• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

264LBC Max OAL and Accuracy Comparison

If y'all with the 264LBC chambers wouldn't mind sharing your measured max OAL/ method of measurement and any comparison in accuracy from the 123gr AMAX/SST/SMK to other bullets like the scenars, I'd appreciate it.

The fraud Constructor is going around spewing his garbage and have the nerve (on another forum) to try and intimidate me through a PM.

I'm just trying to get a source for real world data to provide clear indisputable facts.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

He sent me a threatening PM here before we banned him, saying he could make things very difficult for HANKA, bwaites, me and Bill Alexander, as if there was some type of professional connection between us all, which didn't make any sense. Save the PM screenshot, as all my PM's were conveniently wiped out with the last attack.

I didn't even know where he was coming from with it, as I had not mentioned him in any of the discussions I could think of. It's very unpredictable behavior, and the threats seem to be followed with real attacks on the forum.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Adam Lilja
      Warrior
      • Dec 2013

On the hide?

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Adam - the exchange appeared over at M4carbine. The mod there hosed them down for pulling an Oprah. Pretty much the same thing I've seen from woohoo/constructor, whenever he wants to thump his chest.

Cory,

In May, this year, I measured my BHW 264LBC for COAL for the 123 gr Amax. The barrel had 980 rounds through it, at the time.

Using the Sinclair tool, I came up with 2.272" COAL. My Hornady LNL comparator gave me 2.277" COAL. I suspect the extra .005" has to do with the use of the Hornady special case, coupled with the light "seating tap" I applied when pushing the bullet into position.

ETA: Since it is the only pill this barrel has ever shot, I can't offer any accuracy comparisons, but I've posted a few examples of what it can do. On average, it will give me .5 to .75 MOA. When I avoid coffee and donuts, it will drill it.
        Last edited by NugginFutz; 10-08-2014, 08:22 PM.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• rickOshay
          Warrior
          • Apr 2012

Nuggin - Your data is very close to what I measure in my new Lilja 18" for the AMAX - 2.273". What do you get for COAL using the Hornady LNL and the 123 SST?

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
            Nuggin - Your data is very close to what I measure in my new Lilja 18" for the AMAX - 2.273". What do you get for COAL using the Hornady LNL and the 123 SST?
            Regrettably, the 123 SST's I had were traded to someone in desperate need for their upcoming hunt before I thought to measure. I have some factory loads, though. Given some more time, I can pull one and see.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
              The fraud Constructor is going around spewing his garbage and have the nerve (on another forum) to try and intimidate me through a PM.

I'm just trying to get a source for real world data to provide clear indisputable facts.
              A bit sad... the original poster never got a reasonable answer before the food throwing started. Was completely silly, especially given M4C is focused on hard use carbines, not bench guns.

This is why we (grendel shooters) can't have nice things. Someone asks about Grendel, and a firefight quoting 7 year old history erupts over nuances that only someone wanting to sell custom barrels/reamers would care about.

At least we now know that Constructor makes $170k a year, and Atlanta would fall down if it was not for his insight. :-) (I'm guessing he's an ME???)
              Last edited by pinzgauer; 10-29-2014, 03:43 PM. Reason: Deleted link as it was not contributing

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Well it was over at m4carbine, but he's jumped over to the hide. He's like a child screaming at the top of his lungs for a little attention. He has some serious little man issues. Check out these PM he sent me over at the hide.

Originally posted by Constructor
                That thread you just started on the grendel forum. Both of you are complete ******* idiots.
                I've already proved Paul is a lying *****. Wind it up ***** lets play
                I did clean it up a bit. Some of that isn't appropriate here.

If this guy only knew the entertainment he's providing. I can't help but sit here and laugh at him.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

I hate that this cartridge can't be mentioned without a mud slinging contest. It really puts a black eye on the cartridge.

Comment

• jurassic
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bigbear_98 View Post
                    I hate that this cartridge can't be mentioned without a mud slinging contest. It really puts a black eye on the cartridge.
                    I totally agree.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                      A bit sad... the original poster never got a reasonable answer before the food throwing started. Was completely silly, especially given M4C is focused on hard use carbines, not bench guns.

This is why we (grendel shooters) can't have nice things. Someone asks about Grendel, and a firefight quoting 7 year old history erupts over nuances that only someone wanting to sell custom barrels/reamers would care about.

At least we now know that Constructor makes $170k a year, and Atlanta would fall down if it was not for his insight. :-) (I'm guessing he's an ME???)

Here's the link if anyone wants a painful read:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....-upgrade-build
                      Firefight -- Very nicely captures the underlying issue. Someone's ego was bruised because he did not understand the design parameters stated for the Grendel and did not have the honor to accept being wrong.

I saw his post about bridges and buildings falling. I think that would suggest a Civil Engineer's training. Again, few people care about the nuances (see above) but there is a rather significant gulf between the mindset of CEs and MEs. The gulf is even greater (in attitude at least) between both of them and other hard sciences like physics and chemistry. In truth, all of these specialties have a range of folks running from the genuinely curious and mentally flexible to those who know only one way of doing things.

How do I know this? I was trained in college as an ME but spent my entire career (8 years in the AF notwithstanding) in a multi-discipline research and advanced development environment.
                      Last edited by JASmith; 10-10-2014, 02:35 PM.
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
                        Well, this weekend I pulled one of the SST's from a factory cartridge and measured COAL for my 264LBC from BHW. I also re-measured the Amax, so the readings would be apples to apples, in terms of round count. After an additional 900 rounds down the pipe, the Amax now measures 2.303" COAL, with the SST coming in at 2.307", as measured with the LNL comparator. I only measured the one SST, whereas I averaged three different Amax's.

If I extrapolate the data backwards to the 980 round count, the SST would have measured ~2.276", compared to the Amax's 2.272".

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

With the Stoney Point/LNL gauges, keep in mind that it's very easy to not get a full seat into the chamber like we do with a full bolt cycle into battery.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            With the Stoney Point/LNL gauges, keep in mind that it's very easy to not get a full seat into the chamber like we do with a full bolt cycle into battery.
                            Are you referring to the brass or the bullet? So are you saying that the actual Max OAL is really longer or shorter?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
                              Are you referring to the brass or the bullet? So are you saying that the actual Max OAL is really longer or shorter?
                              The brass case does not seat the same way as it does when you slam the BCG forward on inertia. If you tap the brass part of the gauge into the chamber with a rod or dowel, then you can get a better reading. COL's will register a bit longer without an inertia seat. That is the main problem to overcome with the LNL gauge.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X