• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maplebacon
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2016

Mega Arms Wedge Block thoughts

Finally got my build all together. Since I was using the Mega side charging billet (no clearance for the anti rotation tabs of some handguards) I ended up choosing the Mega Wedge Block handguard. It was simply the most compatible with the SCH billet upper.

First let me say that it is a very strong design and mounting. The guard is comfortable in the hand, and while heavier than some, it is not enough to be a deal breaker. NOT the cheapest handguard out there. Finish matches the billet upper receiver well.

My insights post-build:

1. If using an HBAR, do not expect to use any of the m-lok spots behind the gas block. My QR sling mount is all the way on the end now as its screws were contacting the barrel before even tightening. NOTE: THIS MAY BE A MAGPUL ISSUE AS I HAVE NOT TRIED ANY OTHERS AND CANNOT COMPARE. Too slim a guard to work with a heavy barrel in this respect. Would have welcomed incorporated QRs at the rear of the guard as some other companies have done. I do not plan to use a bipod, so am not concerned with that aspect.

2. Clamp-On gas blocks are a non starter. While lo-pro blocks will fit on top, the clamp area is too wide and the screw heads are an issue. Set screw lo-pro locks may work, and some may need some dremmel action to clear everything. My SLR fits on the bottom, but I had to (and may have to do more depending on barrel flex.) make a little breathing space for the side spring retention screw. Non-adjustable set screw versions are probably fine. Tolerances are tight inside the guard, so one does not have much breathing room for a canted block.

Edit: One can always utilize one of the shorter handguards with the gas block uncovered. This build is a rifle length HBAR and 16" handguard.

3. Was nice to not have to worry about getting the barrel nut aligned with the gas tube and simply focus on torque. However the design of the included wrench is REALLY unforgiving, and be prepared to do some first aid to the nut and wrench afterward. I slipped once and that metal is way too soft for a slip like that. Good luck getting a good mate between the two after that happens. Read: pipe wrench to loosen it each time. If were doing a modification for the design, I would have the slots on the nut deeper, and end in a T, which would lock the wrench in place when torquing.

4. The indexing pin lined up perfectly with the receiver. Nice anti rotation design.

5. Minor thing, but I kind of wish the angles of the receiver were the same as the handguard. Purely cosmetic (and may very well match better with the non billet URs)

All told with no scope, mount, unloaded and with 1 17-round mag: 8.9 pounds. I can live with that.
    Last edited by Maplebacon; 03-12-2016, 06:06 PM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Thank you for that write up Sir very good info.

Comment

• Maplebacon
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2016

Quite welcome. I really wish I had this info prior to ordering parts for the build.

HBAR clearance

M-LOK clearance at muzzle end
      Last edited by Maplebacon; 03-12-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Great pics sir.

? does that gaurd have a flat surface area on the bottom.

Comment

• Maplebacon
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2016

Yes.

Comment

Working...
          X