Grendel II Accuracy and preferred loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grendel II Accuracy and preferred loads

As long as it is OK with the Mods, it would seem a reasonable idea to begin putting this info into a single location.* Hopefully, this will prevent the need for plowing through long threads that are largely about something else in order to find pertinent information.

As of early 2014, there is a lot of speculation about the performance of "Grendel II" chambers, some of which come with new barrels, others from the modification or "scraping" of existing ones.

Please include information about the barrel, including the manufacturer or similar info (like "Stoner"), type of chamber, whether is was sent out for modification.

Hopefully, it will be useful to get enough information to help owners of these barrels choose which factory loads are most likely to provide the best accuracy.** If it is discovered that these Grendel II barrels perform well with the same loads as the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI-spec ones, so much the better.

I hope that one of the Moderators will step in and let us know if this thread should include reloading info. WARNING: DO NOT EXCEED THE PARAMETERS OF LOADS TESTED AND PROVIDED IN RELOADING GUIDES OR BY MANUFACTURERS. Damaging your weapon or yourself can ruin your day and/or result in soiled underwear.

* This thread might be considered part of the 6.5 Grendel Ammunition and Reloading section, but we don't know yet if the Grendel II prefers certain bullets or factory loads.

** Of course not all barrels prefer the same loads, but this would be a place to start.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM. Reason: clarity
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Moved chamber discussion to here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=Grendel+II AR-Stoner Barrel and Bolt AR-15 6.5 Grendel (Grendel II Chamber) Medium Contour 1 in 8" Twist 18" Stainless Steel

Comment

I grabbed this information from another thread. Hoping to see more.

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post

There has been data posted. I posted my results the week after I had my throat scraped. I had pressure sings at 31.4 grains of CFE with the 123 SST bullet. After scraping I was able to go up to 31.9 before in had any pressure signs. Same seating depth. The velocity had very little change. I settled on 31.2 grains of CFE and shrunk my groups from .516 to .388. So the results are in.

I'm not a fan of the new chamber but stating that the results will speak for themselves has already been proven awhile ago.

Would I ordered a Grendel II? No, I will stick the the normal Grendel. Am I upset, I was until they fixed it and now I'm a happy camper.

Comment

• waveslayer
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

that looks like my thread... LOL glad to see my work being published

Comment

Working...
        X