X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rainman
    Bloodstained
    • May 2015

I have two of the SWFA scopes and consider both long term keepers; 3-9 x HD and 3-15 x FFP. The 3-15 is now also available in SFP but at the same price as the FFP I would stick with the FFP (personal choice). Users have been pushing hard on SWFA to release a 3-15 with HD glass but so far no commitment from SWFA. I also consider my Burris XTR II 1.5-8 x a keeper along with my Weaver Tactical 3-15 x with illumination. All are good choices IMO. I have shot and looked through a number of Vortex Viper, HS and PST scopes and the optical quality above 10x is not pleasing to my eye or, IMO, in the same quality range as the SWFA 3-15,Burris XTR II or Weaver Tactical. However, I have been told some of the Vortex glass and/or coatings were updated in late 2015 (possibly as 2016 models) so these are worth looking into because the build quality, fit and finish of Vortex products seems top notch and is for sure with the Razor products. No experience with Nightforce and limited, but not satisfactory, experience with mid grade Bushnell products. Having looked through a hand held 3-21 x outside a storefront the optical quality was very impressive.

Comment

• Keep The Change
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

Thank you rainmaker for the input. The SWFA HD is at or near the top of my list.

Comment

• Keep The Change
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

Yesterday, I spent the day shopping for a scope at Cabelas and then I drove down south of the DFW are to the SWFA Shop. Here is what I thought of various scopes that I looked at.
        I looked at the Nightforce SHV line at Cabelas since SWFA doesn't sell NF scopes.

Nightforce SHV: I really liked the glass and the reticle. I compared it to the Vortex Viper PST side by side and as you think the glass was much better with the NF. For $1250 for the NF SHV 3-15x50 I think it is a great deal and the F1 model is their FFP version. Ideally I want more magnification but I was very close to buying it

Burris XTR II: The glass was very nice on this scope. I think it is very comparable to the NF SHV, SWFA HD(High Density) glass. I liked the reticle a lot and this scope is a great deal around $1100 and I think the illuminated version is the same price. The thing I didn't like was the turrets. They were very hard to turn and the ergonomics of the turret is a little sharp and digs into your fingers. I was very close to buying this as well.

Vortex Viper PST: I think a lot of people here know or have looked at this scope, but I think we all agree that it is a great deal and a lot of scope for the money. I was willing to go over $1000 on a scope and after looking through the SWFA HD, Burris XTR II, and NF SHV, I liked the glass quality of these better. But the PST has nice features and is a great deal.

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50: to me the glass on this is very good. The Burris XTR II, NF SHV and the SWFA HD looked similar. I couldn't say one was better than another. Maybe you if all 3 were on guns and I could look and adjust each one side by side I could find some difference. But holding them by hand and looking at a sign 200 yd away, I couldn't see differences. I really like the turrets on this one. Good ergonomics, snug but not too tight, and nice clicks. The shaft of the turrets are marked so you will know what number rotation you are on so you don't have to worry about keeping track of number of rotations you made. Also the ocular focuser has a lock ring on it, which is nice.

While at SWFA, you would think they would have their own brand scopes at the front of the store pushing them. But instead the front of the store was covered with Swarvoski, Leupolds, and Vortex lined up in front of the window for customers to look out of. The SWFA scopes were at the back of the store where the shelves were stocked with them and they had a demo of each laying on the shelf.

I directly compared a $3200 Swarvoski with the Burris and SWFA and I must say I didn't see a whole lot of difference in the glass quality. I certainly didn't see $2000 worth of difference. The same goes with a Leupold Mark 4 as well. I did look through a Mark 8 with a 56mm objective and I did see a jump in optics on that. It was very nice and that $4200.

What did I buy?

I went with the SWFA HD 5-20x50.
        Why?
        The quality of the turrets, locking ocular ajustment, feels really robust, great looking High Density glass and anybody I have ever talked to that has one, has nothing but great things to say about it and that it is solid. My only complaint is the Mil Quad reticle. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice recticle and looks great but my preference is to have numbered hashes with more fractional mil increments like the Burris XTR II or Vortex Viper PST.

But in the end all 4 I've mentioned are very nice scopes for the money and I don't think I could've gone wrong with any of them.
        Now I need a mount and then learn how to mount it.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Congrats on the new scope! I haven't looked thru a SWFA but like you have heard great things. I really don't dig the SWFA ret but, that's what's great we all have different taste. I've been looking for a scope for my sbr(grendel) and I think I'll get one of the new Burris XTR 1-8 scopes. When I find it instock at my distributer.
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
          X