• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank45
    Warrior
    • Mar 2016

Case suggestions

This is kind of a dumb question but I have always just used the cheap $20 hard cases and need to upgrade. My 20" 5.56 won't fit in them and when I get my grendel put together it certainly won't and I'd like to take care of it. I'm thinking hard case but if there are good soft cases I wouldn't rule them out as I don't plan on flying with them. I'd rather not spend $500 but I don't want to let an expensive gun get beat up either. Ideally if I am going to spend over $100 I would like a 2 gun case. I just need to stop wrapping guns in a towel and throwing them in the back seat. What do you use? Any brands to look at or stay away from? Thanks.
  • Vasux86
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

I've been really happy with a Drago Gear case that I got for under $100. They have two-gun cases you might want to look at. The cases are padded, so even though it's a softcase the rifle is protected.

Comment

• Vasux86
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

And the link- http://www.dragogear.com/

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

How important is Made in USA to you?

A lot of the imported chidura cases just fall apart. The material is weak, the stitches rip out, sections of the pattern are not fully retained with enough stand-off when sewn inside-out when they do the flat work, so they just pull apart, and the "hardware" is cheap acetyl that fractures under load or in the cold. The imitation zippers are garbage, and the pulls rip off them easily.

For a single case, you can get US made Allen cases ideal for AR15s at Sportsman's for under $40.

For a double case Made in the USA from quality materials, the Tactical Tailor has some great ones. The $36 Covert will run you $221.

Tactical Tailor is a manufacturer of the highest quality, combat proven tactical nylon products. Using innovation to provide the most up to date gear for any application. Our production facility houses state of the art equipment, and expert staff that develop and manufacture the finest American made gear.

Tactical Tailor is a manufacturer of the highest quality, combat proven tactical nylon products. Using innovation to provide the most up to date gear for any application. Our production facility houses state of the art equipment, and expert staff that develop and manufacture the finest American made gear.

Armageddon Gear has singles for $109.95

I personally like single cases as they are easier to carry and manage in and out of the car. Pretty much all of my rifles have carbine stocks on them now, so I can fit easily in the Allen or other AR15 cases.

A 20" AR15 with a telescoping stock will fit inside a 36" case. With a fixed rifle stock, you need a 42" case.
        Last edited by LRRPF52; 04-05-2016, 04:34 AM.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lawndartmike
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2015

I liked the first one so much that I bought a second: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/834...ons-rifle-case

Plenty of padding and room for ears, cleaning stuff, a couple of pistols, etc.

Comment

• Frank45
            Warrior
            • Mar 2016

Thanks for the ideas guys. I knew this was the right place to ask. Made i the USA is pretty important to me as I don't want it to fall apart in a year. I like the look of the tacticaltailor cases too. I like how they are at least trying to avoid the tacticool look and not bring attention to them.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

So far this one is doing well. Like the case but is single gun. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...cal-rifle-case

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

The Midway ones are imported, with all the failure points I mentioned. I have one sitting in my shop right now from a friend with side panel torn out, zipper pull broken off, cheap acetyl hardware, etc.

It's the sniper drag bag copied off the US Made and designed Eagle Sniper Drag Bag, which was bomb proof. They were sold for about $229 back when they were available, before all the $89 Chidura knock-offs hit the market and killed them off.

Try finding a real Eagle Industries drag bag now.

Blackhawk knocked them off first, making them in Virginia Beach, then moved manufacturing over to Vietnam after Clinton lifted the embargo on Vietnam (due to major human rights violations that happen there to the indigenous peoples and former South Vietnamese who got absorbed after the fall of Saigon).

Now China knocks off the Blackhawk knock-offs of Eagle, with the garbage materials and terrible construction, and people here seem to be content to buy them up for $89 per bag.

Companies like Condor bring that garbage in, and sell it by the boat load. If you ever see the Condor mag pouches with shock cord retention, the cord will bugger up and lose the elasticity without even being used ever.

I've been collecting, modifying, designing, and building military gear since the 1980s. My advice is to buy American when it comes to range bags and rifle bags.

Watch this video before making your next purchase when it comes to sewn goods:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Daveyboy
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2016

I just got one of these and love it! On sale for $59 and I'm thinking of getting another one. Doubles as a nice shooting mat which helps a lot since I don't bench shoot. Also uses no zippers for the main case, so can't break those. It use those strap snap thing... Totally blanking on the name.

Comment

• Frank45
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2016

Thanks. After that video I'm not even considering anything not made in the USA. I like the idea of a case folding out to a shooting mat but where I shoot mostly is pretty easy to just throw up a little table I have or throw down a small canvas tarp. I don't see anything on the Allen Co. website about all their cases being made in the USA but I am really thinking about buying three of them.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I just looked at the Allen cases I bought at Sportsman's then tried to find one online. Every vendor says they are no longer available.

Mine specifically has an American flag tag on it, and the factory tag says that it was Made in the USA.

I looked at Allen's site, and don't see any of the Made in USA references or flag either. Maybe they went imported?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Frank45
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2016

That would be a bummer. Maybe I should make a trip to Sportsman's before I buy. I saw one review on Amazon that said the stitching was falling apart before any use. I've got an old Allen case for the 20ga I got when I was 2 thats still going strong but if it's imported now I'm not interested.

Comment

• Frank45
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2016

Just found the Allen 2016 catalog, very few products still made in America. Too bad, I'll keep looking. Maybe SKB?

Comment

• Keep The Change
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2013

Condor is junk. I have a double rifle bag and it's popped a stitch because of a bad design in the joint. The only way I buy a cheap bag would be a backpack that is not going to used a great deal and I don't want to spend $300 on a small Eberlestock pack. If I use it a whole lot then I could justify that cost and I'm pretty easy on my stuff and take care of it.

But yes there is a ton of bad products out there.

For a hard padded case I bought a Pelican 1750 at Midway. They are pricey but watch for a sale. I paid $208 shipped at Midway. There are less expensive options that will probably work fine if not abused or if you are not a user that has countless trips to the range.

Comment

• wraith1516
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Pelican all the way if I break down I can fit 2 ar15 in it kinda like tetris but they fit

Comment

Working...
                              X