• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neenjuh
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2015

A couple scope questions

Exhausted from reading the differing opinions on mil/mil vs moa/moa. I am mainly going to be using my scope for hunting, which should I go for?

Was leaning towards a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP, but really thinking about a 4x because of the hunting and still thinking I want the FFP due to the ease of not worrying about it being zoomed in for accurate read outs. I do want to reach out to 1,000 yards with this. With that said, opinions on the HST? Or just the HS? Thanks in advance.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

I do not like ffp for hunting. Next year I will remove my two ffp and use sfp during deer season.

In low light conditions the reticle is just too small. Zoom in and the reticle is bigger but I lose some visibility.

Otherwise I love my vortex scopes.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

I have a 6-24 vortex on my Grendel mostly cause i caught a deal on it and the grendel was without a scope at the moment for hunting it is way to much scope its usable turned down to 6 but i like around 4x for hunting as most shots happen inside of 100 and if the further than that i probably have time to turn the scope up, that said its a great scope but it is huge i have the sunshade on it almost as a novelty is practically bigger than the gun it really more of a target/varmint scope

as for 1000 yards unless you are planing on shooting groundhogs at that range you don't really need 24x its nice but you will be hard pressed to be wanting at 16x the 4-16x is a much more usable range for hunting

if cost isn't an option go for the s&b 3-27x
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• SSK shooter
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2015

I have a PST 6-24x50 ffp on my grendel and I love it. It is a target only gun and will never be used to hunt.As far as the mil or moa part of the question I would get what you are used to. I am used to moa myself but I will be at a disadvantage at a competition due to most target guys using mil. For hunting I agree with the others that 6 power is too much. On all my hunting guns 1 to 3 power is where my scopes start and hardly ever get turned up at all except for sighting in. I would recommend the 4-16 power range for what you are looking to do. 16 power is plenty to get most guys to 1000+ yards. Vortex hst and hs scopes are great options to save some money off the pst line. To save the money you will have to give up some features. If you don't need the illuminated reticle but want the target turrrets then the hst is a good thing. If you don't need illumination or target turrets then the hs is the way to go. Any vortex product carries the same warranty and excellent customer service.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

I also like SFP scopes for hunting and lower power on the low end. The longest shots I have made on game are a little over 500 yards and those were done with 3-9X40 scopes with standard plex reticles without the ability to dial up. Knew where to hold through lots of practice. For hunting inside 300 yards my favorite smaller scopes are 2X7s and on my longer range guns 2.5-15 Swaro Z6 and a Bushnell 6500 both have good repeatable dial turrets and SFP duplex reticles and are MOA. Another good one is for less $ is the Minox 3-15, doesn't have the dial turrets but sure is nice magnification range. For a long range scope with lots of bang for the buck look at the 3.5-21 Bushnell tactical. In a head to head review of some of the high end long range scopes it was in the middle and beat out many that cost lots more $.

MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA both systems have their good and bad and what is really bad are the manufactures that mix the two. MOA is more what we are used to in measuring, never have heard anyone brag about a MIL group even those that will only use a MIL/MIL scope. A MIL is one meter at 1000 meters. Which ever system you go with learn how to drive it and it makes things much easier.

FFP the reticle will change size as the power changes and with low end power that thing gets small to see during low light hunting and gets large to cover more of the target on high power. The main advantage is ranging and using the reticle for aiming it is the same between the stata lines throughout the power range. The thin look of the reticle is why I am not a fan of them on hunting rifles.

SFP the stata lines will only be the correct value at one power so that is the only setting that the lines are their advertised distance apart. On many scopes that is the highest magnification setting which works In many cases since that is usually used at long range where you want the extra magnification. One of those I have is 2.5-16 but the lines are on at 10X.

Sorry I kinda ran on but hope that helps and doesn't confuse

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

For hunting, I prefer something with as low of a magnification setting as possible, but still able to dial up to reasonable zoom for target work.

I like 2.5-10x Vortex scopes.

Here's how it shoots at 1000yds. The center forehead shot is mine. Then I put 6 more in the center of the plate, mixed in with other people shooting 6.5 Creedmoor from 24" + barrels with much bigger scopes than mine.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Holyfather12
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2016

I have the 6-24X50 FFP Viper PST scope on order right now through Vortex. Hopefully it will be in within the next month. Everything I have read on this scope is positive. I plan to use mine as a varmint/target rifle. As far as the reticle being to small in low light I figured I would just turn the lighted reticle feature since it had adjustable brightness settings. I am a fan of small reticles to begin with. I went with the MOA turrets since I am a little more familiar with this system rather than the MIL.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

I have the illuminated reticle on one of mine(the other is not illuminated), even on the lowest setting I find it washes the target out in very low light. It's usable, but I prefer a larger reticle not illuminated for hunting at dusk.

A situation where I did like the illumination was after sunrise hunting on a shaded abandoned railroad track. The illumination helped my eye pick up the reticle in the colorful background.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• rushmc1a
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

I also have the 2.5 by 10 Vortex PST
                  I love it

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

honestly on pure "hunting rifles" i actually really like fixed power scopes my ML has a fixed 2.5x scope, I'm a huge fan of the leupold m8-4x for most hunting guns as shots over 100m are few and far between, they are cheap, durable, simple, have excellent clarity and light transmission
                    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

If you want ffp look at the Burris 4-20x50 XTR Scr ret, Sig Optics 3-18 and there are others, but at the lowest power I'm not sure how good you can see the reticle and in low light.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 1911man
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

As you can see your getting alot of different opinions here. I would say trust your gut and go with what you think is best. Everyone is going to have their own preferences. I have a 4-16 HST SFP on my Grendel and I think its perfect for long range plinking and hunting where I hunt. My blind is only 75 yards away from my feeder and I have plenty of field of view at 4x. I have spent the last 5-6 years hunting with a fixed 10x scope which I would make shots as close at 75 yards and as far as 600 yards with no problems. i wouldnt hesitate to put a 4-16 HST on any of my multi purpose rifles but again it all comes down to preference.

Comment

• neenjuh
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2015

Thank you to everyone for the information. I truly appreciate the input. Going to see if I can find someone local that has a FFP and go from there. Thanks again!

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

I love both my FFP Vortex scopes (one HS-LR and one PST, both 6-24 x 50), but that said, the lines are VERY thin for targets at less than 300 yards. My use is target shooting and long range prairie dog shooting, so they are great for MY USE, but if you are going to be hunting game at distances less than 300 yards, I agree with other posters, that a lower magnification SFP scope might better suit YOUR needs.
                            Last edited by Savage Shooter; 03-05-2016, 11:06 PM.
                            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

Working...
                            X