in and hope to get to them Thursday.

My intrigue level has increased. This is the 85.5 Berger at a 2.26 mag length in a dummy round:

85 at Mag length.jpg

Almost perfect shank fit and minimal case intrusion. The dummy placed in the chamber came out clean after I locked down the bolt. I can't seem to find the picture I took a few weeks ago of the max charge of 29.5 gr of H4350 which would get it in the 2800 fps realm, but with a drop tube it came very slightly above the shoulder/body junction so compression should be very minimal. My shoulder really likes the next picture, which is the 85.5 dummy next to a 6.5 CM round left over from my last PRS match. It's a 123 Scenar with 40.8 grains of H4350 which is doing 2775 fps. The G7 of the 85.5 at .268 is slightly better than the Litz G7 of the Scenar I've been using at .265, so ballistics should be practically identical.

22ARC vs 65CM.jpg

The reduced recoil should go a long way towards both helping spot misses and see where hits are hitting, along with reducing the magnification of errors in form when the trigger breaks. Provided it works!

22 ARC modified cases just popped up at Midsouth so I should certainly have it by the time I've finished with 2 break in sessions and I'm ready to start playing with the 85.5s....
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

I'm tempted to rant since my recent experiences with the industry have been far from good, but instead will seek confirmation from those of you who happen to stroll through this thread in the next day or two.

This is the SAMMI specs:

22 ARC SAMMI.pdf

My loaded rounds measure 0.251" at the neck. I interpret the diagram to mean that maximum width at the neck is 0.253". So my ammo should be fine (necked down Hornady and Nosler Grendel brass and the Berger 85.5s).

My fired brass measures 0.252" at the neck. I interpret the diagram to mean that minimum neck chamber width is 0.254". Unless I'm getting senile, the necks of my fired brass should measure 0.254" at minimum.

Yeah, there's likely a little bit of instrument error using a caliper, but the Berger 85.5's consistently measure .2235". So maybe the caliper measures .0005" short. And that bullet will not slip into my fired brass. I would need to seat it using my press.

Conclusion: Out of spec chamber. Poor accuracy and velocity variation are crap due to inconsistent bullet release. Right?

Glad I bought from Brownells with their warranty, Trying to decide if I should call Proof or Brownells first. Chances are if it was a bad or worn reamer, mine isn't the only one. Chances are that if I exchange it though Brownells, I'll get one cut with the same reamer.

On a positive note, it shoots like a pussycat. If it can be made to work.....
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                  X