20 Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Grendel

I'm getting 3100 ft/sec with this 55 gr .204 bullet out a 20" barrel at about 50,000 psi in my Savage bolt gun.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2013, 02:23 AM.
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Thought you might get a little more from the Grendel case as I am getting 3700 from my 20 VarTarg with 21 in barrel on my Rem XR 100. Dont know the pressure but multiple reloads from Rem 221 brass with 19.2gn 4198 and the 35gn Berger show no signs of loosening up so pressure is exceptable. This is my skite group.

But this is expected.

And my short range load is the 34gn Nosler SHOTS bullet with Blue Dot for 2700fps. With the 35gn Berger zeroed at 200yds, this is on at 125yds and good for out to about 200 where the berger takes over.
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 03-19-2013, 02:35 AM.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Those are impressive groups!

I'm thinking that the 55 or 60 grain bullets might do well on largish varmints and goats out to respectable distances, so am willing to accept the velocities that come with the longer bullets.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2013, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

I have taken a few goats with the 35 gn Berger. Accuracy and the slightly harder Berger does wonders on the bleaters, but I have only taken them to a couple of hundred yds.
        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

That is encouraging!

The larger bullets might be OK for larger animals or longer ranges.

Comment

Drift and Drop Comparisons:

The comparisons here all have velocities expected for 20-inch barrels. Bullets are Sierra MatchKings except for the .20 Grendel, which is modeled with the Berger 55gr BTHP. To be sure, a long range competitor with the .308 Winchester or especially the 300 Winchester Magnum will use a 26-inch or longer target barrel to get as much velocity as practicable. But then, so would someone contemplating the the 20 Grendel for long range competitive target shooting with an AR or bolt gun. The principal focus here is on long-range varmint hunting with potential competitive shooting as a secondary possibility.

Comment

Very interesting. Sold my 204 Ruger AR, but this should out perform it by a lot.

Comment

Especially in the heavier bullets. Those 55 gr Bergers or 55 & 60 gr BlackHole Diamond Tips should be good long range Coyote medicine.

Comment

• Smudge!
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2022

I had a reemer made by pacific tool for 20 Grendel.
                  Had two uppers built by Bart Baldwin, Gibbz side charge receivers.
                  One barrel is 1:8 twist, 24"
                  Other barrel is 1:12 twist, 24"
                  Have just started load development and fire forming brass.
                  Shooting 55gr Bergers in the 1:8 and shooting 32 Hornady, 35 Bergers, 39 sierra's 40 gr Bergers in the 1:12.
                  So far no feeding issues, none!!!
                  So far really impressed with the groups.
                  The 55 Bergers are not going to be screeners, 3100fps or so.
                  The 32's, hahaha wow, so far just bouncing around 3600fps, but with no pressure signs and lots of case capacity left to go.
                  Powders so far tested, H4350 N140 with 55 gr Bergers
                  N135 with the 32's, going next to N530 with the 32's.
                  I have the reemer spec's and will post at some point when I have time.
                  I will post more later, just wanted to get started on this thread.
                  Thanks
                  Smudge

Comment

Working...
                  X